Successful phase III results for Alemtuzumab (Lemtrada(TM*))

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
MSUK
Family Elder

Successful phase III results for Alemtuzumab (Lemtrada(TM*))

Post by MSUK »

Genzyme, a Sanofi company , reports today that the Phase lll CARE-MS ll trial met both of its co-primary endpoints.

Relapse rate and sustained accumulation (worsening) of disability (SAD) were significantly reduced in multiple sclerosis patients receiving alemtuzumab (Lemtrada(TM)) as compared with Rebif(R) (44 mcg subcutaneous interferon beta-1a).

Results for both of these co-primary endpoints were highly statistically significant. CARE-MS II is the randomized Phase III clinical trial comparing the investigational drug alemtuzumab to interferon beta-1a in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS). Patients were required to have experienced a relapse while on a prior therapy to be eligible for CARE-MS II. Genzyme is developing alemtuzumab in MS in collaboration with Bayer HealthCare.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1307
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
KHL
Getting to Know You...

Re: Successful phase III results for Alemtuzumab (Lemtrada(T

Post by KHL »

BE CAREFUL... I was given this poison 4 years ago and again 3 yrs ago... was RRMS and after this went to SPMS - its highly toxic and if I could turn back the clock I would have refused :-(

One year ago I was treated for CCSVI which DID work :-)
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

You feel qualified to advise others on medical treatment, do you have a medical qualification? No, didn't think so. I went from 3-4 relapses a year to none in 7 years as a result of this 'poison' (Which unlike CCSVI has gone through rigorous testing). If you feel CCSVI has helped you I'm happy. If Campath didn't work for you then I'm sorry, but a post like yours has no place in this forum.

By all means, discuss / share your experience with Campath, both the good and the bad help to build a picture for those who may be making one of the most important decisions of their lives. Your post was neither informative or helpful. If you want to cheerlead for CCSVI then do so in the CCSVI forum, I'm sure you'll find many who will agree with you. However until CCSVI has gone through clinical trials and has solid evidence to back the claims made for it, it remains yet another fad. Campath on the other hand has clinical evidence to back the claims made for it.

Robin
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

:) Good to see you around again and to hear that you continue to do well Robin!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

How are you personally doing raven?
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

I'm doing well thanks Cure, all work and no play but that's life. Physically I've been absolutely stable, no hint of relapses.

Hi Lyon, nice to hear from you. I don't come here often these days. MS isn't a defining factor in my life anymore and this site isn't what it used to be. Proponents of one particular treatment option have pretty much stifled any rational debate, hence the rubbish that I responded to above.

Take care
Robin
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

raven wrote:Proponents of one particular treatment option have pretty much stifled any rational debate,
Yes, I've been banned from thisisms for an hour? a day, 3 days and a week. It seems I'm a hair's breadth from being banned for life so I'm trying to delete my personal information while I have still have access and I'm doing my best not to say anything and get myself banned in the meantime!

Although it'd be good to hear more from you, it's always awesome after all these long silences to hear that you're still doing well and no progression.

I know Ian considered his MS progression "aggressive" before he was treated with Campath but it's been so long since you were treated that I can't remember your exact pre-Campath situation.

I guess in those early days you obviously were very concerned or you wouldn't have considered something as out of the ordinary as Campath? In the meantime I'm going to search your earlier posts.
Bob
Alexandra
Family Member

Post by Alexandra »

HI Raven,

What was the protocol you followed with Campath?

Do you know in general which are the results of the patients? I've been reading on the internet that the efficiency is around 48%. Which is your view over it?
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

The protocol was 5 days of steroid infusions with 3 days of Campath infusions beginning on the third day. I can't remember the dose but I'm fairly sure I've mentioned it in previous posts if you wish to look. This was repeated a year later. As far as efficacy goes, I have no reason to dispute the quoted figures. I'm obviously one of the success stories and I also know of others who have had success but just from reading the forum it's clear that results vary. We are a long way from fully understanding MS and providing a universal treatment that works for all but I was in no position to wait.

Bob, don't worry, like goat serum, antibiotics and stem cells CCSVI will pass when more people are prepared to stand up and admit that the emperor really has no clothes (or it will turn out to be the cure for MS and we'll all rejoice although I seriously doubt that's going to happen). Until then keep your head down!

Robin
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

raven wrote: CCSVI will pass when more people are prepared to stand up and admit that the emperor really has no clothes (or it will turn out to be the cure for MS and we'll all rejoice although I seriously doubt that's going to happen). Until then keep your head down!
Absolutely, I can think of no better comparison than the "Emperor's new suit"!

I tried to get Ian's attention by starting a new thread in the general forum with his name as the "Subject" but he hasn't responded so far but he also continued to do well as of a few months ago.

It's appreciated that you stop in from time to time and let us know how you are doing.
arabia

Post by arabia »

when is will be available
ScaredofMS
Family Member

Post by ScaredofMS »

raven wrote:You feel qualified to advise others on medical treatment, do you have a medical qualification? No, didn't think so. I went from 3-4 relapses a year to none in 7 years as a result of this 'poison' (Which unlike CCSVI has gone through rigorous testing).
Robin

That is HUGE... WOW!
KHL
Getting to Know You...

Post by KHL »

apologies for delay in reply. Dont visit the site very often.
I didnt give any medical advice and wouldnt be so arrogant as to do so. I just said BE CAREFUL. My experience was not good as I went from RRMS to SPMS after having this. Went from 3.5 to 6.5 on the EDSS so it clearly doesnt work for everyone but good luck to those who do benefit
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

My neurologist , dr kapoor, at the national hospital for neurology was very against campath because of side effects. He took a similar stance with all the other new drugs but seemed positive about bg12. I guess he's got biogen shares.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
Gogo
Family Member

Post by Gogo »

KHL wrote:apologies for delay in reply. Dont visit the site very often.
I didnt give any medical advice and wouldnt be so arrogant as to do so. I just said BE CAREFUL. My experience was not good as I went from RRMS to SPMS after having this. Went from 3.5 to 6.5 on the EDSS so it clearly doesnt work for everyone but good luck to those who do benefit
Hi KHL,
I am sorry to hear your case. Did any neurologist conclude that Alemtuzumab cause the deterioration? I can not see the cause-effect relationship. By its well-known mechanism, Alemtuzumab should do well by killing the culprit T-cells. However, with progressive patients this just does not help. I would be very suprisd if it could cause deterioration, but correct me if I am wrong.

"...Alemtuzumab binds to an antigen called CD52 which is found on the surface of certain T-cells, a type of lymphocyte involved in the MS immune response, and kills the T-cell.

The early clinical trials of alemtuzumab were run in both relapsing and progressive types of MS.

In people with relapsing remitting MS, alemtuzumab reduced the numbers of relapses that people experienced and improved their disability levels immediately. Improvement in disability continued for up to three years after treatment.

However, more mixed results were seen in a study of 25 people with secondary progressive MS. MRI scans over seven years showed no new lesions forming in the brains and spinal cords of those participants who had been treated with alemtuzumab, but the people on this trial continued to accrue disability. This led researchers to the idea that something other than inflammation of myelin is at work in progressive MS. Subsequently, research has been directed at treating relapsing remitting MS. ..."