CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by uprightdoc »

It would be far better Coach if you had an expert like Dr. Harshfield review your scans for CTE as well as the degree of spondylosis. I have seen many cases of significant spondylosis that was marginalized in radiology reports. I recently reviewed eleven cases of MS associated with significant spondylosis.
icecube2
Family Member

Post by icecube2 »

Dr F

A friend of mine some years ago walked into a door, hit her nose causing injury, several weeks later she experienced double vision, so then went to an Optician who then referred her to her Doctor and eventually she received a diagnosis of MS.

My question is could the impact of the accident cause a problem in her cervical spine, that then affected her eyesight some weeks later.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Icecube2,
It absolutely could have caused a head and neck injury, especially because it caught her by surprise while the neck muscles were unprepared.
icecube2
Family Member

Post by icecube2 »

Dr F

She never connected the two, until we were talking about it yesterday, it happened years ago and that is why it is good that we can all talk together on here, because that is how we learn and its good to learn
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Does she have any other significant signs or symptoms? Does she have any lesions?
icecube2
Family Member

Post by icecube2 »

Dr F

She has bad fatigue, has to have a nap in the day every day, I think she has some bladder issues too,
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

The route the optic nerve and the cranial nerves that control the eye muscles follow inside the cranial vault, as well as the route the opthalmic artery follows to supply the eye, makes the eyes especially susceptible to head and neck trauma and misalignments. Fatigue is typically caused by poor circulation or oxygenation. In your friend's case, the internal carotid or vertebral arteries or both may be affected by head and neck misalignments. The bladder is controlled by lower nerve centers located near the tail end of the cord, as well as a higher center in the brainstem called the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus is supplied by the vertebral arteries. Decreased blood flow to the hypothalamus can affect the bladder control center. The hypothalamus can also be affected by surrounding CSF pressure in the cisterns. For more information on cisterns go to my website or blog.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Hi Dr is the device that is used for testing oxygen saturation that is clipped to a finger or toe usable for clipping onto an ear?

I had my BP, blood sugar, and saturation checked yesterday as I am at a low at the moment and asked the nurse to try the clip on my ear. 99% on fingers and 82% when clipped to an ear?

Has anyone access to one of these who could experiment and let me know what you find please.

Regards Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Nigel,
It sounds like it should work on the ear as well but I don't know. The nurse should know.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

I'm going to check it out more next week, we have a national holiday Monday. It seems to me to be a way to find out what is happening to the oxygen levels in our brain/blood. Might be a clue/measuring tool to the hypoxia that is happening?
The idea came from this clip I saw some months ago;
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... cUBlBOIsxQ
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

From Dr S' thread
Quote:
Venous congestion, particularly when caused by tricuspid regurgitation, may produce venous pulsations which may produce low readings with ear probes.
http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u05/u05_003.htm
http://www.oximeter.org/pulseox/lim_venous.htm
http://www.springerlink.com/content/q387524121462516/
Quote:
Central venous pulsations associated with a falsely low oxygen saturation measured by pulse oximetry

But would the flow effects of CCSVI be comparable to that of central venous pulsations or tricuspid heart regurgitation, enough to register and interfere wth an ear oximeter?

NZer1
Post subject: Re: DrSclafani answers some questionsPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Family Elder

Thank you so much Cece. Once again you have given soo much to the think tank.

After reading these articles I am of the opinion that there is grey areas with results. The bottom line is that there are circumstances like CCSVI that cause readings that are of concern!

Doubled checking the equipment and fitting seems to still indicate that there is reason for further assessment of what is happening for the patient, IMO as always!

Thanks Cece,
Nigel
icecube2
Family Member

Post by icecube2 »

Dr F

This is just a stab in the dark regarding a post on general board, can a misaligned Atlas affect the ability to taste

I know problems in the cervical spine can affect eyesight, but can it also affect all the senses, even sinuses the sense of smell.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Misalignment of the head and upper cervical spine causes volume and pressure changes as well as deformation within the neurovascular tunnels and cisterns of the cranial vault, which can affect any of the cranial nerves. The trigeminal nerve portion of the sense of taste can be affected by problems related to the cavernous sinus. The glossopharyngeal portion of taste can be affected by problems related to the jugular foramen. A Chiari malformation or pressure conus (descent of the brain within the cranial vault) can also affect the cranial nerves.

The link below is to a page on my website regarding the theories of dural tension and dentate ligament distortion due to cervical strains and their impact on the brain and cord.

http://www.upright-health.com/foramen-magnum.html
Hooch
Family Member

Post by Hooch »

I have a question - I have received CCSVI treatment (nearly 18 mths and holding important benefits like sleeping deeper and less fatigue). I was away recently and developed Bell's Palsy. It mostly has gone away - quite quickly I believe (about 10 days). Because of the brainstem and demyelination of the facial nerve that I believe are involved in this should I be seeking UCCA for my atlas and/or dental treatment for TMJ? This will be a large financial burden as my benefits here in Canada are minimal.
I have arthritic changes C5 through to C7 and a recent xray of my neck did show some dental changes I believe in the joint.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Hooch,

The facial nerve is susceptible to compression from inflammation and irritation due to the tight tunnel it passes through along with the accoustic nerve. Irritation of the accoustic nerve causes tinnitus in many MS patients. Because of its position on the front wall of the posterior fossa the facial and accoustic nerves are also susceptible to shear stresses inside the cranial vault due to misalignment of the head and upper cervical spine, which strain the dura and dentate ligament mentioned in my previous comment. Click on the link to the page I wrote on the foramen magnum.

MS has been connected to cervical trauma. If you have MS, it is worth it to get your upper cervical spine checked by a qualified NUCCA or AO doctor.