What did not get covered at ISNVD?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

What did not get covered at ISNVD?

Post by Cece »

This will probably be an incomplete list, but I wanted to start it. What did not covered at ISNVD?

There was no live demonstration of a CCSVI procedure.

There was no neurointerventional radiologist. There was no discussion of the venous sinuses.

There was no completed large-scale, university research. Brave Dreams may be getting underway, but completion is a long way off.

There was no discussion of the condylar emissary veins, and what can be gleaned by looking at these veins.
Billmeik
Family Elder

Re: What did not get covered at ISNVD?

Post by Billmeik »

I'm still trying to learn what got covered, do you think there will be video?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CCSVI-in ... 9503156417
All sessions were recorded and the ISNVD will be making a decision about ordering the CD’s – the cost – and to whom they will be available. Please understand the Scientific Sessions were attended by medical students and professionals who paid a significant amount of money to attend and receive CME credits – this needs to be taken into account when offering recordings to another audience.
What other conferences have laymen wanting to watch the vids? It is something to celebrate that there is this intense interest in CCSVI. We are better patients when we are better informed. I would like it if the videos were made available to all, at no cost.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I like that Dr. Franz Schelling was recognized!

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Cece wrote:This will probably be an incomplete list, but I wanted to start it. What did not covered at ISNVD?

There was no live demonstration of a CCSVI procedure.

There was no neurointerventional radiologist. There was no discussion of the venous sinuses.

There was no completed large-scale, university research. Brave Dreams may be getting underway, but completion is a long way off.

There was no discussion of the condylar emissary veins, and what can be gleaned by looking at these veins.
This meeting was not procedure focused. still lots more on MRI
there were neurosurgeons, there was a talk on stenting of the sinuses
trials take a long long time
schelling and I are alone on this one
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
Patient contact: ccsviliberation@gmail.com
MarkW
Family Elder

Patient's Needs - covered at ISNVD?

Post by MarkW »

I nearly joined the conference but practical issues stepped in (my wife's work). If I had been there I would have been very vocal about patient's needs. The conference appears to have forgotten about pwMS and other neuro diseases, very sad.
A simple series of questions on CCSVI syndrome asks:
Who, Why, When, What, and How.
Who has CCSVI syndrome ? - pwMS and ????
When is CCSVI syndrome seen ? at birth? 5 years after MS?
What is seen in CCSVI syndrome ? stenosis of vein valves? veins? Which veins?
Why does CCSVI syndrome develop ? Least important for patients but good for reseachers !!!!
How is CCSVI syndrome seen ? Screening test, full diagnosis.

ISNVD must decide if it is a patient focussed or research focussed organisation.
Your critical friend,
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

ISNVD is research focused, it is for the doctors.
CCSVI Alliance is for patients, and co-sponsored the Patients Day.
www.ccsvi.org

What did not get covered? There was NO press coverage. There was a press conference held, and I have not seen one single article on google news. I know Anne Kingston was there and will be writing for Macleans, but that's about it.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
MarkW
Family Elder

Patient's Needs - covered at ISNVD?

Post by MarkW »

MarkW wrote: ISNVD must decide if it is a patient focussed or research focussed organisation.
Your critical friend,
MarkW
To be clear:
ISNVD must decide if the papers and discussions at conference should be focussed on refining therapies which may be used on patients or focussed on research around CCSVI syndrome.

It appears to me that the majority of papers were focussed on research around CCSVI syndrome. I suggest that the leadership of ISNVD consider patients as a priority until therapies for CCSVI syndrome are in mainstream medicine. Then conduct the research to answer the question of 'why'. The first approach is often used in the pharmaceutical industry, with the focus on delivering a marketible solution for patients. Academic research usually wants to answer 'why it works' before answering 'does it work'.

Your critical friend,
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
marcstck
Family Elder

Post by marcstck »

cheerleader wrote:ISNVD is research focused, it is for the doctors.
CCSVI Alliance is for patients, and co-sponsored the Patients Day.
http://www.ccsvi.org

What did not get covered? There was NO press coverage. There was a press conference held, and I have not seen one single article on google news. I know Anne Kingston was there and will be writing for Macleans, but that's about it.
cheer

You're absolutely right, Joan. I'm always searching for MS related news articles, and didn't see anything about ISNVD. The continued silence of the press in the US is deafening.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Patient's Needs - covered at ISNVD?

Post by Cece »

Didn't Dr. Sclafani mention that ISNVD was not procedure-focused, and that around 1 in 5 attendees were IRs?
Here is their Who We Are statement:
Who We Are
The International Society for NeuroVascular Disease is a non-profit professional association devoted to furthering the development of research for neurovascular related diseases - including CCSVI. The society will hold annual scientific meetings and sponsor educational and scientific workshops. Target medical groups include, but are not limited to, Vascular Surgeons, Interventional Radiologists, Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, Physicists, and Technologists.
http://www.isnvd.org/
They define themselves as research-focused, which would include research into techniques but also into the "why it works" side.
I like that they cast a broad net. Proceduralists do need additional more focused meetings. Perhaps SIR fills that need? Or Dr. Sclafani's NY symposium?

Who, what, where, when, how and why! All good questions. They can be asked of CCSVI itself, and they can be asked of the treatment of CCSVI (who benefits/patient selection; what is being treated; where; when/how often should the treatment be repeated or how early in the disease course; how/all the techniques, including ivus; and why/does it result in benefits.)

I didn't pick up on the silence in the press over ISVND, but now that Joan mentions it, it is rather glaring.
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

my idea is that last years conferences were full of good news and results while this year not so much? Just a guess.
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

fox's results are very good news
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Was there press coverage at last year's ISNVD? I can't remember. I remember that CCSVI got a lot of press attention at last year's ISET, and not as much at this year's.

In a different thread Dr. Sclafani said something to the effect that one thing not covered at ISNVD was the entire subject of restenosis. That's an important topic!
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Cece wrote:
In a different thread Dr. Sclafani said something to the effect that one thing not covered at ISNVD was the entire subject of restenosis. That's an important topic!
Heck Ya. from lurking on this forum for a few years it would seem that many peeps restenose within weeks.
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
drsclafani
Family Elder

Re: Patient's Needs - covered at ISNVD?

Post by drsclafani »

MarkW wrote:I nearly joined the conference but practical issues stepped in (my wife's work). If I had been there I would have been very vocal about patient's needs. The conference appears to have forgotten about pwMS and other neuro diseases, very sad.
A simple series of questions on CCSVI syndrome asks:
Who, Why, When, What, and How.
Who has CCSVI syndrome ? - pwMS and ????
When is CCSVI syndrome seen ? at birth? 5 years after MS?
What is seen in CCSVI syndrome ? stenosis of vein valves? veins? Which veins?
Why does CCSVI syndrome develop ? Least important for patients but good for reseachers !!!!
How is CCSVI syndrome seen ? Screening test, full diagnosis.

ISNVD must decide if it is a patient focussed or research focussed organisation.
Your critical friend,
MarkW
Mark you ask good questions,
it is pretty clear to this humble plumber that the researchers held the day. But everything about ccsvi is about researching a proposal that is not necessarily intuitive. Research is definitely required. basic information is important to those entering this field of treatment.
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
Patient contact: ccsviliberation@gmail.com

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”