What things make your MS symptoms feel worse?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Hot weather.
20%
Hot shower.
16%
Eating a big meal.
9%
Exercising.
7%
Sleeping too little.
15%
Sleeping too much.
8%
Other- Explain below
5%
Counter-Check this box so we know how many people took the poll.
20%

Total votes: 75

David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Questions for people with MS.
1eye
Family Elder

Re: What things make your MS symptoms feel worse?

Post by 1eye »

I voted for everything except sleeping too little. The reason I think the big meal is there is that it increases my core temperature when I am digesting. I think the stress is a main, not recognized one. I get stressed now when I know I am overheated because I know I am going to have problems, so that adds to the stress. I am not sure what stress does to your temperature, but I know fight-or-flight chemistry includes an increase of adrenaline, which constricts blood supply (so you are less vulnerable when you lose blood). If it's this constriction that affects my brain, maybe that is because my oxygenation and food supply are already compromise by low flow, and the adrenaline makes it worse.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
tiltawhirl
Family Elder

Post by tiltawhirl »

I didn't check excercise, because I am a slothful bugger and simply refuse to excercise. :lol: So not sure if that category would or would not make my symptoms worse.

For the record, I am 5'7, 139lbs, so clearly not overweight.

I checked both the Hot's by the way.

Quick Story
I had literally scoffed at the notion of heat intolerance in M.S. patients. I had never experienced it in the ten years of the disease course and I thought it was ironically 'all in their minds'.
(My first Neuro told me what was happening to me was all in my mind. But I'm not bitter about that ;)) )
So as a raging Walt Disney World fan and self confessed Theme Park Commando with tons of visits to Florida during the hot summer months without any issue at all, I figured going to Punta Cana in the Dominican this past November would be a snapperoony.

Ha ha.

I was a new believer in the heat intolerance in M.S. Patients. In fact I was so sick every time I went out into the sun, it was unbelievable. Needless to say by the third day I had figured it out and spent the rest of the time in the room during the day and became a vampire amongst the rest of the happy couples. I now notice it 'coming on' when I have the shower too hot as well.
True story.

tilt
...and I for one, welcome our new Neurologist overlords!

My before and after CCSVI treatment video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhosV4_DvWw
Visit my Lego Amusement Rides website http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Bolliger
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

stress!
mazza
Family Member

Post by mazza »

Shivering due to cold weather. This seems to affect muscles, making walking and co-ordinating my gait more difficult.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

heat of any type from bath too warm, temp. too warm, clothing that holds body heat food too warm makes me weak and everything feels heavier. if too cold i get really stiff and hurt. when the weather is changeing all hell breaks loose. then of course stress. in fact my left side remained normal for yrs. but about 4 yrs. ago i had major stress and i actually felt it affect the left side that day and it was all downhill from then on.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

mazza wrote:Shivering due to cold weather. This seems to affect muscles, making walking and co-ordinating my gait more difficult.
Yeah I got that one too. I should have included that on the list. Stress too. Oh well that's what "Other" is for.
Hockeydad
Family Member

Post by Hockeydad »

As the name implies , I spend a lot of time in hockey arenas. The cold does really affect me. My feet get numb and extremely cold and I shake (I guess shiver). On the other hand, I love the heat.
RRMS since Feb , 2010. No drugs, just vitamins and exercise.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

blossom wrote:heat of any type from bath too warm, temp. too warm, clothing that holds body heat food too warm makes me weak and everything feels heavier. if too cold i get really stiff and hurt. when the weather is changeing all hell breaks loose. then of course stress. in fact my left side remained normal for yrs. but about 4 yrs. ago i had major stress and i actually felt it affect the left side that day and it was all downhill from then on.
For me the onset of MS followed a period of high stress.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Excessive vasodilation and excessive vasoconstriction. Within 2 hours of taking low dose aspirin my walking becomes much stiffer. Low dose aspirin is a relatively mild vasodilator. My blood vessels are likely still dilated from a recent pregnancy where I suffered my worst relapse to date. The blood vessel around the damaged area of the brain must be susceptible to the aspirin.

I suffered a new relapse after taking large doses of horsechestnut several years ago.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
offaduxback

Post by offaduxback »

Its a well known here in England that stress exacerbates symptoms that in my opinion is why a lot of teachers are diagnosed with the condition as a very stressful occupation, as also does glandular fever or the virus that causes it contributes towards it, as has a bearing on CFS (Constant fatigue syndrome.)

These are just my opinions ok, as I believe in my case, why my Atlas became misaligned in the first place, was because of nervous tension caused by STRESS