Has anyone been treated by Dr. Arslan?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
David1949
Family Elder

Has anyone been treated by Dr. Arslan?

Post by David1949 »

Dr. Arslan was previously practicing in Florida, but has now moved to the Rush Medical Center In Chicago. Has anyone been treated by him at either location? If so, I would like to hear your opinions.
David1949
Family Elder

Re: Has anyone been treated by Dr. Arslan?

Post by David1949 »

Well to answer my own question it seems the question was previously asked at TIMS:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 13938.html
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

That was from 2010, it would be good to hear from someone who has been treated more recently or at the new location.

I am getting anxious, David, to find out how the procedure works for you. From what you said in the other thread, you don't have some of the traditional CCSVI symptoms. (And that's a good thing! Cogfog is awful, fatigue is awful, memory impairment is awful, etc.) I've posted many quotes from people in the improvement reports talking about improvements in walking so that is what I've got my fingers crossed for you. Even staying the same would be an improvement, if getting worse is the trajectory? I was a member here at TiMS for over a year before I ended up getting treated, and that's unusual these days, so we are similar in that. Keep asking the questions, I wish there were more answers coming. Does Dr. Arslan have a facebook page?
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I'm getting a little anxious too.

There are many Dr. Arslans on facebook but as far as I can tell none of them is this Dr. Arslan. I've seen videos pre and post ccsvi for two of his patients. Both seemed to do well, but the videos are both old. It's hard to find recent videos on CCSVI at all now.

Dr. Arslan has done over 250 CCSVI procedures. He said only two have gotten worse. (that's good news)
He said restenosis rate is about 50% in 18 months.
His estimate of the likelyhood that the procedure would help me was higher than what I had mentioned. ( also good news)

I've decided that it's time to stop fooling around and just do it!
I'm about 1/2 notch from the wheelchair on the EDSS scale so if I want to walk into the clinic now is the time.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Dave
HeatherJoy

Post by HeatherJoy »

David- I just met with dr arslan on tues. - its about a year and a half after your post and il wondering what your outcome was/is?
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Heather I have not met with Dr. Arslan yet. I'm going to see him on the week of April 23. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I return home on Friday the 27th.

Dave
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

if the clinic has wifi you can let us know even sooner :wink:
MegansMom
Family Elder

Post by MegansMom »

I have not been treated by Dr Arslen but I have met him a few times. And I know a few patients of his.
You would find them on CCSVI FLORIDA Facebbok. Go to youtube and put in "ccsvi Barbara"

I think he is a very good choice with good experience. I am an RN and the mom of someone with MS (35) who had CCSVI treated. So I think I am a fairly good judge. Dr Arslen seems to be very knowledgable and keeps abreast of the research. He cares about his patients and he keeps in touch with other pioneers of CCSVI and its treatment. I was sad to hear that he left Tampa FL .

My daughter was treated at Shand's in Gainesville. She was newly diagnosed with MS at the time.
That was in Oct 2010 ....she remains virtually MS symptom free with 20/15 vision. And no evidence of MS on physical exam. Her MRIs are the only thing that gives it away.

I hope you have a similar experience!
Last edited by MegansMom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cat (Catherine Somerville on FB)
MegansMom
My 35 yo daughter is newly dx 8/19/10 (had 12 symptoms)
Dx with Type A CCSVI- 1 IJV & double "candy wrapper" appearance of her Azygos
Venoplasty done Sept 21, 2010
Doing extremely well-
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

MegansMom
Thank you for the info and the words of encouragement. Yes I'm seeing Dr. Arslan the week of 4/23. I've seen the Barbara video and also Wendy's. I think things turned out very well for both of them.

I hope your daughter remains free from this monster forever.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Dave

My prayer is that one day this site will be called "This Was MS."
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

Good luck on your procedure/eval etc.
Mark
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

CureIous wrote:Good luck on your procedure/eval etc.
Mark
Thank you for the good wishes.

Dave
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

Good luck but you won't need it.

I've met Dr. Arslan and he's great. He worked under Dake in VA and as been plugged into CCSVI since the beginning. He's warm and friendly and genuine.

I personally know Barbara Garcia, Nicki Beagle Watts and several others treated by him (most more than once), and they've had impovements. None are "cured" but I think they'd all agree they did the right thing. They're all on facebook, and love to share.
rena77

Post by rena77 »

i have been treated by Dr Arslan. i cant believe that there are just two patients with negative outcomes.
i am disapointed with Dr Arslan as there was no support , follow up when my MS did get worse i could live with the negative result, but being afterwards ignored is just unprofessional, as the saying goes 'success has many fathers, failure is an orphan;

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”