Quick question about Canadian doctors...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
randilynn

Quick question about Canadian doctors...

Post by randilynn »

So I'm going in for my first MRI (ever) in a week, and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Canadian healthcare system regarding this. Mostly, I'm wondering how long it'll be from the date of the MRI for my neurologist to call me in to discuss the results. Will it be same day? Or is there any way I could request a copy of the images for my own records? I don't really know any protocol for the MRIs other than show up on time, dress comfy, and take out all my piercings...

If there are multiple visible lesions (I'm getting a brain MRI and a C-spine one) will they still order a lumbar puncture?

As it stands I've had three separate symptoms common to MS'ers so I'm not really going to be too surprised with a diagnosis- I'm mostly just sick of waiting and having doctor after doctor waffling around definitive answers. I'd rather know for sure and be able to discuss treatments and regimens with my neurologist.

Sorry for the barrage of questions I've got a lot on my mind, I suppose...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Quick question about Canadian doctors...

Post by jimmylegs »

my mri xp is atypical - it was all done on a rush basis.

i have a copy of my mri on CD. i paid for it. i can't remember how much it was so it can't have been a big deal.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

sorry i can't answer your questions directly. i think each doc will be different.

about all you an do is "show up on time, dress comfy, and take out all my piercings"

but once there you can ask questions and demand service. i don't see any reason why you couldn't have a copy. you may have to pay for it though.

i assume they should be able to tell you how long it will take to see results after you see them. i know it is hard but try not to worry. that never helps.

while you are waiting, there are things you can do. diet is always good. i also think the more you know the better you are. you mentioned "order a lumbar puncture". if you go in and ask smart questions about this they should listen (if not find another doc). knowledge is power (but don't show up the poor neuro with your knowledge).

good luck
broomdancer
Family Member

Post by broomdancer »

My husband's MRI was done in a hurry also..our GP seen him in Emerge on a Fri than he we went immediately to another hospital where there was an opening for the machine. The Mon morning he was at our GP's office where the dx was MS. It was about 3 weeks later that he first visited a Neuro. We didn't have to pay for a copy of the MRI scan, nor for the csvi scan at first, but later when we needed a CSVI scan for a follow up in 2011 we had to pay $250 for the test & a copy of the scan.They told my husband that he didnot need a lumbar puncture, that the MRI was all that was needed.
Wishing you the best. Diana
Punchy
Family Elder

Post by Punchy »

It depends where you are, as health care regulation is provincial and wait times vary by region.

In Toronto, generally tests and scans are sent to the doctor within ten days. It may take longer to get in for an appointment with a neurologist, however.

You have a right to view your hospital medical file. But you will have to pay for a CD or print of the MRI.

I suggest you call your neurologist and ask them how soon you can get in, and how long it takes them to receive the MRI. The receptionist will know better than anyone.

Good luck!