Stress Management May Prevent MS Brain Lesions

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Thomas
Family Elder

Stress Management May Prevent MS Brain Lesions

Post by Thomas »

July 11, 2012 -- Teaching MS patients how to deal with stress can improve their quality of life -- and may also prevent or slow down formation of new brain lesions, according to a new study.

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis ... agement-ms
ScaredofMS
Family Member

Re: Stress Management May Prevent MS Brain Lesions

Post by ScaredofMS »

Is there anything with MS that is definitive? Every time I see a new study or treatment its always "suggests" "may" "promising" etc.
easyt65

Re: Stress Management May Prevent MS Brain Lesions

Post by easyt65 »

I can't speak for 'MS' or 'everyone' with MS, but personally I DO know that stress is one of the main 'triggers' of increased MS symptoms / episodes. Tests done during these times show increased lesion activity. I am in an extreme job that adds, at times, a lot of stress. I am not in a position to completely retire, and I love what I am doing despite the stress, so I have had to actively take steps to reduce that stress. According to more recent tests, doing so has helped reduce/eliminate many symptoms and decrease lesion activity. I am no doctor, and as I said I can't speak for everyone, but I know stress reduction has and continues to prove critical for me. That's all the studies I need.