Could aldosterone gone bad be the cause of ccsvi and ms?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Could aldosterone gone bad be the cause of ccsvi and ms?

Post by jimmylegs »

ah ok, couple questions then - have you had a zinc test done lately? is your diet low gluten?

i'm not saying zinc is everything, it's just SO many different pathways involve zinc, it's practically ubiquitous and an easy first go-to when there are issues - esp w. fertility.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

selenium's another important antiviral component of the family anti-mono regimen. also important for expecting moms, though i hadn't looked at it specifically for fertility before (at least, not that i recall without going back through correspondence with others).

Low levels of selenium in miscarriage
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4/abstract
Abstract
Few data are presented in the literature about selenium and miscarriage. The aim of this article was to study the relationship between the selenium status of pregnant women and miscarriage. A randomized, controlled trial was performed in Elazig State Hospital and Firat University Hospital. Serum and hair samples were obtained from 20 non-pregnant women, 32 healthy mothers with normal newborns, and 16 women who miscarried. Serum selenium levels, as ng/mL, and hair selenium levels, as ng/g, were determined on a Perkin–Elmer 1000 spectrophotometer by fluorometry. The mean serum and hair selenium concentrations of the women who miscarried (42.8 ± 2.7 ng/mL, 276 ± 6.6 ng/g, respectively) were significantly lower than those of the control healthy mothers (50.2 ± 2.3 ng/mL, 300 ± 6.1 ng/g, respectively) and the non-pregnant women (58.1 ± 3.1 ng/mL, 315 ± 7.6 ng/g, respectively). Maternal selenium deficiency during early gestation was thought to be one of the factors responsible in the pathogenesis of miscarriage. More studies on maternal selenium status during pregnancy are needed.

The Interaction Between Selenium Status, Sex Hormones, and Thyroid Metabolism in Adolescent Girls in the Luteal Phase of their Menstrual Cycle
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... rue#page-1
Abstract The objective of the present work was to study all physiological relationships among selenium status (SeS), sex hormones secretion (SH), and thyroid metabolism (ThM) in healthy adolescent girls, at one time. ... PLS method was, for the first time, successfully applied to the problem of selenium and hormone interactions and revealed that selenium status and female reproductive system are interrelated and affect thyroid physiology in adolescent girls in the luteal phase. The strongest associations were revealed for the pairs of parameters, Se and fT4/fT3, Se and P4, the modest ones for the pairs, Se and ThV, P4 and fT4/fT3, Se and AoM, and P4 and AoM. Se and P4 had the greatest influence on ThM parameters.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

just to bring it back around to aldosterone..

Effect of selenium on blood pressure, urinary sodium excretion and plasma aldosterone in cadmium-treated male rats
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 91?LI=true
The present study was carried out to help elucidate the possible mechanisms underlying the effect of Cd and the interaction of Se with Cd on blood pressure. Male Wistar rats were divided into four groups: control, Cd-treated, Se-treated, Se-and Cd-treated. Cd and Se were administered at doses of 1.0 mg/kg body weight by subcutaneous injection of aqueous solutions of CdCl2·2×1/2 H2O and Na2SeO3, respectively. ... Plasma aldosterone concentrations increased and urinary Na excretion decreased from day 1 to 3 in rats treated with Cd and Se separately. ...
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

jimmylegs wrote:ah ok, couple questions then - have you had a zinc test done lately? is your diet low gluten? .
I've never had my zinc tested. Who knows what it's doing? I think I will have my future endocrinologist run a full vitamin mineral test.

My diet is gluten rich. Love my whole grains and seitan faux chicken. I'm mostly vegan...occasional cheese or egg in rare baked treats. I've read your history. Don't even try to talk me into eating meat again. Lol. I tried fish once and felt like a lump in my stomach for days. Yuck.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

jimmylegs wrote:selenium's another important antiviral component of the family anti-mono regimen. also important for expecting moms, though i hadn't looked at it specifically for fertility before (at least, not that i recall without going back through correspondence with others).

Low levels of selenium in miscarriage
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4/abstract
Abstract
Few data are presented in the literature about selenium and miscarriage. The aim of this article was to study the relationship between the selenium status of pregnant women and miscarriage. A randomized, controlled trial was performed in Elazig State Hospital and Firat University Hospital. Serum and hair samples were obtained from 20 non-pregnant women, 32 healthy mothers with normal newborns, and 16 women who miscarried. Serum selenium levels, as ng/mL, and hair selenium levels, as ng/g, were determined on a Perkin–Elmer 1000 spectrophotometer by fluorometry. The mean serum and hair selenium concentrations of the women who miscarried (42.8 ± 2.7 ng/mL, 276 ± 6.6 ng/g, respectively) were significantly lower than those of the control healthy mothers (50.2 ± 2.3 ng/mL, 300 ± 6.1 ng/g, respectively) and the non-pregnant women (58.1 ± 3.1 ng/mL, 315 ± 7.6 ng/g, respectively). Maternal selenium deficiency during early gestation was thought to be one of the factors responsible in the pathogenesis of miscarriage. More studies on maternal selenium status during pregnancy are needed.

The Interaction Between Selenium Status, Sex Hormones, and Thyroid Metabolism in Adolescent Girls in the Luteal Phase of their Menstrual Cycle
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... rue#page-1
Abstract The objective of the present work was to study all physiological relationships among selenium status (SeS), sex hormones secretion (SH), and thyroid metabolism (ThM) in healthy adolescent girls, at one time. ... PLS method was, for the first time, successfully applied to the problem of selenium and hormone interactions and revealed that selenium status and female reproductive system are interrelated and affect thyroid physiology in adolescent girls in the luteal phase. The strongest associations were revealed for the pairs of parameters, Se and fT4/fT3, Se and P4, the modest ones for the pairs, Se and ThV, P4 and fT4/fT3, Se and AoM, and P4 and AoM. Se and P4 had the greatest influence on ThM parameters.
Taking selenium according to Wheldon protocol. Btw, I am not trying to conceive. I'm trying to survive my sons tween years. :)
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

jimmylegs wrote:just to bring it back around to aldosterone..

Effect of selenium on blood pressure, urinary sodium excretion and plasma aldosterone in cadmium-treated male rats
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 91?LI=true
The present study was carried out to help elucidate the possible mechanisms underlying the effect of Cd and the interaction of Se with Cd on blood pressure. Male Wistar rats were divided into four groups: control, Cd-treated, Se-treated, Se-and Cd-treated. Cd and Se were administered at doses of 1.0 mg/kg body weight by subcutaneous injection of aqueous solutions of CdCl2·2×1/2 H2O and Na2SeO3, respectively. ... Plasma aldosterone concentrations increased and urinary Na excretion decreased from day 1 to 3 in rats treated with Cd and Se separately. ...
Hm. I suppose this means the se is increasing my aldosterone levels. Of course, I'm not taking even close to the weight adjusted dosage they are.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hahaha, best of luck making it through the tweens :)

just following up on your earlier comment re miscarriage, possible connections btw susceptibility to infection and low fertility.

HEY where did my last post go >:P

how much selenium per day do you take (don't know the wheldon details)?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

anyhoo, what i said before was, wow, dietary gluten-rich and zinc-poor.. sounds like 50mg zinc gluconate per day may not be enough to keep your serum zinc levels up near 18umol/L! hope you can get that test done soon :)
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

jimmylegs wrote:hahaha, best of luck making it through the tweens :)

just following up on your earlier comment re miscarriage, possible connections btw susceptibility to infection and low fertility.

HEY where did my last post go >:P

how much selenium per day do you take (don't know the wheldon details)?
200mcg per day. I don't think Wheldon specifies an amount so I just take what the bottle tells me to take. I eat lots of mushrooms too.

What's your take on supplementing with salt tablets? It might suppress Aldo but I'm reluctant to go there for obvious reasons.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

200 mcg is pretty standard. what form is yours? selenomethionine?

i wouldn't take salt pills. do you have aldosterone results? or is that a pending test?

regardless, if you feel bad at a time when aldo is higher, AND zinc is lower.. well let's just say if you have the opportunity to share results at some point down the road, that i shall await your bloodwork with anticipation :)
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

jimmylegs wrote:200 mcg is pretty standard. what form is yours? selenomethionine?

i wouldn't take salt pills. do you have aldosterone results? or is that a pending test?
Methylselenocysteine with broccomax! Wow.

No tests done yet. I dropped off all my Aldo research stuff at my neurologist today to prepare him for my next off the wall request. Will see what he thinks at January appt. and go from there.

Thanks for all your help!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

cool - while you're having aldo tested see if he'll go for zinc too. what with the vegan gluten diet and all. i think it would be wise :) and, yvw :D
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

http://www.immortalhair.org/physiology.htm

This is a great page explaining in layman's terms the relationship between aldosterone and different vitamin/minerals supported with links to studies/abstracts...and it might even help you grow great hair!

Highlights:

Magnesium supplementation can lower aldosterone levels. Mg deficiency elevates aldosterone production.

Vitamin D can lower aldosterone levels. Like MS, hypertension (aldosterone-connected) is much less prevalent in the tropics. Hmmm....
MarkW
Family Elder

Post by MarkW »

Anonymoose asks: Could aldosterone gone bad be the cause of ccsvi and ms?
Highly unlikely that MS has one cause. A factor in MS in some people is
possible as there appears to be many factors involved in MS.
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I believe I read that LDN stimulates FSH and LH. Maybe that is connected with its effectiveness when precisely timed in synchrony with other circadian cycles. Maybe circadian release of aldosterone can get out of whack too?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)