Poll: IJV issues and umbilical cord association

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

If you have IJV malformation, was the umbilical cord wrapped around your neck in utero?

Yes
No votes
No
40%
I don't know
60%

Total votes: 5

Anonymoose
Family Elder

Poll: IJV issues and umbilical cord association

Post by Anonymoose »

:?:
Jugular
Family Elder

Re: Poll: IJV issues and umbilical cord association

Post by Jugular »

I forget.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I googled to see what the normal percentage of cord-wrapped-around-neck is: 37% (in full term babies). Higher than I expected. It's only 12% if the baby is born at 24-26 weeks. The development of jugular veins and valves happens very early on, as the embryonic cardinal system matures. Umbilical cord around the neck could contribute to thrombosis of the jugular veins, potentially. That would have a distinct appearance. It would have to be around the neck at the time of development of the jugular valves to have an impact on congenital malformation. Very interesting.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/12/S1/A6 % of nuchal cords
http://www.embryology.ch/anglais/pcardio/venen01.html embryonic venous development
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Jugular,
I don't remember it either. It was family folklore as my older brother and sister loved to tell me about how our mom tried to snuff me out by strangling me in her belly. Oh the sweet memories of childhood. :lol:

Cece,

Thanks for the links. Very interesting that veins are much less uniform than arteries.

(btw, didn't vote because I don't know if I have wonky jugulars)
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

My birth was a normal delivery, but my son, born 25 yrs ago, was a forceps delivery -- when I saw the size/shape of the forceps and the look in the doctor's eyes when he made the decision, I screamed in fear for my baby. I always worried what might have happened to his skull and neck, and now I know that perhaps his IJVs were damaged or his Atlas was misaligned.