Copaxone working this soon!

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
Cammie
Family Member

Copaxone working this soon!

Post by Cammie »

It' s only been 3 and 1/2 months but I feel that I am getting results. Every day my walking is improving, albeit only a little at a time. I know I am fortunate if the first medicine I try is the one that works! I still feel a little impatient, because like everyone else I want ALL of my mobility back now, and all of my old functioning. But I am grateful for the gradual improvement.
Cammie
Family Member

Re: Copaxone working this soon!

Post by Cammie »

Now it's been almost 5 months since I started Copaxone. I have run into a couple of people who say that Copaxone started working early for them, after only a few weeks instead of at least 6 months. But some people think it's impossible for the Copaxone to kick in that early. Was my MS starting to remit anyway? Since everybody's body is different, who's to know for sure? But I honestly think Copaxone did go to work early. My mobility is still gradually increasing. How devastating it was when I could not walk at all!
coffeeandpie

Post by coffeeandpie »

Congratulations! Had the same reaction with Avonex. Waiting to see if Copaxone does the same eventually. About a year and nothing major so far. Just wish Avonex hadn't had the mental side effects.
TigerEyes19

Post by TigerEyes19 »

coffeeandpie wrote:Congratulations! Had the same reaction with Avonex. Waiting to see if Copaxone does the same eventually. About a year and nothing major so far. Just wish Avonex hadn't had the mental side effects.
I am just curious about the mental side effects you refer to...can you elaborate some?
RRMS Dx - 5/15/2012 ; Copaxone since - 8/15/2012
coffeeandpie

Post by coffeeandpie »

TigerEyes19 wrote:
coffeeandpie wrote:Congratulations! Had the same reaction with Avonex. Waiting to see if Copaxone does the same eventually. About a year and nothing major so far. Just wish Avonex hadn't had the mental side effects.
I am just curious about the mental side effects you refer to...can you elaborate some?
Sorry for the delay, sure. Lack of mental clarity, delusions, etc. My life was screwed for so long though, I don't know what was the chicken or egg. I just know it at least aggrevated things, badly. Life is more stressful than nutty now, but because I don't again know what triggered what, I'm on Copaxone. It kind of sucks because for several years on Avonex it felt like I didn't have MS. Before it did, and now it does. It's just hard to lose your mind for a bit, then trust any drug again, let alone the same one. I know it says a worsening of pre-existing problems or new, but I don't think it was new, or all new. So don't let my experience concern anyone too much, my life hasn't been exactly normal. If it were, I doubt it would have happened. No other side effects. The chills people speak of were only there when I forgot to take a tylenol. A tylenol and coke became my enjoyed weekly ritual, and no problems, until things got weird; but I honestly believe it was aggrevating a problem more than causing one. But the unknowns with everything MS are kind of annoying. And the norm.
stazmatic
Family Member

Post by stazmatic »

nm
sorshya

Post by sorshya »

Hello,

I'm new here but coffeandpie this post really interested me. I was also on Avonex and found the side effects worse than the benefits. Mine were physical flu like symptoms and I lost a great deal of weight because I just couldn't eat for 4 days after injecting. I made the decision to go off the drug however because of the mental reactions which seem similar to yours albeit not as dramatic. I couldn't manage to reason through emotions and actually found a term for it online called "emotional liability" Apparently this is often related to fatigue and is frequently present in MS patients. It's frustrating because being a normally reasonable person, I found myself crying or yelling over something I couldn't even remember later. These are the parts of the disease that I can't handle because it actually seems like you just went crazy, and furthermore it seems like something you SHOULD be able to control.

I stopped Avonex and after a disapointing MRI, I decided to try Copaxone. I have only injected for 3 days now but the side effects seem so much more mild. I will take the stinging over my previous experience any day. I'm optimistic, so good luck :)
-Samantha
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't you're right"
~Henry Ford
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

I am happy to report that I have been injecting Copaxone since October 7th 2011, I suffered my mildest relapse in December 2011, and as of right now I have been 1 year relapse free! I do however notice a flare of old symptoms every so often, but none lasting more than a few days, and not nearly as severe. Good luck to all of you on the Copaxone journey! I personally am glad I chose to go with it, and am equally grateful that it is the first drug I have taken for my MS....the lipoatrophy is getting worse in my hips, but other than that I am happy with it!
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
patticake66
Family Member

Post by patticake66 »

I find that if I inject in my stomach and around my waist, I don't get lipotrophy. I will not inject in my arms or legs...just in the areas located within the fattiest areas of my torso. Occasionally I inject into my buttocks...no lipo there either. I have been injecting for 3 and 1/2 years and just one lipo scar on my hip...good luck.
Cammie
Family Member

Post by Cammie »

It's been almost 11 months and Copaxone is still basically working. However, I find that the cold weather is setting me back with some of my symptons. I had heard that heat causes MS people some problems, but haven't heard anything about the cold.
sorshya

Post by sorshya »

Cammie, how can you tell it's working? I'm glad that you're finding success with it I only started 2 months ago and I assume it's doing what it's supposed to but how do I know for sure?

I have just started to get hard lumps at my injection sites that are palm sized an last almost a week and are sensitive to touch (ironically until the next injection) - I'm assuming this is normal?
-Samantha
~Henry Ford
eveable
Family Member

Post by eveable »

I have been injecting Copaxone since May 2003. I see the benefits 6 mths later. Yes you get bumps and divits but it works. I went a month without it a year ago and I noticed the difference. I won't do that again.

Eve
Cammie
Family Member

Post by Cammie »

I don't know how to explain how I know it is working. My body simply feels so much better. The painful spasms are gone. I haven't had a relapse since I started Copaxone in early March, 2012. But I still run out of energy fast and have to rest frequently. I guess nothing's perfect!
sorshya

Post by sorshya »

I've been on Copaxone for 6 months now and I've been cautiously optimistic throughout the process but i'm starting to trust that it's working. I'm don't have the same debilitating fatigue - though I do still experience it. I used to sleep from Friday - Sunday to recover from my work week but I've been able to manage a small amount of activity and feel less like I'm missing out on life!
-Samantha
~Henry Ford

Return to “Copaxone”