CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by uprightdoc »

Nigel,
Alzheimer's diseases was attributed to latent (stealth) viruses when I started my research into cranial hydrodynamics over thirty years ago. More recently, it has been attributed to the the Herpes Simplex virus.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 134109.htm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david- ... 14047.html
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0025152

It is highly doubtful that AD is due to one particular pathogen. Researchers now suspect that the presense of viruses and bacteria, as well as other pathogens and toxins, such as heavy metals, accumulate due to sluggish blood and CSF flow. The sluggish blood and CSF flow is caused by an aging cardiovascular system. It is also affected by injured and aging degenerated spines that obstruct blood and CSF flow.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Nigel,
For clarification, when I refer to TCM I am not referring to the practice of herbology. TCM is a traditional healthcare system used in China for thousands of years that includes a unique system of diagnosis based on a patients history, symptoms, signs and physical examination. The physical exam includes inspection of body type, color, pulse points, temperature, tongue inspection, hara (abdominal) palpation and other diagnostic methods. It also include physiotherapy such as, Chi Kung type exercises, Tui Na (joint manipulation and pressure points similar to Dim Mak) and meridian therapy (not just accupuncture but also moxa and teishin hammers cupping etc.). Lastly it includes Chinese medicines and diet therapy such as tea, wines and congee. Chinese medicines are far more encompassing than just herbs. They also include medicines such as ox bile, placenta, eggs, horns, shells, plastum, minerals, fossils, insects, bat dung, furnace powder (activated charcoal) and gypsum to name a few. Health care in China today blends TCM with modern medicines and diagnosis.

Back in 1980, before I got started with TCM, I was influenced by the work of Dr. John Christopher, a famous American herbologist. I used his herbs for years. During my years in Applied Kinesiology I was introduced to the work of Dr. Bernard Jensen and iridology, as well as the important work by Dr. Royal Lee and his unique products. His theory of protomorphogens was way ahead of its time. The principles are now being applied in biosynthetic immunogenic adjuvants for vaccines that incorporate skeletal remains of viruses, bacteria and antigens. He also wrote a thorough systems review questionaire I used for all my patients. I later took courses on functional medicine and was influenced by Dr. Jeffrey Bland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chris ... herbalist)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Jensen
http://www.ifnh.org/Bio%20Lee%20.htm
http://www.functionalmedicine.org/about ... ios/bland/

There is no single solution. The best choices come form careful analysis of the patient.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thanks Dr F it is always good to have a full picture of your experiences and training to understand the depth your mind is operating. :)

I am pleased that this knowledge pool you have has alerted you to the effects at a cellular level in what we discuss. I often think I am learning and putting these thoughts here and not being understood.
The reading I am doing at the moment is opening my mind to so many insights and naturally I want to shout from the roof tops, hoping it will help to expand the knowledge on the diseases we discuss.
Things seem to make sense in the early moments of learning about something then as time ticks by the mind goes through the left/right balancing act of ideas and comes away with very different thoughts again.
And of course because of my personal journey with CPn I am experiencing things and looking for reasons, which interconnect the CPn to so many other 'Health' issue knowledge pools which have not been put in one place and reviewed as a whole!

Regards,
Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

I have an interesting female case to contend with that contacted me recently. The symptoms are low back and leg pain with bladder urgency and frequency. Among other things, an important sign is what is called a "mild" stenosis of T11/12 due to a disc bulge. The cord is extra-long and extends down to L2/3 so tethering is highly unlikely.

Spondylosis, scoliosis and stenosis all affect fluid mechanics in the thoracic spinal canal. It is impossible not to. Upright posture compounds the problem. Nonetheless, thoracic disc bulges and stenosis are currently barely given consideration by surgeons even though all the signs and symptoms suspiciously match and make the most sense in light of the signs and symptoms. Increased hydraulic pressure on the cord in the thoracic spinal canal due to disc degeneration causing stenosis of the canal most likely plays a role in many cases of the MS hug, pain and weakness in the legs, low back and pelvis, as well as and bladder issues. Problems higher up in the cervical spine cause additional pressure on the spinal canal. This can cause pressure problems to summate similar to a double crush that can occur in TOS cases.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

Why is it that when I bend my neck forward or lean forward my brain gets so hot? And my nose gets so stuffed up.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Interesting. It sounds like cerebral congestion to me. The position is most likely making venous drainage worse. The dural sinuses are important to brain cooling. The cavernous sinus assists in draining the face and paranasal sinuses. The cool venous blood cools the cavernous sinus. The cavernous sinus in turn cools the internal carotid artery that passes through it on it way to supply the eyes and brain.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

My face also turns brilliant red. Taking Diamox helps. My facial coloring is less red.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

"There is a wonderful physician many of you already know about. He calls himself the Upright Docotor, and he has a very interesting webpage where he discusses his decades of research into neurodegenerative disease, CSF, bloodflow and what happens to our venous return when we are in the upright position. For those who do not yet know about Dr. Flanigan's work, here is his webpage:
link to the Upright Doctor"
From Joan B. on her page where she reminds us of CSF importance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The one point that I haven't seen discussed almost EVER is the inflammation that would be caused by CCSVI pulsing and reflux!
If there is inflammation occurring it is almost certain to attract infection especially if there are the 'standard' bacterial cells in our system historically, such as EBV, Zoster, CPn, Lyme, Micoplasma and the list goes on. Many of these bacteria have already infected the immune system by being intracellular passengers of the host cells monocytes and macrophages.
So there is easy access for the infection of the vulnerable brain tissue from the CCSVI action and the BBB breakdown, inflammation and then infection, and the immune system activation brings on a stronger ammonia weakening of the BBB with infection die off, de-generation, de-generation .........!
When these bacteria cross the BBB during the pulses then there is also the natural die of the bacteria with age once they cross the BBB, that creates endo-toxins from the infection cell death which is very often ammonia which is known to weaken the BBB. So the is likely a cascade effect with so many involved aspects that haven't as yet been identified.

;)
Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

The face is red due to vasodilation. It's a way of losing heat as seen fevers and following vigorous exercise. It's hard to explain why the Diamox reduces the redness in the face. Diamox decreases CSF production. It also increases CO2 in the blood which triggers the cerebral autoregulatory reflex mechanism of the internal carotid to dilate blood vessels and increase blood flow to the brain. The face, however, gets its blood supply from the external carotid not the internal carotid. The Diamox may be affecting the autonomic nervous system by decreasing pressure or increasing blood flow the hypothalamus.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thank you Joan for the nice compliment and thanks Nigel for posting it.

Autoimmune and inflammatory conditions are big topics. They are important to me personally and professionally. The topic is too big to cover here. After I get my book out there will be plenty to discuss. Pathogens such as bacteria are just one type of trigger. There are many.

It's time to do my version of Dylan does Bocelli.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

The link below is to a page on the association between enlargement of the lateral ventricles and the memory, moods, motivation and movement disorders seen in neurodegenerative diseases.

http://www.upright-health.com/lateral-ventricles.html
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

The place to be April 16, 2013 - New Orleans!
"Exploring CCSVI and CSF in Neurological Disease"

CCSVI Alliance is pleased to host its 3rd Satellite Symposium at the Society of Interventional Radiology conference. We are extremely fortunate to have Dr. Scott Rosa on our panel of speakers. He will be presenting his observational study data to physicians and patients. Many of you have had questions - now you can get your answers. This is a FREE event.

Register at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/r ... =pflw7ieab
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

quote:"There is a wonderful physician many of you already know about. He calls himself the Upright Docotor, and he has a very interesting webpage where he discusses his decades of research into neurodegenerative disease, CSF, bloodflow and what happens to our venous return when we are in the upright position. For those who do not yet know about Dr. Flanigan's work, here is his webpage:
link to the Upright Doctor"
From Joan B. on her page where she reminds us of CSF importance.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/ccsvi-in ... 6332497211

hi dr. flanagan, i'm very happy to see dr. rosa at the ccsvi get together as i'm sure you and many others are happy about it too. it's a positive step in the right direction in getting answers and figureing things out. as with all the other attending doctors who are working to figure this all out i am very happy. i did not see your name as one of the attending doctors. for whatever reasons if you are not going to be there it saddens me as i feel your knowledge "after decades of research" covers a wide scope of things that could add to helping with fitting the pieces together. the "deeper interconnection" of all this. we need dr.'s and surgeons of many specialties. but, there are few that go beyond the boarders of their specialties and fully grasp how a "y" in the road could mean a possibly better outcome for dr. and most importantly the patient.

as always thank you for being here for so many. i notice more posting here and there and one starting her own thread that upper cervical treatment is helping. i feel sure there are the little lurkers that your being here has gotten them checking out chiro. treatment and looking beyond the boarders that most if not all neurologist stay in . at any rate--thank you!
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thanks Blossom. Sharon has asked me to do a presentation for the CCSVI Alliance before but I declined and suggested Drs. Chuck Woodfield and Scott Rosa for replacements and upper cervical presentations. The Alliance has done a terrific job bridging the divide and bringing the two sides together. I have also been asked to do presentations for upper cervical and state societies but I am way to busy with other projects and don't have the interest or time for travel right now. I will be doing a Skype presentation with Drs. Harshfield and Rosa sometime in June for an osteopathic college. My main focus at this time is on publishing. There is much more to discuss.
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

uprightdoc wrote:Thanks Blossom. Sharon has asked me to do a presentation for the CCSVI Alliance before but I declined and suggested Drs. Chuck Woodfield and Scott Rosa for replacements and upper cervical presentations. The Alliance has done a terrific job bridging the divide and bringing the two sides together. I have also been asked to do presentations for upper cervical and state societies but I am way to busy with other projects and don't have the interest or time for travel right now. I will be doing a Skype presentation with Drs. Harshfield and Rosa sometime in June for an osteopathic college. My main focus at this time is on publishing. There is much more to discuss.
Thanks to you Dr. Flanagan - we do go back a few years...October 2010 - the first meeting in Albany where we were able to bring together the CCSVI physicians and you and Dr. Woodfield. We are looking forward to introducing Dr. Rosa to the IR and Vascular community in New Orleans.
For those of you in the Louisiana area, it is the perffect time to ask questions of Dr. Rosa and to see the amazing observational images he has pre and post AO treatment. Please share the registration link on your FB accts - help promote the event

Register at
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/r ... =pflw7ieab