Paleo Diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Pesho
Family Member

Re: Paleo Diet discussion

Post by Pesho »

Guys, one question. I've started weightlifting again and I'm going for supplements. And I'm wondering amino acids that are on the market, can we use them? They are mostly from whey protein, but I don't think amino's are dairy anymore.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bump @erinc14
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
chico
Getting to Know You...

Post by chico »

So what is this thing about the paleo diet anyway?

Sure, its possible to loose weight very fast by cutting out all grains and hereby - short term - lowering risk of heart diseases and increase generel well beeing. I also understand that some people are sensitive to certain foods - myself included - and can benefit from cutting out theese foods from the diet. However, is the answer really a diet high in meat and saturated fats?

This swedish cohort study points towards an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases from low carb diets.
http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e4026

Proponents of the paleo diet will claim that we need saturated fats. I dont think anyone disagrees. Swank allowed up to 20g of daily saturated fats and people seemed to manage really well on this diet.
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... I0140-6736(90%2991533-G/abstract

I am hoping to see controlled studies on lifestyle changes such as theese
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... umpets%21/
CaveMan
Family Elder

Post by CaveMan »

However, is the answer really a diet high in meat and saturated fats?
Low carbohydrate-high protein diet and incidence of cardiovascular diseases in Swedish women: prospective cohort study
Your question and the study title do not relate to the Paleo diet, they both hark back to the early Atkins diet which based it's philosophy on High protein intake as a satiety control, literly making people sick through eating lean meat.
Protein can be used for energy production, but the process is extremly inefficient, nearly 30% of contained calories are just burnt off in the conversion process which creates toxic byproducts to be excreted.

The modern "Paleo style" diet is a higher fat, lower carb and adequate protein intake with a focus on nutrient density, so getting an appropriate level of the three Macro's for energy(Fats & Carbs) and body maintenance(protein) but looking to achieve a slight excess of micronutrients(Vitamins, Minerals, Co Factors etc.)
I am just an interested individual trying to crack the autoimmune nut.
Partner has Graves Disease, 5 years, showing good test results, looking forward to potential remission in the near future.
3 friends have MS, 1 just recently diagnosed, severity 7/10.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

This discussion with Loren Cordain, PhD on the paleo diet appeared on The Dr. Oz Show yesterday,, April 22: http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/paleo-d ... es-it-work

The TV program had a testimonial from a viewer who felt she had cured her MS four years ago with this diet; unfortunately, the videos posted from the show do NOT have this!???
CaveMan
Family Elder

Post by CaveMan »

From the Videos, they didn't give Loren Cordain enough air time and they also skirted around the saturated fat issue which is a hallmark of the paleo diet, at least some of the message is getting out there.
I posted a Video link a while back on loren Cordains hypothesis of MS, in that he talks about an informal trial done on 4 individuals with MS using the Paleo style diet, this was done in conjunction with Direct MS, the individual you mention may well have been one of those.
Partner has Graves Disease, 5 years, showing good test results, looking forward to potential remission in the near future.
erinc14
Family Elder

Post by erinc14 »

CaveMan
Family Elder

Post by CaveMan »

Audio cut out at about 10 min for me, but I heard enough.
Nothing that I didn't already know, her headline "Paleo Fantasy" is just that, she rapidly backtracked on the suggestion that we have had rapid evolution to catch up to our modern way of life, there are some indications that some adaptation has occured to an agricultural processed lifestyle, but in no way would she admit that we are as well adapted to that as against more natural forms of food.
She talked about lactose intolerance in milk and adaptation to that, but did not discuss other issues with milk being primarily the Cassein, which is very likely one of the contributory factors for MS as indicated by epidemiological studies.
Just because some individuals don't have overt negative side effects from milk consumption, does in no way suggest that it is an ideal foodstuff, you have to look a bit deeper at all the evidence, not just a headline grab from a radio show.
chico
Getting to Know You...

Post by chico »

Soo what is actually the clinical evidence that a paleo diet should do any good for MS?
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

The paleo diet is not about eating a lot of meat and saturated fat. It is about eating like the cavemen ate. These cavemen did not have modern weapons. You take a wooden spear out into the woods and see how many animals you can kill. You will be living mainly on roots and berries like they were. These people were mainly vegetarians. Their diet was not high in animal products and even if they ate animals the animals back then were not like the animals we have today. The animals we have today are just as sick as us. They are full of pesticides, GMO corn and soybeans, steroids, antibiotics, arsenic , heavy metals and not good to eat. The key to good health was shown in the China study. It is all about eating the fruits and vegetables which have the vitamins, minerals, fats and protein in the correct amount for our bodies. God explain this to us when he put Adam and Eve in the garden and instructed them to eat the fruits and vegetables. The paleo diet according to Roger MacDougall was a vegetarian diet. He did very well on this diet. Dr. Bergman give a cure for MS when he tell you to eat strictly fruits and vegetables and juicing for 30 days. Give yourself 30 days and see if it works. What have you got to lose? You might get your health back.

http://www.franksherwood.com/tnms.htm

chico
Getting to Know You...

Post by chico »

http://alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?I ... ureCode=en

The study points out that people who daily consumes bread, white or wholemeal, show a healthier lipid profile —lower levels of LDL cholesterol and higher levels of HDL cholesterol— than the people who consume it sporadically or don’t consume it. The study also reveals that regular bread consumption is associated with a lower insulin concentration.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Anyone with MS should be concerned with the gluten problem.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 79089.html

chico
Getting to Know You...

Post by chico »

Everyone (including myself) with celiac or gluten sensitivity should be concerned about gluten.
Thats clear to me. This is also my takeaway from reading the article from huffingtonpost. I missed out on the MS connection thou.

I am aware that one study has found a higher incidence of celiac among people with MS. Other have failed to show this correlation.
But I am still in need of solid evidence that one without gluten sensitivities should cut out whole grains. There is strong evidence that whole grains can lower risk of cardiovascular diseases.
chico
Getting to Know You...

Post by chico »

Ever tried looking at the world map of wheat consumption?
http://chartsbin.com/view/5267
Does it correlate well with MS prevalence?
At a glance, not really.
chico
Getting to Know You...

Post by chico »

As a newcomer to this forum i would be exposed to theories about gluten, insulin, zinc, ccsvi, low fat, high-fat, omega-9/omega-6 and bee venom from well-intentioned people who all believe they have found the cure for MS. But it is to a large extend nothing but theories. Most of us however, would agree that vit-d, exercise, whole foods and non-processed foods seem to have an impact on genereal health and most likely also MS. This also seems to be supported by hard evidence. It would be great if the forum as a whole agreed on a basic set of dietary/lifestyle guidelines for new comers. In the end, I think most of us would agree on 90%.