MS birth month link dismissed

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

MS birth month link dismissed

Post by MSUK »

Statistics boffins have dismissed the theory that a person’s month of birth influences their risk of developing multiple sclerosis.

The Cambridge researchers slated previous studies that suggested the risk of MS is higher for babies born in spring and lower in babies born in winter, arguing that their findings probably suffered from false positives....... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/index.cfm/environmentalfactors
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Leonard
Family Elder

Re: MS birth month link dismissed

Post by Leonard »

of course the month of birth is an influence, although it may be among the weaker ; it is all explained around pg 20-24 of http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 15188.html

the players of the Canadian national icehockey team were all born in February. Icehockey is a physically very heavy sports. Why is that? Because their mothers had maximum vitamin D in their blood during the phase of main cellular growth of the fetus... it will influence the chances to get MS too, regardless what these people say. you don't even have to study it, if you understand the underlying mechanisms, you may infer ....
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I thought the ice hockey players born in Feb was because the age cut-off is in January and so the Feb birthdays were the biggest on their teams, got more practice, and ended up as the star players who moved on to professional sports.

Would actually prefer for the whole 'born in May' higher rates of MS to be inaccurate, since I worry for my kids who were born in May and got half my genes.
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

Leonard wrote:the players of the Canadian national icehockey team were all born in February. Icehockey is a physically very heavy sports. Why is that? Because their mothers had maximum vitamin D in their blood during the phase of main cellular growth of the fetus... it will influence the chances to get MS too, regardless what these people say. you don't even have to study it, if you understand the underlying mechanisms, you may infer ....
wow, never thought i would talk hockey on an MS board.

in my opinion, a hockey star has nothing to do with Vitamin D. it has to do with hour after hour after hour of playing hockey as a little kid.

the best player ever (Gretzky) was born in Jan. Lemieux was Oct and Sydney was Aug.

this reminds me of a study done years ago that my mother swore by. It clearly showed that eating a bran muffin everyday for breakfast lowered your colesterol. my poor Dad had to suffer thru a muffin a day for a long time.

some time later they concluded it wasn't the bran that was lowering the colesterol. It was the fact that the person was no longer eating bacon and eggs for breakfast that lowered their colesterol.

Return to “General Discussion”