Phytoceramide: neuroprotection (study) and poss Sx reduction

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Phytoceramide: neuroprotection (study) and poss Sx reduction

Post by Anonymoose »

Took phytoceramide yesterday (for skin...been baking in sun too much) and woke up this am with hugely reduced symptoms from recent flare/pseudo flare. I skipped the resveratrol and took the phytoceramide again and feel great neuro Sx wise...still a little tired. I'm using vegan deva phytoceramide. It's sweet potato powder based with approximately 1 mg phytoceramide and some random aminos.

Research: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22037667/
These results suggest that PCER plays an important role in neuroprotection and memory enhancement and PCER could be a potential new therapeutic agent for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease.
In a rush so no links but phytoceramide is also a ppar alpha agonist. (Sigh...I am destined to gain weight. Can. Not. Get. Away. From. Ppar alpha. Agonists!)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Phytoceramide: neuroprotection (study) and poss Sx reduc

Post by NHE »

Anonymoose wrote:Took phytoceramide yesterday (for skin...been baking in sun too much) and woke up this am with hugely reduced symptoms from recent flare/pseudo flare. I skipped the resveratrol and took the phytoceramide again and feel great neuro Sx wise...still a little tired. I'm using vegan deva phytoceramide. It's sweet potato powder based with approximately 1 mg phytoceramide and some random aminos.

Research: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22037667/
These results suggest that PCER plays an important role in neuroprotection and memory enhancement and PCER could be a potential new therapeutic agent for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease.
In a rush so no links but phytoceramide is also a ppar alpha agonist. (Sigh...I am destined to gain weight. Can. Not. Get. Away. From. Ppar alpha. Agonists!)
I haven't noticed any weight gain issues taking pterostilbene. Is weight gain a typical side effect of ppar alpha agonists?
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

I gained weight on fenofibrate despite increased physical activity and no diet change. I think it has to do with estrogen. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ppar/2010/584296/ and I suspect other ppar alpha agonists will have the same effect. Hopefully not.

Um. Is estrogen a prominent player in your hormone game? Lol. I don't know if you are male or female. :blush: Fenofibrate (and maybe other ppar alpha agonists) can cause weight loss in males and post menopausal or ovarectomized females.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Anonymoose wrote:Um. Is estrogen a prominent player in your hormone game? Lol. I don't know if you are male or female. :blush: Fenofibrate (and maybe other ppar alpha agonists) can cause weight loss in males and post menopausal or ovarectomized females.
No. I'm xy.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

XY. That explains it. :)

On the bright side, the phytoceramide and resveratrol aren't making me gain weight. The feno weight is still falling off (was less than 10 lbs).

On the bright or dark side, not sure which, the phytoceramide and resveratrol now wonk up my neuro symptoms and make me tired...but I wake up feeling great. I'm hoping the buzzing and tiredness are die off related. They seem to be lessening as time goes by.