Is MS painful?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Jamrhi6

Is MS painful?

Post by Jamrhi6 »

I am scheduled to see a neuro for a second time.last year for optic neuritis and now for possible ms. My doctor said it might not be ms because ms isn't painful? What are your thoughts?
CaliReader
Family Elder

Re: Is MS painful?

Post by CaliReader »

I can't find the link, but I've read statistics that between 80 and 90 percent of ms patients experience pain. I'm currently on Gabapentin to control my ms pain. I also had to suck it up and accept that some pain was just now part of my life, as I don't want to be completely sedated.
Jamrhi6

Post by Jamrhi6 »

I have read very similar findings and find it odd that a neurologist would feel this way. My feet and hands are severely cramped up and the pain when I'm walking is intense. Does that sound like ms? My hands do the same thing I can't grip a pen or a shopping cart. My hands and feet get a burning sensation and turn bright red. I guess I'll know soon enough.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I've had burning sensations in my right foot for 14 years. Sometimes I can ignore them, sometimes they feel like someone stuffed nettle leaves into my sock.

MS most certainly does cause pain. It sounds like your neurologist is old school and still believes in some of the early myths about MS. Here are some search results on pain in MS from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/search ... t=0&num=20
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Let's not forget the "MS Simultor" shoes. This was from an article on pain in the NMSS's magazine.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/post207046.html#p207046
Jamrhi6

Post by Jamrhi6 »

Very interesting articles. I'm experiencing severe muscle cramping and spasms which brought me in. It hurts as soon as I wake up and lasts all day. I can't walk straight I have a little limp. My hands are doing the same thing? I hate having to wait for another doctor to ask me the same 100 questions the last one did. They should've gave me an MRI when they diagnosed me with optic neuritis. I had twitching and tingling and numbness back then.
amberfer
Family Member

Post by amberfer »

Hi Jamrh, like others said, I believe pain is very common for many MS patients! I am thankful to have pain that is not severe like many do.

I do hope you switch neuros, and to save time, you might write out your own "answers" before you see the neuro. You know, just a profile of what you think they want to know. Fax it to their office, then follow up in a few days to make sure the new neuro got it. You'll still have to answer some questions but it'll probably be easier.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Don't forget nutrient deficiencies can cause peripheral neuropathy. For the burning sensation you might try a good b complex. My hand burning returned a couple days ago and I've managed to knock it out with b complex (taking famil-E, zinc/copper, and iron for iron deficiency too). I wish I had figured that out a long time ago!

Hope that helps. Good luck with the neuro!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

good call anon - also the b-complex could help activate magnesium which we have been over on another thread, jam
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “Undiagnosed”