Has ANYONE reversed their MS BESIDES Dr Wahls?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
dc10
Family Elder

Has ANYONE reversed their MS BESIDES Dr Wahls?

Post by dc10 »

I followed the Wahls diet in 2012 for one yeay, to the letter and more - 11-12 cups of veg every day = 4 cups greensm 4 cus colors, 4 cups sulphur, organ meat daily, organic met every day, NO Dairy gluten soy grains legumes.... i was the perfect student

- i followed all the advice and copied what dr wahls done, so i bought a NMES device, meditated, exercised daily, im sure there were other things she recommended but cant remember them all now

but all that happened was i got more and more and more disabled, went from being slim, to being excessively underweight
also my personality changed, i went from being a kind placid person to a very short tempered aggressive person.
i went from walking with a crutch to then having to use a scooter - but as i continued to take gluten 3 LDN after a few weeks of returning to a normal diet i regained my function

so i put my worsening down to the fact i consumed so few carbs/calories, i was malnourished
even thought i ate more of the positive foods she recommended, so should have improvedquicker

SSo after reading this post on Dr Wahls' twitter page :

Multiple Sclerosis is reversible using food! Incredible story. #foodasmedicine #naturalhealthcare

It got me thinking, has ANY other MS patient regained their function, specifically going from a wheelchair, to walking normally with no aids, like Dr Wahls has attributed to the diet

Im sure if someone got out of their wheelchair/scooter to then being able to walk and cycle would be talking about it

or is Dr Wahls the only one?
Last edited by dc10 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Has ANYONE reversed their MS BESIDES Dr Wahls?

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there :) I reversed *something* with diet (NOT wahls version specifically) to an extent. whether that was ms is confirmed per my doctors, but debatable afaic.

remind me what your numbers were like on your last set of tests? if memory serves, i tend to agree that your caloric intake may have been insufficient.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I'm doing a paleo diet (low sugar no processed foods, juicing, lots of veg) ms not gone but I feel my energy better.

I hope people realise that dr wahls did take quite extensive chemo so perhaps this allowed her body to heal along with the diet.

I have not had chemo but I am not ruling it out.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

true, and wasn't there also some kind of electrical stimulation aspect associated with dr wahls' treatment?
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
CaliReader
Family Elder

Post by CaliReader »

I'm pretty sure Jimmylegs is right. As I understood it, Dr. Wahls credited the electrical stimulation with her regaining of leg function. Apparently she did a lot of it, working closely with a neuro physical therapist.

She also wrote that she takes creatine for energy and many supplements as well as her diet to allow her mitochondria to work better in spite of ms. I've taken creatine, and felt it helped, but now take much less, because it is hard on kidneys.

Her talks and books are inspiring, but I don't think anyone has all pieces to this puzzle.
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

dc10 wrote: ...i consumed so few carbs/calories, i was malnourished even thought i ate more of the positive foods she recommended, so should have improved quicker
I had a similar experience though my symptoms did not worsen. I went from a lean 6'3" 210lbs to a skinny 175lbs in 5 months. I was exhausted all the time, needed to take a nap when returning home from work, and all this was compounded by the fact i was doing regular strength training at the gym. I started to add things back to my diet including more carbs, more protein and overall more calories and feel much better. I am underweight and am striving to consume 3500 cals a day while doing my heavy lifting 5 days a week. I still follow Swank but only in the sense that I keep my saturated fat below 15g per day.

There is too much positive evidence for diet to completely dismiss it, but as stated above its not the complete picture.
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

I forgot about this,
when i read her site/book, Dr Wahls just breifly mentions it in passing, and she puts dates/the year she done any treatment, but not with the chemo:

"I underwent chemotherapy in an attempt to slow the disease and began using a tilt-recline wheelchair because of weakness in my back muscles. It was clear: eventually I would become bedridden by my disease. I wanted to forestall that fate as long as possible."

Hmm this is very suspicous now, obviously the chemo reseting the immune system system played a HUGE part in her recovery, yet its just mentioned in a brief sentence.
Its not fair for us MS patients to see what Wahls alledgedly done with diet and NMES alone, when in fact the chemo was the main treatment
jimmylegs wrote: wasn't there also some kind of electrical stimulation aspect associated with dr wahls' treatment?
Yes there was, i said in my first post i started the diet using an NMES device (Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation), as this is what Dr Wahls did
LR1234 wrote: She also wrote that she takes creatine for energy and many supplements as well as her diet to allow her mitochondria to work better in spite of ms. I've taken creatine, and felt it helped, but now take much less, because it is hard on kidneys.
CaliReader wrote:I'm pretty sure Jimmylegs is right. As I understood it, Dr. Wahls credited the electrical stimulation with her regaining of leg function. Apparently she did a lot of it, working closely with a neuro physical therapist.

She also wrote that she takes creatine for energy and many supplements as well as her diet to allow her mitochondria to work better in spite of ms. I've taken creatine, and felt it helped, but now take much less, because it is hard on kidneys.

Her talks and books are inspiring, but I don't think anyone has all pieces to this puzzle.
i took ALL of the supplements listed in her medical trial paperwork , which includes creatine

Im sure many MS patients have done/are doing the Wahls protocol 100% like i did only to not see there mobility/function improve

i did see increases in energy but energy was never a problem for me

Can someone link me to further details of Dr Wahls' chemo treatment as im certain this was the cause of her recovery and the paleo like diet was just an incidental factor

but youre not gonna sell many books about dangerous chemo curing your MS, but you will if a simple healthy diet did, that anyone cn follow with no huge expense

her 'one-off/only her' recovery makes complete sense now
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ah, I didn't register what the nmes device was.

remind me, what were your latest blood results like again, dc? I'm always interested in whether individual application of blanket dietary recommendations are sufficient to address the nutrient problems seen in typical ms patients.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I'm not sure she ever said exactly what chemo she took (I will check her first edition of minding my mitochondria which I have )

I dont dispute that her diet has maintained her health and that the diet greatly assisted her recovery but I do feel the chemo and other meds she took probably gave her ms a good kicking first.

The reason I feel it's important for people to know this is because I remember reading in the ms recovery diet book that one of the authors (possibly both but def one) mentioned she had also done chemo......

I wonder whether chemo wipes out your gut bacteria/ viruses/ ms or something and allows the diets to be effective???
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

interestingly, of the various things it must be doing, interferon has been shown to normalize blood values of vitamin e of all things
(also interestingly, therapeutic vit e megadosing is a major component of the klenner protocol for ms.. which did me a LOT of good in '06)

would be nice to know what the mechanisms of action were for all these various ms drugs.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Hmmmm. Chemo caused worsening via nutrient depletion? Correcting the deficiencies allowed for chemo-related ms recovery? Sounds a little familiar.... I have no idea if I will recover but rituxan (not chemo but similar target) sure did do a number on my nutrient levels.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

dc10 wrote:I followed the Wahls diet in 2012 for one yeay, to the letter and more - 11-12 cups of veg every day = 4 cups greensm 4 cus colors, 4 cups sulphur, organ meat daily, organic met every day, NO Dairy gluten soy grains legumes.... i was the perfect student

- i followed all the advice and copied what dr wahls done, so i bought a NMES device, meditated, exercised daily, im sure there were other things she recommended but cant remember them all now

but all that happened was i got more and more and more disabled, went from being slim, to being excessively underweight
also my personality changed, i went from being a kind placid person to a very short tempered aggressive person.
i went from walking with a crutch to then having to use a scooter - but as i continued to take gluten 3 LDN after a few weeks of returning to a normal diet i regained my function

so i put my worsening down to the fact i consumed so few carbs/calories, i was malnourished
even thought i ate more of the positive foods she recommended, so should have improvedquicker

SSo after reading this post on Dr Wahls' twitter page :

Multiple Sclerosis is reversible using food! Incredible story. #foodasmedicine #naturalhealthcare

It got me thinking, has ANY other MS patient regained their function, specifically going from a wheelchair, to walking normally with no aids, like Dr Wahls has attributed to the diet

Im sure if someone got out of their wheelchair/scooter to then being able to walk and cycle would be talking about it

or is Dr Wahls the only one?
I stumbled across this story of Shari Leidich just this afternoon. She was diagnosed with MS about 2005; began a raw food diet; and founded a company selling these products AND gluten-free. This is basically a financial segment on NBC; it was aired two years ago:

http://www.today.com/video/today/45870893#45870893

I am pinning my hopes on the gluten-free diet.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Looks like we should someday have an answer as to whether it was just the diet and electrical stimulation or a combo of the latter with chemo. There has been a study on the wahl's protocol ongoing since 2011.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT0 ... s&rank=181

It's supposed to wrap up this month. I wonder how long before results are shared.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

" organ meat daily, organic met every day "

She is not consuming organic meats, she is consuming grass fed meats. And it is not just grass fed meats, but 100% grass fed meats. There is a huge difference! Grass fed meats are high in Omega 3 and have a proper ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fat, similar to wild Salmon (farm raised Salmon does not have the same health benefits as wild caught Salmon).

And I believe she recommended organ meat once a week, again it should be 100% grass fed. And just so you know, meats that are sold and marked grass fed are possibly not 100% grass fed. Some companies feed their animals grain for the last few months and are legally allowed to still call them grass fed.

In any case, I started on an extremely carefully thought out, limited food diet based on the Paleo Diet after I was diagnosed in the spring of 2013 that is similar in many ways to Dr. Wahls', to my pleasant surprise (I only recently discovered her program). I have been doing extremely well.
saimamom
Getting to Know You...

Post by saimamom »

After diagnosis in 2008, I tried Paleo, then went vegetarian, then went vegan and raw vegan. Currently I'm mainly vegan but I do add a little fish or chicken occasionally. I do not touch gluten but might have a table spoon of cheese once a week. I find that if you live such a restricted life and feel you must follow rules by the book then you suffer. Enjoy your food! Be flexible. Make mistakes. Nourish yourself and try new things. Explore life, discover new things. Don't stress out. This will make a huge improvement. Let your immune system heal and relax. I've been symptom free for 6 years. And MRIs show my lesions are almost undetectable. I hope it's from the changes I've made.