Grain-free diet author & LDN

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Grain-free diet author & LDN

Post by lyndacarol »

In my investigation of the gluten-free diet and my search for recipes I came across Elana Amsterdam. Only today, I discovered that she was diagnosed with MS in 2006. I find her information very interesting: her chosen natural treatment for MS; her mention of Dr. Terry Wahls; AND her use of LDN (http://www.elanaspantry.com/). The video posted there with an explanation of LDN's mechanism is also interesting.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/natural-tre ... sclerosis/
Fish Oil –This is one of the best anti-inflammatories around. I currently take 7 grams per day –That’s 7,000 milligrams. (That is a very high dose; be sure to check with your doctor if you would like to take this much fish oil.)

Acidophilus –The various Functional Medicine doctors I see encourage me to take large doses of acidophilus. I use a product called Ther-Biotic Complete made by Klaire Labs; it must be refrigerated at all times, even during shipping.

Vitamin D –Many people with illness and auto-immune conditions suffer from abnormally low levels of Vitamin D, therefore, when friends ask, I recommend that they get their blood levels of this vitamin checked immediately and then quarterly thereafter. When I was severely deficient in Vitamin D, I took a mega dose of 5,000 IU per day, until my levels reached the normal range.

Low Dose Naltrexone –Although many of you will argue that a drug is not “natural,” I beg to differ. Using this opioid agonist in micro-doses is not accepted treatment yet for multiple sclerosis and other auto-immune disorders. That’s a shame.

Grain Free Diet –Grains can wreak havoc on a weakened immune system. If I had to give one piece of advice to people with any auto-immune disorder, it would be to go on a diet that is entirely (100%) grain free (and also free of grain-like substances such as quinoa, millet, wild rice, etc). Of course, gluten is
the ultimate no-no –in 10 years recommending a gluten free diet to anyone with an auto-immune condition will probably be standard medical protocol.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Re: Grain-free diet author & LDN

Post by Brainteaser »

So she stopped eating grains in 2001, was dx with MS in 2006 and a grain-free diet helped her overcome MS??
wildguygoche

Post by wildguygoche »

People with celiac are 10x more likely to get MS. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

wildguygoche wrote:People with celiac are 10x more likely to get MS.
Its actually the other way around. People with MS are 10x more likely to be celiac. Celiac is not a known risk factor for MS.