CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by THX1138 »

Thanks Dr. Flanagan

Since we last communicated I have had a MRA and an MRV. Below is the abnormal result that the MRV showed. The vascular Dr., that I saw later, speculated that I had probably always been this way. He could not explain the niacin flush experiences. What are you thoughts on the below MRV results?
Findings:
Diminished flow in the left transverse sinus, sigmoid sinus, and cavernous sinus compared with the right. This is suspicious for partial venous sinus obstruction or venous sinus thrombosis. This finding can be seen in patients with intracranial hypertension and chronic pulsatile tinnitus. The remainder of the exam is unremarkable.

Impression:
Venous sinus stenosis or partial obstruction of the left cavernous sinus, transverse sinus, and sigmoid sinus compared with the right.
I do have pulsatile tinnitus.
CFS pressure was normal.
I am the person who gets the light head pressure when upright and sees great symptom relief (including head pressure relief) during the niacin flush and, to a lesser extent, during and for a few hours after, magnesium foot soaks.

Sorry, that I kept adding to this - I kept thinking of more info and had noticed a few mistakes.

THX1138
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Your welcome.

The relevance of the MRV findings would depend on your signs and symptoms. There are variations in the design of the dural sinuses of the brain. A dominant right side transverse to sigmoid sinus with relatively smaller (stenosis) sinuses on the left is fairly common. If you are having problems with the left eye or trigeminal neuralgia the findings would be more significant to me.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

The left (that is, left for me) eye does not see nearly as well as the right. Its visual field has variations in vision - fuzzy in areas. No trigeminal neuralgia.
Thanks.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

You most likely have back pressure in the left cavernous sinus and ophthalmic veins decreasing perfusion pressure and arterial flow to the eye. My approach would be to attempt to remove obstructions and restore or improve blood flow on the left side. There are manual, mechanical and electrotherapy methods to consider. If that fails, and the signs or symptoms warrent further care, then venoplasty on the left side would certainly be a consideration.

What other signs and symptoms do you have? Do you have any signs of dysautonomia?
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

What other signs and symptoms do you have? Do you have any signs of dysautonomia?
For now, I will just add that I am working on getting over chronic dehydration; I quit the reverse osmosis water about a week ago and am drinking filtered tap water now. I am pleased with the (variable) positive results so far.

Dr. Flanagan I would like to take some time to compose a comprehensive answer to you questions. Until then, should I check my BP when lying down and standing or have a Dr. do it?

Thank You :)
THX1138
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Use a good sphygmomanometer and learn to do it yourself. Do it several times on diffferent days in the morning and afternoon. Take your pulse and BP in both positions and check to see if there are significant changes when you go from lying down to sitting or standing up.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

Just talked with the woman who had spinal surgery Feb 14. She had an appointment with the doctor today and he is very impressed at the changes. I noticed her voice has changed. It is a lot stronger. She said most of her symptoms that were attributed to MS are gone!
YEAH!
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

I reading about French Eyes and chef's in the kitchen. My chef loves French Eyes, especially the ones with flat tops. They are little beauties but they are expensive and could get him into a lot of hot water. I will have to stew on it for awhile.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Fascinating. It would be interesting to know what her signs and symptoms were and if she was definite, probable or possible MS.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

Definite MS. Plaque on cervical spine and plaques in the brain.

I was given a diagnosis of MS with a MRI that showed 1 plaque in the cervical spine .No other tests were done. Not a lumbar puncture, blood work.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6700001256

" An MRI of the cervical spine is recommended in all patients suspected of having MS who have symptoms suggestive of spinal cord involvement"
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

What type of spinal surgery did she get and why did the surgeon decide to do it. Most neurosurgeons don't see any connection to the spine or reason for doing surgery.

In addition to brain scans, all MS patients should have cervical scans, as well as x-rays of the full spine as part of the basic workup. In addition to looking for lesions, doctors should look at structure.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

The comments below regarding spondylosis, scoliosis and stenosis were posted on my website. The hypoplastic clivus, deformed dens, spondylosis, scoliosis and stenosis suggest genetic design issues in the skull and spine:

Hi there. I am hoping for a little light as my world has been pretty dark since I received my MRI results. I went to my doctor presenting with daily headaches and facial pressure, numbness and tingling in my hands, feet, and head, sciatic pain, memory loss, dizziness, and severe pain in the coccyx region.

I had an MRI of the lower back, it showed a herniation at L4-L5, several degenerated discs, scoliosis, and narrowing of the spinal canal. They decided then to do an MRI of my brain and found Hypoplastic Clivus, dens deforming in impression on the right and more disc degeneration. I began Physical Therapy and they found that I also had a rotated and upturned pelvis and they found my coccyx had turned inward.

I guess my question is - why are these things happening? I have had no trauma, no accidents, no broken bones, not even a stitch. I have been in severe pain for about 8 years now. It has been getting worse gradually. The headaches started about 5 months ago daily. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago and I tested positive for the initial lupus tests but negative for the secondary. I have issues with my platelet count at times and I also have positive ANA? I can't put two and two together and no one else has been able to either - I want to feel good again or at least have a reason why I don't.

Thank you for this article - it did help me to map out where everything was located.

Jess in North Carolina
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

uprightdoc wrote:What type of spinal surgery did she get and why did the surgeon decide to do it. Most neurosurgeons don't see any connection to the spine or reason for doing surgery.

In addition to brain scans, all MS patients should have cervical scans, as well as x-rays of the full spine as part of the basic workup. In addition to looking for lesions, doctors should look at structure.
She had scoliosis. The only option was surgery or to live with the pain.