The Wheldon Protocol, Some Advice, Please...

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
bwfc75
Getting to Know You...

The Wheldon Protocol, Some Advice, Please...

Post by bwfc75 »

Hello everyone,

My name is Craig and I am 39 years old. I was diagnosed with MS on my 30th birthday, even though they could trace it back to 1997.

After failed attempts on conventional treatments- the ineffective Rebif, to be precise- I started on LDN in 2009 with improved my symptoms immensely... at the beginning.

Last year, I stumbled upon the Wheldon Protocol- Sarah's story- and informed my GP I would like to try it. He wanted nothing to do with it. So, in October 2013, I ordered the antibiotics myself.

In November, I was ready to rock n roll! My enthusiasm was sky-high and I think this is where I have gone wrong...

After reading LOTS of info from David 's website and this site, I had the protocol, supplements and timelines memorised, so I started the protocol immediately. I started on 100 Doxy, which I tolerated well in conjunction with the NAC, and after a week, I was up to 200 Doxy. Delighted with my tolerance, 250 Azith was being taken with very little, if any, side effects. Now, in early December, 2013, and probably with false optimism, I began my first pulse. I managed the 5 days but the die-off was starting to take hold with side-effects. I felt very down and my appetite was taking a big hit. BUT, my symptoms were improving. I reserved judgement, because I have had so many false-dawns, but by February, and after 3, 5-day pulses, the improvements were undeniably down to the antibiotics.

So, why do I need advice? Well, now after almost 6 months on the protocol, I am struggling to tolerate it!

My first question is, have I gone in too quickly and too hard? Am I able to pull back a bit on the leash and maybe start again on the pulses 1 day and then 2 days next month, like what is advised? I just don't understand why I'm suddenly throwing up, not eating and struggling sleeping with the return of some of my old symptoms? I fear my impatience has ruined it for me or can it be salvaged? Maybe, I'm just harbouring a separate infection and that is why I'm suddenly ill?

If you need anymore info, or you want to know more of my story or symptoms or how I was improving, I'd be more than happy to disclose. Not just for my benefit, I mean, but to give other people a nudge who are thinking about trying it or need lift if you are struggling.

Thanks in advance and what a brilliant group you are. I've read a lot of your stories and posts and your support to people is priceless.

Craig
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Re: The Wheldon Protocol, Some Advice, Please...

Post by CuriousRobot »

I think that some more detail is required for an "objective" answer. Have you tried contacting Drs. Stratton or Wheldon via e-mail for their input? There is also the CPN help website, which may be of use. But, personally, I am more interested in what you mean by "tolerance"? Now, do you feel nauseous? Are you having loose stool? As-of-yet unexplained weight loss? For how long, exactly? How were your MS symptoms before the antibiotic administration compared to now? Any prior-MRI / post-MRI comparison? Any journal keeping? How often are you throwing up, etc, etc. These are all details necessary to determine an accurate medical history. Look to the mass of detail in Dr. Wheldon's website, or Sarah's personal account; it isn't as if they wrote, "well, just try some antibiotics and perhaps you'll feel better." Tremendously, more detail is necessary. Not to say that you wrote too little in your first post. But, that, perhaps you were focusing on the wrong details [ e.g., the date when your GP denied you antibiotics ]. What's more important is what I mentioned above, in specific detail. Also, you may be sick from the antibiotics that you ordered from the internet. Where did you get them? Here you can be nonspecific [ i.e., not typing in the web address, etc ]. Also, why didn't you try another doctor, with a specialty in the nature of the disease you are attempting to treat: infectious disease, e.g., when initially denied?

Best
bwfc75
Getting to Know You...

Post by bwfc75 »

Thanks so much for the reply, robot

The antibiotics were bought from River Pharmacy which to my knowledge, has a good reputation.

The beginning of the week- 1st April, 2014- should have been the start of my pulse week, I took the first 2 tablets after breakfast, and by dinner time I was throwing my guts up. I don't understand because my first 3 pulses- January, February and March for the full 5 days, even though I've had the standard effects, such as depression, loss of appetite etc.- I've not had a reaction like this. I'm still OK on the Doxy and the Azith, but the Flagyl is suddenly a complete no-no.

I was wondering whether you can rush into the protocol, even though you are tolerating it initially, can it creep up on you, when normally if you take it easy at the start, the tolerance to Flagyl should increase? Does that make sense? I have read a lot on the Dr's website re. the protocol, I just couldn't find an answer to my hypothesis...

Writing my first post, I had my story with MS and my quandary on the antibiotics both on my mind, so I didn't explain either very well, I'm sorry.

Before I started the antibiotics, I suffered greatly with fatigue, and what I called 'crashes'. These crashes would happen nearly everyday, around 1-3pm, no matter how well I'd slept the night before. My head would be heavy and dull in the morning and by 1 pm my eyes would closed and I'd be gone... day ruined. Since I started the 'biotics, from December, I've had one crash. This to me is unbelievable, especially after some nights, I can only have 3-5 hours sleep. I rarely drag my right leg anymore- even though the MS damage is evident- and I can stand in the shower for 20-30 minutes now... I can even close my eyes under the water.

I'm losing track again, sorry. But if you want more info, just ask.

Thanks again in advance

Craig
willingtocope

Post by willingtocope »

You didn't mention if your are taking any "moppers"...supplements that help remove the debris from the bacteria die-off and the endotoxins that leaves behind.

I'm only a couple of months into the protocol and haven't done the first pulse yet, but since my symptoms are slightly worse than I started, I'm wondering if I need moppers.
jlgst26

Post by jlgst26 »

I can't stress enough to visit the cpn help website. That's where most everyone trying antibiotics is located. And there are many of the old guard who achieved results still answering the newbies' questions. The search feature on that site also is very good for researching a specific topic if you are trying to educate yourself. Not to mention the incredible support everyone gives each other when they stumble or needs encouragement. Also, by posting there, you are more likely to run into someone who has had to deal with similar symptoms and how they dealt with it. Invaluable.

Off the cuff, willingtocope is right. You need to be using moppers to absorb the die-off. Activated charcoal (which should be taken 2 hours away from the abx) and chlorella (which can be taken any time) are two popular moppers. Also, if your stomach is unsettled, try eating more carbs. Some people can't handle CAP without ingesting more carbs. I also believe that glucose can help to a degree if you have porphyria. If you are looking for pure glucose, try American smarties, the little sugar candy discs.

As for backing down on the treatment, you can back off on the pulses without much impact on resistance. I see you are using flagyl to pulse, which can be a tougher slug. I hear tini is easier on one's constitution. Keep with the doxy and azith if you can. You don't want to stop and start those two often, because resistance may occur. I see you are taking doxy, which is known to make for an unhappy belly if taken on an empty stomach. Don't be afraid to have a piece of bread (or even a small meal) when taking the abx. I think rifampin is the only one that needs to be taken on an empty stomach.

You haven't ruined anything for yourself. Everyone's journey is different. Some people start off with smooth sailing and never look back. Others start off too strongly and have to course-correct when die-off ramps up.

And again, please consider stopping over at CPn Help. Any and all your questions can be answered quickly there.
supaguy

Post by supaguy »

Hi!

Congratulations on starting the Wheldon Protocol. Congratulations on moving forward with it and going on to pulse three times. And yet more congratulations on those noticable improvements. I must say, you did remarkabley well to have done all that without the help and support of CPn Help.org So why are you not utilising the help and support that is freely offered by others doing exactly the same protocol as you at CPn Help.org? There must be a sound reason but I haven't figured out what it is: do give me a clue!

Kind regards,

G.
:confused:
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Craig I think you have answered your question yourself, along with the other people who got here before me.

I managed to do everything full speed at once but very few people can, so pull back a bit on the pulses. Keep taking the bacteristatics at full dose if you can then move on from there. Your so called impatience hasn't ruined anything: just start part two again and before you know it, you should be well on the way. Do look at and join the CPN site though: the help and information you can get there is invaluable.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
bwfc75
Getting to Know You...

Post by bwfc75 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for replying to my post.

I have just joined the CPn Help website and read a few helpful stories and forums of information.

I have started my pulse again today and have purchased a big bag of Chlorella to mop up.

I will keep you posted of my progress.

I feel like I'm 'taking' from this forum without giving anything back. Is there anything I can do to help any of you? Or anything I can do to help the cpn community?

Thanks again, guys. Your 'pick-me-up' support is just what I needed

Craig
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

You can just help by not being such a stranger! Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
bwfc75
Getting to Know You...

Post by bwfc75 »

Thanks, I'll do my best to keep my progress updated...

Tried my pulse again, yesterday and was fine all day until I went to bed and lay down... then threw up again! I've felt rough and spaced all day, today.

I have noticed, the ALA and the ACL that have been introduced could be the reason why I'm throwing up, because along with taking Flagyl tablets- where I've thrown up- they are the other substance I've taken. Has anyone else struggled keeping these two supplements down?

Thanks again and I'll keep this post updated if anyone wants to help or wants info from me in return

Thanks

Craig
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

jlgst26 wrote: Off the cuff, willingtocope is right. You need to be using moppers to absorb the die-off. Activated charcoal (which should be taken 2 hours away from the abx) and chlorella (which can be taken any time) are two popular moppers.
Please forgive my off-topic comment here. Recently, I have been reading about vitamin B 12 deficiency. It has been stated that B12 is only found in animal products – red meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy. I found one source that said very small amounts are also found in chlorella, spirulina, and algae. Interesting.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I think you are right there, but only small amounts!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Just to add a little more on the subject of sources of vitamin B12:

"A common myth amongst vegetarians and vegans is that it’s possible to get B12 from plant sources like seaweed, fermented soy, spirulina and brewers yeast. But plant foods said to contain B12 actually contain B12 analogs called cobamides that block intake of and increase the need for true B12."
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Craig, how are you doing now? Sarah
bwfc75
Getting to Know You...

Post by bwfc75 »

I've only managed one day and a bit of the pulse this month. I've kept up the Doxy and the Azith- never missed one day since November- but really struggled with the pulse this month. I pulsed for 5 days, December, Jan, Feb and March, but couldn't stomach it at all this time. It may have been a bug or a cold I've had- there's been a lot of it around- so I'll try again early May, Unless I'm doing something wrong by doing that?

Should I treat May as my 'second pulse' and go for 2 days to build up tolerance again? Or shall I try and hit it hard with 5 days, as before?

Thanks in advance for any advice?

Craig