New autoimmune disease list

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Lyon
Family Elder

New autoimmune disease list

Post by Lyon »

http://www.aarda.org/research/research_ ... .php?ID=47

In case anyone else is interested in a pretty accurate and complete list of the diseases which are thought to be autoimmune in nature.

Bob
Chris55
Family Elder

Post by Chris55 »

Okay--I have Interstitial cystitis. I knew it was being considered as a possible autoimmune disease but did not realize it had actually made the list.

Again, I COMPLETELY CURE flare-ups with nothing but diet change and supplements!! So there!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: New autoimmune disease list

Post by HarryZ »

Lyon wrote:http://www.aarda.org/research/research_ ... .php?ID=47

In case anyone else is interested in a pretty accurate and complete list of the diseases which are thought to be autoimmune in nature.

Bob
Bob, not surprising to see MS listed there...it has thought to be an auto--immune disease since the 40's. Only problem is nobody has ever been able to prove this.

Take care.

Harry
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

dropping in

Post by jimmylegs »

it is good to see which diseases may have commonalities, so that you can apply work from outside the MS body of research to developing some more broad-based understanding.

yea chris i think "autoimmune" just means that immune function (and whatever other function is involved) is impaired by not having the tools it needs, chemically via nutrition, to work properly. you go girl!

harry let me guess, at this stage you and bob egg each other on as much as possible? do you guys need bait, or do bare hooks still do it? :wink:
Chris55
Family Elder

Post by Chris55 »

Actually, Jimmylegs, I do not think the immune system is askew at all. I think the immune system is responding to inflammation (present in a whole lot of autoimmune diseases--maybe all?) The question for me at this point is what is causing the inflammation?

One aside here (and I have written this before). A lady had asthma (autoimmune disease) that her doctor could not control. She was dying--literally. Out of desperation, the doctor decided to try something different. He did a lung biopsy--found a bacteria--treated the patient with an antibiotic--the lady greatly improved although she still has asthma. The doctor then tested all of his asthma patients--50% had this bacteria. (This was in the news about a month ago.)

Again--as I have said--I do not believe MS is one, single, everyone-has the-same-thing disease. 3 times this has proved true since my daughter was diagnosed, i.e., the discovery of new diseases that had symptoms that would have garnered an MS diagnosis.)

Geez that was long-winded, wasn't it? Sorry! Chris
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: dropping in

Post by Lyon »

jimmylegs wrote:it is good to see which diseases may have commonalities, so that you can apply work from outside the MS body of research to developing some more broad-based understanding.
Good job Jimmy!, That was exactly my reason for adding the list. I didn't have time to give a full explanation when I added it but regardless of whether someone considers these diseases to start, become, end autoimmune or just immune, I don't think even Harry could argue that there aren't a bunch of them which as you said, share a commonality, are somehow related or part of what might be considered a syndrome.

I think it's advantageous to put the list out there occasionally so that people realize some of these other problems they've been bothered with are also among those listed.
harry let me guess, at this stage you and bob egg each other on as much as possible? do you guys need bait, or do bare hooks still do it? :wink:
Despite the historical selflessness and cost effectiveness exercised by the drug companies, Harry seems incapable of expressing the appropriate gratitude and appreciation. I'm confident that beneath that rough exterior Harry feels the appropriate gratitude and appreciation and just isn't good at expressing his feelings and doesn't want the rest of us to see his tender side.

Bob
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

immune stuff

Post by jimmylegs »

hiya chris, i totally agree with you that ms is not one single hard and fast rule for all patients. if i can get a clarification of your view, if the immune system is responding to inflammation, what happens then? i am not being critical just trying to get inside what you said to see if we're in fact on the same page. (coz i think we basically are).
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Despite the historical selflessness and cost effectiveness exercised by the drug companies, Harry seems incapable of expressing the appropriate gratitude and appreciation. I'm confident that beneath that rough exterior Harry feels the appropriate gratitude and appreciation and just isn't good at expressing his feelings and doesn't want the rest of us to see his tender side.

Bob
Hey, wait a minute....I'm not always a cynic :)

On more than one occasion I've stated that there are what I consider "bad" drug companies and also what I feel are "good" pharma companies. BioMs and Bayer are two that come to mind immediately that I would place in the latter category. Of course there are many others. Biogen, Merck and Teva are a few that I don't trust at all.

Almost all of my non-trusting comments have been directed towards the CRAB companies because that's who we discuss here almost exclusively. I am also very aware of the requirement for big pharma in our society.

So please, give me just a bit of leeway here...I'm not totally a bad guy :)

Harry
Last edited by HarryZ on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

validating

Post by jimmylegs »

i have cynical views of the crabs and turned them down so far, but i do use other pharmaceutical products, begrudgingly but i do use them so i hear u harry. and bob :) and everyone.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

HarryZ wrote: So please, give me just a bit of leeway here...I'm not totally a bad guy :) Harry
You slid throught that one rather nicely Harry! I seriously never thought you were a bad guy, much less a totally bad guy. All that was just to see if I could get your dander up.

For an elderly 57 years old you've still got a few surprises. Now I'll have to rethink whether I'm impressed by you or dissapointed in you :oops:
Bob
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Bob,
You slid throught that one rather nicely Harry! I seriously never thought you were a bad guy, much less a totally bad guy. All that was just to see if I could get your dander up.
Ah, this is fun...my dander is still asleep :D
For an elderly 57 years old you've still got a few surprises. Now I'll have to rethink whether I'm impressed by you or dissapointed in you :oops:
Bob
Be impressed since I'm sure there are enough people out there already who are disappointed :D

Harry
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Chris55 wrote:... I think the immune system is responding to inflammation (present in a whole lot of autoimmune diseases--maybe all?) The question for me at this point is what is causing the inflammation?
I am not an auto-immune supporter, however, I thought it was the immune system causing the inflamation in MS and it was what was causing the immune system, to cause the inflamation that was the question that needed answering?
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

HarryZ wrote: Be impressed since I'm sure there are enough people out there already who are disappointed
Harry
Heck Harry, I always give you the benefit of the doubt. It goes without saying that I was impressed!
Bob
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

ewwwwwwww enough!

Post by jimmylegs »

dang i'm not sure whether the sparring or the loving is more nauseating you two! :wink:
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Hey Jimmy,
It's a good thing Ian's been scarce. My words are making even myself a little queasy and considering Ian's delicate situation I hate to think what this would do to him!

Give us little while to get this dratted Christmas cheer out of our systems so that we can get back to being our ornery selves again!
Bob