Which are the safest (and least safe) MS drugs on the market

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Which are the safest (and least safe) MS drugs on the market

Post by MSUK »

A new comprehensive report on the safety of MS drugs may have doctors rethinking their recommendations.

The results are in, and according to a recent report comparing the safety records of all multiple sclerosis (MS) drugs on the market, Tecfidera took the top safety prize. The report reveals that newer MS drugs received high marks for safety, while older interferon drugs had more reported side effects...... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/drugsresearch
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Which are the safest (and least safe) MS drugs on the ma

Post by HarryZ »

“We are limited by what is recorded into FAERS,” Hoffman points out. “If a safety concern takes years to manifest after a drug’s approval we will not see those reports until they are filed.”
So it was no surprise that the study found that the CRAB drugs had the worst safety rating. Yet, since their introduction in the early 90s, the cost of these drugs has gone up substantially. Most products that have been on the market for a long period of time drop in price but not the drugs for MS...they actually go up! And it's not because production costs are higher but because of the cost of the newer drugs like Tysabri. The makers of these drugs see what something like Tysabri costs and then raise their prices to charge what the market will tolerate.

Remember Biogen told us Tysabri was safe when it first came out!! We now know differently and as the time these newer drugs have been out increases the safety levels decrease. And how many times have we read that the efficacy of the CRAB drugs is not anywhere near the levels we were told initially!

I guess this is what happens when a disease of unknown cause is treated with a variety of different drugs that have little success yet cost huge amounts of money to the health care system.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Why would anyone believe what the drug companies say? It is all about the money with these jokers. Unfortunately there is no magic drug. You have to do it with diet. You eat the correct foods your body will heal itself. That has been the way it has works since the beginning. You put bad things in your body you get sick. You put good things in your body you get well. Drugs are a bad thing. Does matter if you get them from the drug dealer or a doctor. These chemicals do not belong in the body. They will make you sick.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

We've had this discussion before....while many drug companies don't give a second thought about their customer's health, there are also many that are good companies and develop life saving and effective drugs. Polio vaccine and rabies vaccine are but two of those drugs.

While proper diet goes a long way to good health I don't think I would turn to good food to avoid death after getting bitten by a rabid dog. If you prefer a healthy tossed salad to cure rabies, good luck.

And if you are comparing getting a prescription from a doctor to buying illegal drugs from a street dealer then I really wonder about your ability to rationalize much of anything.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Post by jerrygallow »

at first I read this paper with great interest, then I realized they called Tysabri safe, and Copaxone dangerous (because people have temporary reactions). If you look at their determination, it's nothing more than a list of how long the drug has been in use. The oldest ones have the worst record and the newest ones are the "safest". hogwash. How many people have died from Rebif? How many have died from Tysabri? I think Tysabri has killed closed to two hundred people, (and the documented cases are arguably grossly deficient). I don't think the shots have that kind of death rate. Aubagio shreds your liver. Gilenya can stop your heart. But those are safer. I don't buy it.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The report is not quite what the title insinuates. per the article, "The FAERS database only examines side effects, not effectiveness" or other issues. I guess death and PML are not SERIOUS side effects.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Most likely the article was introduced by a drug company wanting to sell the new MS drugs. Drugs are not the way to treat autoimmune disease. They give temporary relief and are toxic to the body. As for the polio vaccine most of us have gotten it. If I had to make the choice today the answer is NO. Once you clean up the water these diseases go away. The vaccine could be the reason we have a rise in the rates of cancer. If I ever get bitten by an animal I will look into the effectiveness of the rabies vaccine but until then my thoughts are the body can heal itself if you make it healthy. This is done by diet.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032854_SV40_ ... cines.html#

http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... ped-polio/

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/XS6vPo ... id-pa.html
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Want1bike, what exactly is the diet that cures MS? Please be specific.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

A place to start is eating the raw fruits and vegetables which give us the vitamins and minerals our bodies need. If you believe the Bible God told Adam and Eve to eat the fruits and vegetables. That was his instructions for good health. Nothing has changed. Some think you can get these vitamins and minerals from a pill. It is best to get them from the food. There could be other things in the food you cannot get from a pill. The fruits and vegetables must be organic. Do not eat the GMO food because it is full of poisons. Dr. Bergman explains it very well in his video. Dr. Bergman says you can get your health back in 60 days. Gives his program a try for 60 days and see if it works. You have nothing to lose but your MS.

HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

If I ever get bitten by an animal I will look into the effectiveness of the rabies vaccine but until then my thoughts are the body can heal itself if you make it healthy. This is done by diet.
Then you better determine this very quickly because if the animal is rabid, you have about 2 weeks to start on the vaccine or else you have an 80% chance of dying!

And the polio vaccine possibly causing an increase in cancer?!! What did another poster mention about fear mongering on this board?
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Dr. Bergman says you can get your health back in 60 days. Gives his program a try for 60 days and see if it works. You have nothing to lose but your MS.

A friend of mine has been on a raw diet for years. She lives about as healthy as one can combining exercise, good eating, good living etc. Last year her doctor discovered that she had ovarian cancer. Rather than load up on more vegetables she chose to have surgery. Cancer removed and she gets regular check-ups to monitor her situation.

I guess her particular example proves that regardless of how one eats, one can still get cancer or any other serious illness out there.
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

jerrygallow wrote:at first I read this paper with great interest, then I realized they called Tysabri safe, and Copaxone dangerous (because people have temporary reactions). If you look at their determination, it's nothing more than a list of how long the drug has been in use. The oldest ones have the worst record and the newest ones are the "safest". hogwash. How many people have died from Rebif? How many have died from Tysabri? I think Tysabri has killed closed to two hundred people, (and the documented cases are arguably grossly deficient). I don't think the shots have that kind of death rate. Aubagio shreds your liver. Gilenya can stop your heart. But those are safer. I don't buy it.
COMPLETELY agree. A study is only as good as the facts it is based upon, and the database they drew conclusions from is horribly flawed.

Regarding diet I tried a fruit and vegtables only diet and became anemic, had terrible energy levels, and needed to take regular naps. When I upped my calories and started eating meat again I improved significantly, even my MS symtoms faded. Don't believe the fad diets and scare tactics out there, do what makes you feel best. I have vegan friends and with the exception of one they are the unhealthiest people I know. Thin, weak, pale and overall sickly looking. I eat a high calorie, high carb, high protein diet that restricts saturated fat to less than 15g a day and feel great. Meat is not bad for you, humans are omnivors, and many of the essential amino acids we need come from meat. That said I do not eat red meat as it exceeds my sat. fat limits, but take a "magic pill" that keeps my iron at a healthy level.
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

HarryZ wrote:
Then you better determine this very quickly because if the animal is rabid, you have about 2 weeks to start on the vaccine or else you have an 80% chance of dying!
are you reading his posts? during the two weeks you say i have to start, i will consume fruits and veggies and be cured. :roll:
chowder1
Family Member

Post by chowder1 »

Please leave God out of this!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

]are you reading his posts? during the two weeks you say i have to start, i will consume fruits and veggies and be cured. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: