Positive 25 year old with MS

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
Asil

Positive 25 year old with MS

Post by Asil »

Hi there everyone,

My name is Lisa, living in northern Canada. I have been diagnosed last year with MS but my symptoms have been ongoing since I was 14 (started with optic neuritis). I have lived the last 11 years knowing I most likely had MS and stayed positive, healthy and active - I have never taken DMT's only steroids for major attacks and natural remedies and a constant dose of vitamin D. Now that my symptoms are worsening, I need to begin a new treatment shortly and I was curious if I could connect with someone else perhaps in their mid-twenties to hear about their experiences. I am a very optimistic person and have tried for years to not let MS or the symptoms get in the way (not always possible), but now that my life is changing as I consider therapies, pregnancy, future, etc... I think that it's time that I try to connect with like-minded individuals!
I am very new to the forum, and I would love to learn, share and connect!

Thanks so much,
Lisa
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Re: Positive 25 year old with MS

Post by Youarethecure »

hellllllooooo!!!

I am 25 as well but I am a male. I had optic neuritis at 19...... basically did what you did (buried my head in the sand) until last year when the other eye had optic neuritis along with about 10 other symptoms.

I have changed my life 10 fold, all for the better and have not looked back.

Diet, exercise, nutrition, and medication each play huge roles in slowing this disease down. Keeping positive and happy is very important too. We have time on our side, which is pretty ironic to say with a progressive disease but they will be able to stop it or "cure" it sometime in our lifetime. Hopefully it happens before we get too bad.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk further, or check out this thread for my whole story http://www.thisisms.com/forum/introduct ... 24164.html

Best of luck to you,

Chris
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

.......Well I see you already are in that thread lol.
Zlatko

Post by Zlatko »

Youarethecure » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:48 am

hellllllooooo!!!

I am 25 as well but I am a male. I had optic neuritis at 19...... basically did what you did (buried my head in the sand) until last year when the other eye had optic neuritis along with about 10 other symptoms.

I'm 29 and my first bout of optic neuritis was about 2 months before I turned 20, guess we're all in the same club 8)
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

lol..... arent we lucky hahaha. Hows it been since then? Have you had a second relapse? or more?
Zlatko

Post by Zlatko »

Youarethecure wrote:lol..... arent we lucky hahaha. Hows it been since then? Have you had a second relapse? or more?
I've been lucky I suppose. I was diagnosed in 2005 with optic neuritis and had to go to the hospital because of a severe burning/shooting pain in my neck. My first attack began right after I had surgery to remove a wrist from my left wrist. They diagnosed me at the hospital, in January it will be 10 years.

Nothing happened again until 2007, another bout of optic neuritis. Then 2008, more optic neuritis and numbness on my left. I believe these 2 attacks were stress related, my final years of college undergrad.

Then nothing happened for six year :)

But last fall I went back to school for a computer science master's, this is the toughest thing I've ever attempted. Stress accumulated and an attack began in May. It started on my right side, had to drop out of summer school because it affected my right side and I couldn't write with a pencil. This has been my scariest attack, first time it got to my legs and inhibited my balance and movement. My right side healed up in about 3 weeks (mid June) but then in July I caught a nasty stomach virus, I vomited on/off for 2 weeks. The MS attack switch over to my left side last month. I started my steroid treatment this week, and its helping. Hopefully I can go another 6+ years without anything again.

I'm changing my diet, going to counseling at school right now, and starting yoga after I'm fully healed, this disease is an inconvenience but it will never defeat me.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Interesting, do you or did you ever take medication? Are you male or female?
Zlatko

Post by Zlatko »

Youarethecure wrote:Interesting, do you or did you ever take medication? Are you male or female?
Male, 29 will be on Avonex 10 yrs next April.
Asil

Post by Asil »

Well, there is quite a few of us! It's definitely not a good thing, but nice to know there are many others that have been dealing with this starting at a young age!

I'll pm you Chris, thanks for the intro!
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

pm'd you back, excuse a few of my questions that rereading this answered lol.
MyLife

Post by MyLife »

Im not sure if this is something to check into but I was diagnosed with MS back in June and I have also been living with hypothyroidism for several years. Anyway I recently just started back taking my thyroid meds and I am starting to feel better. I wonder if the two diseases go hand in hand or if their are people with MS that might also being dealing with a thyroid problem?
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Many people with MS also have other "problems" with our health. There most likely are other people with MS who also have thyroid problems.

Its too bad that this horrible disease at least cant save us from other things such as cancer, diabetes, thyroid problems, etc.... If anything we are more likely to have other issues added as we go through our lives. That is why it is so important to be as healthy and strong as possible.