Any supplements we should NOT take?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
bluemoon

Any supplements we should NOT take?

Post by bluemoon »

Hi,
I'm newly diagnosed and at the beginning of my research. I've read that because MS is an auto-immune problem, you should not take things that boost the immune system. I've always taken a holistic approach to health and am on a variety of supplements now. Would someone be able to share a list of "do not take" vitamins/herbs?
Thanks!

(By the way, I'm on no meds yet. I have none of the symptoms I read about...feel completely healthy. It was a blurry spot of vision that led to this diagnosis.)
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Any supplements we should NOT take?

Post by lyndacarol »

bluemoon wrote:Hi,
I'm newly diagnosed and at the beginning of my research. I've read that because MS is an auto-immune problem, you should not take things that boost the immune system. I've always taken a holistic approach to health and am on a variety of supplements now. Would someone be able to share a list of "do not take" vitamins/herbs?
Thanks!

(By the way, I'm on no meds yet. I have none of the symptoms I read about...feel completely healthy. It was a blurry spot of vision that led to this diagnosis.)
Welcome to ThisIsMS, bluemoon.

You state, "I've read that because MS is an auto-immune problem,…" There have been articles in the past describing MS as an autoimmune disease, but actually, the cause of MS is unknown. Some researchers hypothesize that it is an autoimmune disease, but it has never been proven. In fact, there are many well-respected researchers (Behan and Chaudhuri come to mind) who say quite definitely that it is not an autoimmune disease. (I am in this camp and do not believe it is an autoimmune disease.)

More to the point of your question of whether or not one should take things that boost the immune system… You may find this earlier thread interesting:

"To boost or suppress autoimmunity, that is the question"

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 25296.html

Specifically, I have heard that echinacea is not recommended for people with MS; nor is grapeseed extract, I believe. Other members here (especially gibbledygook) can offer better advice in this area.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Avoid Th1 stimulating supplements. Here's a brief list.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-green-tea-hazards
Th1 stimulating compounds
  • Echinacea
  • astragalus
  • licorice root
  • beta-sitosterol
  • ashwaganda
  • panax ginseng
  • mushrooms (Maitake, Reishi, Shiitake)
  • chlorella
  • grape seed extract
Lyndacarol is correct. Avoid grape seed extract. It's been found to promote interferon-gamma which is known to make MS worse.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... f/0214.pdf
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I started taking Chlorella a few weeks ago as part of my heavy metals detox. I was not aware that it was a no-no. After spending an hour researching it on the web, it seems, as with just about anything else, some say it is OK, other say it is OK in limited amounts and others say not to take it at all. There is no definitive answer on this particular supplement. In fact, there do not seem to be definitive answers on most supplements (I take a lot of them in spite of this).

Supplements to avoid? Possibly those with soy in them. And you probably don't want to overdose on most of them, with the exception of perhaps D3 where it is often recommended for those with MS to take much higher than the typical daily recommended amount - I do. You may want to do some (a lot of) web research and ask your doctor as well.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

And you probably don't want to overdose on most of them, with the exception of perhaps D3 where it is often recommended for those with MS to take much higher than the typical daily recommended amount...
I took 5,000 IU - 10,000 IU of vitamin/hormone D for about 1.5 years and I regret it dearly.
D uses up magnesium.

The "Problem" with Vitamin D
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 22618.html
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"I took 5,000 IU - 10,000 IU of vitamin/hormone D for about 1.5 years and I regret it dearly."

Can you elaborate?
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Thanks for the responses to my question. I'm getting the idea that this is a subject with a wide array of opinions. Am following along with interest.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

THX1138 wrote:
And you probably don't want to overdose on most of them, with the exception of perhaps D3 where it is often recommended for those with MS to take much higher than the typical daily recommended amount...
I took 5,000 IU - 10,000 IU of vitamin/hormone D for about 1.5 years and I regret it dearly.
D uses up magnesium.

The "Problem" with Vitamin D
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 22618.html
Like THX1138, I am cautious about large amounts of vitamin D3. I took 8000 IU of D3 daily for about 1.5 years, at which time I had a very painful kidney stone experience. I suspect a connection between the two – I do not take, nor would I recommend, large doses of vitamin D3.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

ElliotB wrote:"I took 5,000 IU - 10,000 IU of vitamin/hormone D for about 1.5 years and I regret it dearly."

Can you elaborate?

That is 5000 - 1000 per day.
Greatly increased muscle hyper-reactivity and spasticity that responds temporarily to Mg foot soaks and Mg IV's. I could walk fairly well before I started the high dose D, but then the above mentioned muscle problems gradually grew worse and worse now I can hardly walk.
NatyAZ

Post by NatyAZ »

Is Melatonin OK? I have taken Melatonin for a while but just noticed on the bottle it says not to take if you have an auto-immune disease...
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Oh dear - been taking a mushroom complex for a couple of weeks as I was constantly feeling on the verge of getting a cold or something. So now I have a cough - which is quite scary as I had pneumonia earlier this year. So I shall have to stop that. Thanks NHE.

Has anyone tried yarrow? Is that any good?

Before the pneumonia I was taking something that was supposed to be good for stopping colds and such - think it made me worse.it was pelargonium.

J
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

What is the issue with mushrooms?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:What is the issue with mushrooms?
According to the list I posted a few years ago, certain mushroom extracts can stimulate a Th1 immune response.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... ml#p228815

I eat generic white mushrooms cooked in my food, but I don't consume them in therapeutic quantities or take any mushroom extracts or supplements.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Thanks, as I recently added mushrooms to my diet, I will be more selective as to the types I consume.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

It was Lion’s Mane that I tried - saw this and thought it might be beneficial

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... sclerosis/