What POSITIVES has MS brought to you?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

What POSITIVES has MS brought to you?

Post by ElliotB »

While I would obviously rather not have MS than have it, the illness has had some positive effects on my life. And hopefully it has brought some positives to yours. Perhaps you have a few you would like to share too!

I work much less (I have had many 18+ hour work days in my past and spend a lot more time doing things I enjoy more, I am healthier overall, weight less (have lost 45 lbs that I have carried around for way too many years), eat better and enjoy the foods I eat more, am calmer and more relaxed and also have a lot more patience. I have also met/come in contact with a lot of wonderful people I never would have met otherwise. I exercise every day, for many hours (typically 3-4). I now have a wonderful dog I never, ever would have had otherwise. Another amazing/big 'plus' is that my memory has actually improved a lot - for the first time in my life, I can actually remember the names of people I meet, something I have never been able to do. My memory had been so bad in the past that I have always had to write myself notes to remember the things I needed to do. I still do much of the time out of habit but I often don't need them - I went grocery shopping a few weeks ago and left my list in the car and decided to see if I could remember everything I needed. And sure enough, when I got back to the car and double checked the list, I hadn't missed anything. I can even go grocery shopping without a list and usually come back with everything I needed to get. And I have what I call my 'free' parking pass (handicapped parking).

What benefits has MS brought to your life? Hopefully there are some that you would like to share (please leave the negative stuff for other threads).
Kronk
Family Elder

Re: What POSITIVES has MS brought to you?

Post by Kronk »

Good for you Elliot. MS is a horrifying disease and has affected many peoples lives negatively. But to be able to find a silver lining in your life situation is very important. It is not the situation that is bad but your judgement of it.

When originally diagnosed I was terrified. I had worked in construction and was known as the big strong guy. I feared I would lose that image and with it who I was. I was shocked into healthy living and I am now stronger than ever, I have lowered my BP, go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, follow Swank diet and maintain 11% bodyfat. Unfortunately I work more, but it's in a high paying job that has taken me out of construction and into a job I could probably do long term even if I suffer disability. I have started looking into spiritual teachings and feel I get something out of it. I have a long way to go to become "enlightened" but I generally appreciate what I have now more than I did before. The future is scary as hell, the past is full of regret, so I try to keep my focus on the present moment.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

"The future is scary as hell, the past is full of regret, so I try to keep my focus on the present moment"

That hits home so hard for me. I couldn't agree more.

It has made me a better and stronger person. It has also made me happier and appreciate life. I know live each day enjoying life. I was never this way before. I used to be very reserved and somewhat shy. I am the complete opposite now, I talk to anyone and everyone for any reason. The old me never would have even joined this website and reached out here or to anyone in my life. It was a wake up call for me.

When I had my CIS at age 19, I started working out. I have been a gym rat ever since then. I was not diagnosed (yet) but I figured being as fit as possible was a good start if it happened.

It made me quit smoking cigs. I eat a much stricter and very healthy diet now. I work out harder and longer. I am "stress free" although we all know that's bs lol. But I try to be as least stressed as possible. I don't let things bother me.

When I am "symptom free" I feel healthier, stronger, happier and better than I ever have in my life. Everything above being in a relapse is as good as gold to me and always will be.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

If this were a thread wanting to know what MS took from me there would not be enough room to write it all down.

The one thing for the positive for me,, I had the good fortune to meet and become friends with a girl known as "happy poet" here at Tim's. I can honestly say from my heart that she is and always will be a true friend . And , for this I will always be grateful.
kengriff
Family Member

Post by kengriff »

I can't think that MS has some positive thinking. But, it is positive for me in the way of researching. Because scientists have the new topic to research and find new invention.
nullrejector

Post by nullrejector »

Having family with MS (I do not), I've learned a great deal about it. Years ago I started fund-raising campaigns to raise money for MS research, and still continue them. Fund-raising has opened up a world to me that I didn't know existed...a world where people are generous, grateful, genuine, and fabulous to be around. Working in the MS community has brought me more positivity than anything else in my life.

Return to “General Discussion”