does it get worse before getting better

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

does it get worse before getting better

Post by jerrygallow »

I think I've mentioned this here before, but I think I was alone on this. I'm still trying to make Tec work, and am on my sixth attempt. What happens is about a week into the half dose, I start getting all kinds of new MS symptoms. These disappear when I discontinue the drug. For example, I just started getting the hug tonight--never had that before. Or I'll start feeling wobbly on my feet, or get numb legs, all new. I've had MS for 8 years and never had these issues. I'm not in a relapse either. They clear up within two or three days of stopping the drug. I don't get the stomach issues yet. But I'm wondering if this is some kind of die off symptom where the drug is actually doing its job, or if I am just being foolish to even continue with it. Did it make your MS worse before it got better?
carolsue
Family Elder

Re: does it get worse before getting better

Post by carolsue »

I didn't experience any MS-like symptoms when starting Tec. I just felt incredibly lousy (nausea and fatigue) for about 4 days after starting the full dose.
jllandryusa

Post by jllandryusa »

I didn't notice sudden changes @ the time, but have been overall doing worse ms-wise & after reading your post looked back & can kinda tie the start of my 'not doing well' back to july, which just happens to be when I started Tec... I want to stop for a week & see how I feel but i'm deathly afraid of going thru the side effects I had when I started Tec. I remember reading posts from others who had different symptoms & stopped taking it. My neuro is WAY pro-Tecfidera but if I feel better off then back to Copaxone I go! Thx for posting! Good luck to you!!
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Post by mmpetunia »

I have felt much better since starting Tec but that could also be because my compliance was pretty low while on the copaxone and I was probably having a lot of uncontrolled disease activity.
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com

Return to “Tecfidera (BG-12, Dimethyl fumarate)”