Nervous about starting Tecfidera

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
NatyAZ

Nervous about starting Tecfidera

Post by NatyAZ »

I finally got my Tecfidera starter pack after over a month of waiting. I plan to start it tomorrow or Monday, but I am a little nervous. I will be traveling to Peru next month for Christmas - which gives me about 6 weeks to be on the medication before I go. I'm worried the side effects won't have diminished by then and have been considering waiting until I get back from my trip to start which would be January. Of course, my doctor wants me to start now and told me not to wait.

I guess I can start now and if I am having major problems still by week 6 I could stop taking it while on my trip? I'll have an appointment with my neuro before I go as well.

I have read ladymac's post on how to avoid side effects so I will be following that and hopefully it won't be as bad as I am thinking.
gramcjk
Getting to Know You...

Re: Nervous about starting Tecfidera

Post by gramcjk »

Start your Tecfidera using Ladymac's advise, and hopefully you will have no problems. I have been taking Tec. almost two years, and with only only a few minor tummy upsets at the start, I have had no problems. I feel great, and have had no apparent relapses. I have had a T-Spine w/contrast MRI due to spinal issuses, and have no new lessions there. Will be doing a brain MRI in December. I am hopeful there is nothing going on there as well. All of us are different, and have different reactions to our MS DX. Good luck to with your Tecfidera! God bless, stay strong. Eat healthy and exercise. GRAMCJC
NatyAZ

Post by NatyAZ »

Thank you gramcjk for your encouraging words. :) Finished my first week of Tecfidera following Ladymac's advise. So far no issues, some minor flushing and itching but very mild. No GI issues so far. The hardest thing so far is eating on a schedule every 12 hours. Starting 240mg dose tomorrow. Will update in a couple weeks.
littlestbabie
Getting to Know You...

Post by littlestbabie »

hey - how did your foray into tecfidera go, if you don't mind me asking? I'm at the point in my MS journey (whoopee) where i'm still in the process of choosing a med, so I'm lurking all my potential med boards for threads detailing the beginning of tecfidera usage! I hope it worked out well for you! ^^