No
No votes
Need further into
No votes

Total votes: 0

stevenp

Violent Stretching Upon Awakening

Post by stevenp »

It is somewhat normal to stretch upon awakening as our body is squeezing the lactic acid buildup accumulated during sleeping. During the stretching action lactic acid is squeezed out of the muscles back into the blood stream not unlike squeezing a sponge. Over the last few months I have undergone almost violent stretching and shaking upon awakening to the point of feeling as if my muscles are going to detach my tendons from my joints. I believed this to be caused by a mineral deficiency and I finally began taking Calcium with Magnesium and Vitamin D with my meals. I also began taking Nordic Omega 3. Within a week the violent stretching has subsided and I have returned to just simple stretching. I know the muscles need calcium and magnesium for proper functioning. I guess I will need to continue using these supplements as these minerals worked for me.
heyray
Family Member

Re: Violent Stretching Upon Awakening

Post by heyray »

Within the last couple of months I have also been having trouble waking up with a stiff body, and after stretching I have come to endure a violent shaking. I know its a significant change to my body. I began having this symptom after adding more milk to my diet and consuming more coffee. Shakes made out of milk, strawberries, banana, chia seeds, and Amaranto. I have also increased my coffee intake. If anyone has any idea of the cause of the sudden stiffness to the body, violent stretches, and sudden stiffness please leave a comment. In the mean time I will follow Stevens reasoning, increase my magnesium but will also decrease my milk intake. I don't know if I want to decrease my coffee intake because I really need it to exercise.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

stevenp wrote:Over the last few months I have undergone almost violent stretching and shaking upon awakening to the point of feeling as if my muscles are going to detach my tendons from my joints.
That sounds more like a muscle spasm. The magnesium should help with that.
DenverCO
Family Elder

Post by DenverCO »

What both of you are describing is spasticity.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I think what has been described is very similar to what I have been battling for some time.
For me, the first movement I make in bed after awakening sets off sudden, strong muscle spasms, particularly in my lower body; these last several seconds. If I fail to move very slowly at first, I get shaking/kicking. Sitting for extended periods produces a similar, but much milder effect.
I have found these spasms to lessen with significant, daily magnesium intake (particularly Mg foot soaks and use of Mg oil) http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 22604.html. They worsen with reduced Mg intake. This relationship between Mg and spasm intensity I have consistently observed. Recently I have been working on increasing my Mg retention so as to experience the Mg benefits on a much more permanent basis.
Last edited by THX1138 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

heyray wrote:Within the last couple of months I have also been having trouble waking up with a stiff body, and after stretching I have come to endure a violent shaking. I know its a significant change to my body. I began having this symptom after adding more milk to my diet and consuming more coffee. Shakes made out of milk, strawberries, banana, chia seeds, and Amaranto. I have also increased my coffee intake. If anyone has any idea of the cause of the sudden stiffness to the body, violent stretches, and sudden stiffness please leave a comment. In the mean time I will follow Stevens reasoning, increase my magnesium but will also decrease my milk intake. I don't know if I want to decrease my coffee intake because I really need it to exercise.
This does sound like an Mg issue. Both caffeine and calcium reduce magnesium. I also find that dairy consumption worsens my Mg deficiency symptoms.

Magnesium: The most powerful relaxation mineral available...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUWL1o2hSrs

The Best Way to Supplement Magnesium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0zVVvWgaM

The underestimated problem of using serum magnesium measurements to exclude magnesium deficiency in adults; a health warning is needed for "normal" results.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20170394
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i used to have a bit of an extra shudder with my morning stretch. spasticity, as DC says. that and other symptoms have subsided over the years i have spent attending to my magnesium status through diet and supplementation. if i may ask, what are the amounts of each ingredient in the D3 cal mag supplement mentioned above?
with enough diligence, a coffee a day shouldnt be a problem. it actually has a lot of magnesium - too bad it's also a diuretic so you pee it right back out again, and then some lol. i enjoy my daily coffee, but i wouldn't say i *need* it to get my butt to the gym - not at all :)
heyrey, i've recently posted re high density mag foods, and then linked several others to it. if you would like to see it but can't find it, let me know :) i have to write a paper today - am just procrastinating here atm lol better get busy!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.