So, what is the most affordable treatment for MS?

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
David1951
Getting to Know You...

Re: So, what is the most affordable treatment for MS?

Post by David1951 »

http://www.ctsaip.org/create-pdf.cfm?id=5893

Researchers in Dr. Lawrence Steinman's laboratory at Stanford have developed a new strategy for
treating or preventing autoimmune diseases with antihistamines. Using the EAE mouse model for
multiple sclerosis (MS), the inventors have shown that the disease course and severity can be
ameliorated with daily administration of antihistamine

Many have had success using low dose Benadryl.

Try 1 mg per 40 lbs of body weight (+ or - 10 lbs) 4 times per day

Costs less that $5 per month and is OTC

David
itasara1

Post by itasara1 »

Just wondering have you tried this antihistamine treatment? It doesn't take much benadryl to "knock me out" or dry me out.
Not sure about this. Any real scientific papers on this form of MS Rx?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/tysabri-a ... ml#p229601
mrsmomnurse wrote:I have just received a bill from Kaiser...charges = 13776.70, Insurance paid = 11021.36, My out of pocket = 2755.34. This is for one month!!! What is going on????
Gee, only $33,064/year out of pocket! How can the pharmas possibly think this is sustainable? This isn't even a cure and it might lead to severe disability or death due to PML. :wtf:
Anunymouse
Family Member

Post by Anunymouse »

My doc gave me a scrip for tecfidera. I called my i surance to see what they would cover, said they treat all ms as major medical and not drugs, so 60/40 split. When the insurance rep called to set up i mentioned it sounded like id be paying 4k a month, he actually laughed at me and said it was going to cost more than that. Great sales manners.
Anyway they (my insurance) kept chasing me, finally said the insurance first person was wrong, sales guy was wrong, and it would be $50. Much heated discussion later (im still pissed about the first guy) and it was $10.

So i got my first months for $10, its still sitting unopened a month or two later and they call daily. All the reading ive done shows placebo works 20%, and 100+k drugs work 23, and thats only symptoms. None of them do anything about progression so i dont see the need to do it yet.

Lemtrada is the only drug that looks to actually work, and the us is the only country with an airport that you cant get. Too much money in "treating" and not enough for curing.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

The MS drugs reduce relapses but aren't proven to reduce disease progression. The swank diet showed the ability to prevent progression during a 34 year study. Most of those that stayed on the diet were still walking after 34 years. Those that didn't were bedridden or dead. Seafood and vegetables are more expensive than Big Macs, but they're a lot cheaper (and more effective) than avonex.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

You can also appeal the insurance company non-coverage. I have gotten uncovered drugs paid for on appeal.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

Low dose naltrexone also has been helpful for many with MS and it's generic. You have to get it from a formulary pharmacy. About $40 a month when I tried it.
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

Dr Ciscerio in Brazil, high dose Vitamin D protocol. No side effects
Stillhaha
Family Member

Post by Stillhaha »

Inclined Bed Therapy is the most affordable treatment for MS. Search for it on YouTube or Facebook. It involves a one-time investment.