Thyroid & MS

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
sbr487
Family Elder

Thyroid & MS

Post by sbr487 »

Hello All,

A bit of background first ...

For the last one year, I have been going through horrendous joint and muscle aches.
As always, I felt that these aches are temporary and will go away. But I started following up with general physician
June last year. Thyroid tests showed TSH levels high (8+) and additional tests showed high thyroid antibodies.

Doctor put me on very mild thyroid supplements. I had some improvements after starting medicines but symptoms like joint aches etc continued and in fact, I had aches in new joints (e.g. shoulder) even after starting the treatment.

Last October, again I went back to my physician who asked me to repeat Thyroid test. The TSH levels were almost the same.
This time, I went to an Endocrinologist. The Endocrinologist said that the dosage is very low and increased the dosage.
After a month of treatment, I did not find major difference in my symptoms. Around 31-Jan, doctor repeated Thyroid test
and found TSH level to be still high, though, my free T4 levels were slightly better.

This time, doctor increased the dosage one more time and also mentioned that general blood test showing everything else to be pretty normal.

I know that this has nothing to do with MS and much less with CCSVI. But as you might know, TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone.
The catch here is that it is secreted by pituitary gland that is located inside the brain. We believe CCSVI causes changes in the blood flow to the brain. If this is the case then this change in blood flow can cause confusion in measurement of Thyroid hormones in brain and put entire thyroid system in a state of confusion.

I understand all this is in the realm of speculation but my question is, if anyone here with MS has had thyroid issues and care to share their experience ...

Thanks ...
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Thyroid & MS

Post by CureOrBust »

I had TSH tests, and all was normal.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

http://www.webmd.com/women/picture-of-the-thyroid
If you look at where the thyroid is located, it's directly between the jugular veins. The thyroid is also "rich with blood vessels," quoting from the link above. If the jugular veins are blocked, collateral routes will be used. The collateral flow may overload the veins that run through the thyroid, causing problems there.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

AMcG
Family Elder

Post by AMcG »

I believe the thyroid normally drains thru two veins one of which goes to each IJV. So it is possible in CCSVI to have a collateral circle which reverses the middle thyroid vein drainage so that instead of flowing into the IJV blood from the IJV flows thru the thyroid and out thru the inferior thyroid vein. I had this, the doctor who treated me in Poland showed me it on one of his videos. I assume then that this collateral flow would tend to interfere with the normal drainage of the thyroid. Whether that would necessarilly result in thyroid dysfunction I don't know.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”