Medicare and MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
tryin2bstrong

Medicare and MS

Post by tryin2bstrong »

Will soon (and too soon!) be 65. What coverage does Medicare give to people with MS? What happens to coverage for all those expensive drugs we use?
Shayk
Family Elder

Re: Medicare and MS

Post by Shayk »

Hi Trying to be Strong and welcome

I must say 65 isn't all that bad. :-D Medicare contains 4 basic parts, Part A, Part B, Part C, and Part D...Part D is a plan that covers prescription drugs and you usually have quite a choice of Part D providers. A key to having coverage for MS drugs is to choose a Part D (or other plan) that covers the DMD you are taking...and, check to see what the co-pay may be. I think Part C plans also cover some medications, but I've stayed away from Part C also sometimes referred to as Medicare Advantage Plans.

A good site to start checking this out is Medicare.gov

All the best to you and stay strong...

sharon
tryin2bstrong

Re: Medicare and MS

Post by tryin2bstrong »

Thanks for the reply! My birthday is the end of October. It's my understanding that I have three months after that to enroll. Since I've reached my deductible and maximum out-of-pockets costs (did so way back in early March/late February), shouldn't I stay on the coverage I have and wait until January 2016 to enroll in Medicare? I am most concerned about the cost of my meds.....

Return to “General Discussion”