GOOD NEWS FROM ISRAEL.!!

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
ton
Family Member

GOOD NEWS FROM ISRAEL.!!

Post by ton »

Hadassah Medical Center at Israel Conducts Breakthrough Trial for Treatment of MS

The unprecedented trial of the injection of stem cells directly into the cerebrospinal fluid, brings hope to millions of patients worldwide suffering from MS.

A 43 year old woman, suffering from Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, is currently treated at Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital. She will be the first of 48 patients who will partake in Hadassah’s breakthrough clinical trial, in which she will receive an injection of her own stem cells into her cerebrospinal fluid. The success of this unprecedented trial hopes to change the lives of the 2.5 million people worldwide who suffer from MS.

The cause of MS is unknown, and current treatment of this severe autoimmune disease is limited. MS is a chronic autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks and eats away at the nerves’ protective covering (Myelin). The damaged areas in the nervous system are known as MS Plaques.

The Center for Multiple Sclerosis at Hadassah Medical Center is directed by Professor Dimitrios Karussis. Prof. Karussis, a neuroimmunological expert, serves as the chair of Israel’s Neuroimmunological Society, and represents Israel on various European forums for MS research and treatment. The department head of Hadassah’s MS Center is Prof. Tamir Ben-Hur.
In recent years, Prof. Karussis initiated clinical research with usage of innovative medication, along with T-cell vaccinations and stem cell transplantation. This research, done in conjunction with various medical centers across the globe, hopes to bring hope to those suffering from diseases which affect the nervous system, including MS.

The current study will serve as the world’s first attempt to test the effectiveness of injecting stem cells into the cerebrospinal fluid, in comparison to its injection into the patient’s vein.

The clinical trial subjects were carefully hand-picked for this specific trial. Prof. Karussis and his team sought MS patients who currently suffer from Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, in order to properly measure the influence of the trial on their medical condition.

Over the course of 6 months, each patient will receive a stem cell injection – some into their vein, while others directly into their cerebrospinal fluid. The second stage of the trial will include a second injection.
Prof. Karussis explains the importance of the stem cell injection, “The injected stem cells are at their preliminary stage of maturity. This provides the opportunity for potential renewal of damaged Myelin, as well as a potential suppressant for the disease.”

Prof. Karussis continues, “The cell renewal process will not only prevent future MS attacks, but will also significantly improve motor and cognitive functions which were previously affected by MS, including walking, memory, and more. Preliminary results of our trial has seen wheelchair-bound patients getting back on their own two feet.”

Funding for this $2.5 million trial is funded by Hadassah’s research funds, along with Prof. Karussis’ research fund, and generous donations of families worldwide in support of what they hope will lead to a cure for those suffering from MS.
Prof. Karussis concludes, “This is truly a groundbreaking trial on a worldwide scale. The various, unprecedented components of the trial, including the multiple subjects, unique injection technique, and double-injection hope to pave the way to a new form of treatment of MS.”

Source: Hadassah Medical Center - Israel.
miri
Family Elder

Re: GOOD NEWS FROM ISRAEL.!!

Post by miri »

Good news for MS but what about FM and Sjogrens?
I have the former, and was told by a rheumatologist that I might have the latter as well.

I also have spheroid degeneration (yep that's one of zillions of conditions which are not politicized.
I also have electrosensitivity (ditto)

P.S. Also, what about the millions who can't afford the cost of stem cell treatment?
So no, there's no truly good new, until such time as individuals cease falling thru the cracks of policy-setters.
Reachable via PM. Seems I have Higbee's HSII on ThisIsMS. Frustrated by MSers, FMers, Lymers & Prematurely-Aged-By-EMFers who prefer cryptic jargonian Systems Vs. Intuitive empirical experience. Don't simple truths count for anything anymore?
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

Point taken miri but it is still GOOD NEWS.
In fact it is great news. It needs to start somewhere before it ends up being the perfect way you described.
What about this ... What about that?!!!!
What do u expect to happen ? One cure for all?!
Btw an answer to one autoimmune disease can pave the path to many other solutions.
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

What is the difference between this study and what dr. Sediqu did in NY?
ton
Family Member

Post by ton »

Hi Vivianne, please take a look at this information:

http://www.chronogram.com/hudsonvalley/ ... id=2311053
PhireX
Family Member

Post by PhireX »

This is great news - I have always believed that Stem Cell Therapy can target repair the nerve damage as long as it hasn't been destroyed too bad.

If it can re-grow the 'black spots' then that's even better.. I'm going to keep an eye on this.
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

Thank you Ton,
I'm still not sure if I understand the difference.
The Hadassah study injects the patients own stemm cells into the spine. So did dr. Sediqh.
In the Hadassah study some patients were given the injections in the vein.
Interesting.
In WNY Dr. Goodman ( not sure about the name)
wants to have a study too. He will inject in the brain I've heard.
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

Please keep us posted on the study in Israel.
BTW how did it turn out for Richard Cohen and Dr. Sediqh's study?
Anybody knows?
ton
Family Member

Post by ton »

FDA ADVISES TISCH MS RESEARCH CENTER TO MARCH ON:
PREPARATION TO BEGIN FOR PHASE II OF STEM CELL TRIAL FOR MS -
Encouraging Results from Phase I Show Reversal of Disability and Repair of Damage Caused by Multiple Sclerosis

please look at these encouraging news:

http://tischms.org/
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

Very interesting and encouraging.
ton
Family Member

Post by ton »

Paul Alster from The Jerusalem Post wrote this encouraging report.

http://www.jpost.com/Jerusalem-Report/O ... ine-459639