In support of organic diet

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
lyndacarol
Family Elder

In support of organic diet

Post by lyndacarol »

Here are a number of items that support an organic diet.

Gluten and GMO's (Jeffrey Smith & Stephanie Seneff); 50 min.video:

@7:06 "Glyphosate was originally patented as a chelator, which means it binds with nutrients or it binds with minerals; and then it was patented as an herbicide and it was patented as an antibiotic; so with all these 3 different things - it was patented mostly by Monsanto which uses it as the main ingredient in Roundup herbicide. Now, Roundup herbicide is the most popular herbicide in the world. It is sprayed on Roundup-ready crops that are genetically engineered not to die then sprayed with Roundup, such as soy, corn, cotton, canola, sugar beets, alfalfa…"

@9:24 chart shows glyphosate effects: cobalamin deficiency (neurodegenerative diseases), reduced methionine (impaired protein synthesis), elevated homocysteine (heart disease), inhibited sulfite oxidase (impaired sulfate supply), molybdenum deficiency (DNA damage/cancer), iron deficiency (anemia)

@10:55 "Bifidobacteria produce folate, and folate deficiency is associated with celiac disease and causes a lot of problems in terms of excess homocysteine and too little methionine and a lot of problems following with folate deficiency… Methionine is central to methylation pathways throughout the body. For one thing, methionine is important for initiating protein synthesis."

@12:20 "And then there is cobalamin too, which is also produced by these bacteria; and that needs cobalt which is chelated by glyphosate. It's also chelated by phytate. Phytase is produced by one of these good bacteria to break down the phytate; so, phytate will chelate iron, cobalt, molybdenum, - all these essential nutrients will get chelated, and therefore unavailable, by these phytates which would be broken down by these good bacteria but they're not there to do it."

@14:14 People with gluten disorders have B12 deficiency

The Health Dangers of Roundup (glyphosate) Herbicide. Jeffrey Smith & Stephanie Seneff (65 min.):

@2:05 "What jumped out at me in the abstract, 'The consequences of glyphosate are most of the diseases and conditions associated with the Western diet, which include gastrointestinal problems, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease.' We are also going to talk about anorexia and aggression and other things."

Dr. Mercola interviews Dr. Stephanie Seneff (Full Interview), 65 min.,
on the relationship between increasing use of glyphosate and the rise in celiac disease, and other topics: autism, vaccinations/aluminum, kidney disease and resulting deaths/arsenic, depression, Alzheimer's even MS mentioned.
video

Dr. Stephanie Seneff & Dr. Anthony Samsel
article, "Glyphosate's Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases":
http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416

On page 1436, 10.3. A Role for Zinc Deficiency.
"Glyphosate’s known ability to itself chelate divalent cations is likely a factor as well."
I understand this to mean that glyphosate binds to (chelates) +2 cations – minerals like magnesium, iron, zinc, and cobalt. Cobalt is found in vitamin B12 (a.k.a. cobalamin).

On the topic of vitamin D3 deficiency, the authors offer their suspicions… On page 1443
"Glyphosate could also be a factor in the current epidemic in vitamin D3 deficiency [166] through its disruption of the CYP enzymes that activate this hormone in the liver [164,165]."
Anthony Samsel on the Effects of Glyphosate Part 1 video (9 min):

Anthony Samsel on the Effects Glyphosate Part 2 video (11 min):

Dr. Don M. Huber, award-winning, internationally recognized scientist, and professor of plant pathology at Purdue University for the past 35 years.
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Huber about Glyphosate video (58 min):

@6:37 "… and, as this paper from Germany is showing, [glyphosate changes] our intestinal microbiology – again, those organisms are very sensitive to glyphosate because they have the shikimate pathway."
@8:48 "We have to use some common sense. What we have with glyphosate is the most abused chemical we've ever had in the history of man. When you look at the millions of pounds that are applied, at the broad spectrum of effects that it has on our ecology that we are dependent on for subsistence and then we don't pay any attention at all to the fact that there's a purpose and there's an abuse…"
@47:11 "You look at drought-resistance… takes twice as much water to produce a pound of a Roundup Ready crop – a soybean plant treated with glyphosate – as it does a soybean plant that's not treated with glyphosate. You reduce the water use efficiency because you reduce the efficiency of all those keys in the ignition of all those engines that are sitting out here in the plant to the do the work for you. You look at the quality, nutrient levels go down – have a third to half the amount of manganese, up to 70% less zinc, look at your copper and your iron and your other nutrients – magnesium, again, one of those that chelates very well, is immobilized – not only affects the health of the plant and the reproductive ability of the plant – that's what we eat. Isaiah said 800 years ago that all flesh is grass – that's our source, the source for our animals…"

Nancy L. Swanson, PhD in physics
article, "Genetically Modified Organisms and the deterioration of health in the United States": http://sustainablepulse.com/wp-content/ ... alth-1.pdf

According to Dr. Swanson:
“Prevalence and incidence data show correlations between diseases of the organs and the increase in Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) in the food supply, along with the increase in glyphosate-based herbicide applications. More and more studies have revealed carcinogenic and endocrine disrupting effects of Roundup at lower doses than those authorized for residues found in Genetically Modified Organisms.”
“The endocrine disrupting properties of glyphosate can lead to reproductive problems: infertility, miscarriage, birth defects, and sexual development. Fetuses, infants and children are especially susceptible because they are continually experiencing growth and hormonal changes. For optimal growth and development, it is crucial that their hormonal system is functioning properly.
The endocrine disrupting properties also lead to neurological disorders (learning disabilities (LD), attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), autism, dementia, Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder). Those most susceptible are children and the elderly.”

US map of Estimated Glyphosate Application:
https://api.tiles.mapbox.com/v4/ewg.m3f ... 15/-99.844

Seeds of Death – Full Movie (80 min):

@34:50. Jeffrey Smith: "There is also a damage to the pancreas and the production of enzymes that are used for digestion in mice that are fed GM soy."
@42:10 Percy Schmeiser, farmer (Saskatchewan, Canada): "There is a lot of information now on Bee Colony Collapse, and it's now linked to certain of the chemicals that are sold by certain of the major companies. So there's a lot of concern now about the bees dying because now we will lose a major insect that pollinates our plants and so that also has become a big concern. But it's all related, it all goes back to the massive increase of new types of more powerful chemicals, more toxic chemicals, then we ever, ever had before and that's why we have many of our beneficial insects are being killed by these new types of chemicals."

In March 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC, an arm of the World Health Organization) classified glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic to humans (Group 2A)."
http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarc ... ume112.pdf

Harper's Magazine article (7 pages), "Weed Whackers, Monsanto, glyphosate, and the war on invasive species" by Andrew Cockburn:
http://harpers.org/archive/2015/09/weed-whackers/1/

Global Research Newsletter article (2 pages), "Monsanto's Roundup (Glyphosate) Narrowly Missed Being Classed As Known Human Carcinogen":
http://www.globalresearch.ca/monsantos- ... en/5469093

"Cockburn’s article reveals that the discussion at IARC was NOT about whether glyphosate should be in category 2A (probable carcinogen) or category 2B (possible carcinogen). Instead the discussion was about whether glyphosate should be classed in category 1 (known human carcinogen)."

1 1/2 minute video about a Swedish family of five (The Organic Effect:

Interview (part of upcoming documentary on French TV) with Dr. Patrick Moore, a lobbyist, refuses offer to drink glyphosate (1 min. video):

Glyphosate and Mitochondrial Function (53 min. video): Jeffrey Smith interviews Dr. Alex Vasquez, DC, ND, DO, FACN, and Dr. Stephanie Seneff, PhD

Initial topic (@3:00) is on mitochondria function in inflammation, and even in glucose-insulin homeostasis. "The process of secreting insulin in response to glucose actually requires properly functioning mitochondria, and then for insulin to be received in peripheral tissues, that also requires properly functioning mitochondria." As some readers at ThisIsMS will recall, insulin is a topic near and dear to my heart!

(@17:20) Vasquez: "The data is very consistent, and when the data is so consistent, then the question is why is there a question about this. There is no controversy in the research literature about this; the literature is very clear and consistent. So the fact that there is so much public debate is that people are not in contact with what the research is saying because the research is quite clear… Why are we having a public debate about this with data so clear?"
Last edited by lyndacarol on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: In support of organic diet

Post by ElliotB »

I think it is important to understand that just because a food item has 'organic' written on it doesn't mean it is good for you. While it makes a lot of sense to be cautious with produce, stores like Whole Foods and other supermarkets are full of unhealthy organic foods where the 'organic' marking on the packaging may give the impression that a food that may not normally be considered good for you is.

Here is a link to 3 short articles that you may find interesting:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/grass- ... at-organic

From one of those articles:

"Grains and sugars are organic, yet they are very destructive to human health. These "organic" substances cause nearly all of the chronic diseases in America."

One of those articles links to this one, "A Review of the Nutrition Claims Made by Proponents of Organic Food"

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0108.x/pdf

This is a rather long article but quite interesting nonetheless.

Since the best possible health is a primary goal of many of those with MS, it only makes sense to be cautious of all foods in spite of how they are labelled.
Last edited by ElliotB on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:One of those articles links to this one, "A Review of the Nutrition Claims Made by Proponents of Organic Food"

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0108.x/pdf

This is a rather long article but quite interesting nonetheless.
The argument over whether or not organic food is more or less nutritious than conventionally grown food is a red herring. The benefit of organic food is that one is not consuming poison.

Glyphosate is a poison. See the MSDS at http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSDS/D ... Flang%3Den
Hazard statement(s)
H318 Causes serious eye damage.
H411 Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.

Precautionary statement(s)
P273 Avoid release to the environment.
P280 Wear protective gloves/ eye protection/ face protection.

Acute toxicity
LD50 Oral - rat - 5,000 mg/kg
LD50 Dermal - rabbit - 5,000 mg/kg
LD50 Intraperitoneal - rat - 235 mg/kg
Remarks: Behavioral:Convulsions or effect on seizure threshold. Lungs, Thorax, or respiration:Respiratory stimulation. Nutritional and Gross Metabolic:Changes in:Body temperature increase.

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
12.1 Toxicity
Toxicity to fish LC50 - Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow trout) - 1.1 mg/l - 96.0 h mortality NOEC - Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow trout) - 1.500 mg/l - 96.0 h
Toxicity to daphnia and other aquatic invertebrates
EC50 - Daphnia magna (Water flea) - 2.95 mg/l - 48 h
Toxicity to algae EC50 - Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata (green algae) - 485 mg/l - 72 h
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Another interesting article about organic farming, titled "The Biggest Myth About Organic Farming"

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/20 ... rming.html

"organic farmers do use pesticides. The only difference is that they're "natural" instead of "synthetic.... Sadly, however, "natural" pesticides aren't as effective, so organic farmers actually end up using more of them!"

Here is another:

Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming > Conventional Agriculture

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/sci ... riculture/

"... turns out that there are over 20 chemicals commonly used in the growing and processing of organic crops that are approved by the US Organic Standards"

Yikes, I am more confused than ever!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I have added the following video to the end of my initial post advocating organic diet as a means of avoiding glyphosate – I think there is something for everyone here:

Glyphosate and Mitochondrial Function (53 min. video): Jeffrey Smith interviews Dr. Alex Vasquez, DC, ND, DO, FACN, and Dr. Stephanie Seneff, PhD

Initial topic (@3:00) is on mitochondria function in inflammation, and even in glucose-insulin homeostasis. Vasquez: "The process of secreting insulin in response to glucose actually requires properly functioning mitochondria, and then for insulin to be received in peripheral tissues, that also requires properly functioning mitochondria." As some readers at ThisIsMS will recall, insulin is a topic near and dear to my heart!

(@17:20) Vasquez: "The data is very consistent, and when the data is so consistent, then the question is why is there a question about this. There is no controversy in the research literature about this; the literature is very clear and consistent. So the fact that there is so much public debate is that people are not in contact with what the research is saying because the research is quite clear… Why are we having a public debate about this with data so clear?"
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

A New Report Says Organic Food Is Basically a Rip-off

(They (organic foods) are not necessarily healthier or better for the environment.)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/f ... li=BBieYpp

I have often bought hot house/greenhouse vegetables thinking that they may be a bit healthier and grown without or at least less pesticides. But I have recently discovered that this is simply not true either.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Here is the article, "Buying organic veggies at the supermarket is a waste of money":
http://qz.com/488851/buying-organic-veg ... -of-money/

For me, it's not a question of taste, elitism (being able to buy "luxury" food), environmental impacts (although I believe synthetic pesticides and fertilizers do have negative impact), additional nutritional benefits – my desire is to avoid ingesting glyphosate/Roundup. I choose to believe the scientists who have studied glyphosate and report that it chelates (or binds up) certain nutrients in the body, such as cobalt, copper, magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc, and others; cobalt is the basis of vitamin B12 and I believe B12 deficiency has been the start of the cascade of my symptoms.

Since there is no unique label saying "No glyphosate has been used here," the fallback to achieving my aim is the organic label. "Organic" is simply the umbrella label that includes the promise that glyphosate/Roundup has not been used on this food product.

This is part of one more personal experiment (in a lo-o-ong list of experiments) that I am willing to try: avoid glyphosate and supplement with vitamin B12. (I am now one month in to following an organic diet.)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

As it seems impossible to avoid pesticides, I am getting ready to significantly cut back on all greens, which have been a significant part and what I consider an important part of my diet all my life, moreso over the past 1 1/2 years. I am more confused than ever.

Ultimately IMHO, there should be a way to purchase food products without any chemicals, natural or synthetic, on or in them, or at least with a very limited amount. I guess the only way to truly eliminate all these issues is to grow them yourself. I live in a condo so that won't be easy.

lyndacarol, thanks for bring this matter to light. I have learned a lot! And now have many more questions than answers.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Dr. Krüger: Glyphosate is Toxic to Dairy Cows http://www.gmoevidence.com/dr-kruger-gl ... airy-cows/

A new study by a team of scientists led by Dr. Monika Krüger has revealed that Glyphosate (Roundup) is toxic to the normal metabolism of dairy cows.

Field Investigations of Glyphosate in Urine of Danish Dairy Cows
Authors: Monika Krüger, Wieland Schröd, Jürgen Neuhaus and Awad Ali Shehata

Abstract
In the present study, thirty dairy cows from each of eight Danish dairy farms were investigated for excretion of glyphosate in urine. Blood serum parameters indicative of cytotoxicity as alkaline phosphatase (AP), glutamate dehydrogenase (GLDH), glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase (GOT), creatinine kinase CK), nephrotoxicity, (urea, creatine), cholesterol and the trace elements as manganese (Mn), cobalt (Co), selenium (Se), copper (Cu) and zinc (Zn) were investigated. All cows excreted glyphosate in their urine but in varying concentrations. Increased levels of GLDH, GOT and CK in cows from all farms demonstrate a possible effect of glyphosate on liver and muscle cells. High urea levels in some farms could be due to nephrotoxicity of glyphosate. Also the unexpected very low levels of Mn and Co were observed in all animals which could be explained due to a strong mineral chelating effect of glyphosate. In contrast the mean levels of Cu, Zn and Se were within the normal reference range. In conclusion, this study gives the first documentation to which extent Danish dairy cattle are exposed to Glyphosate and its impact on blood parameters.

Environmental & Analytical Toxicology open access research article:

Detection of Glyphosate Residues in Animals and Humans
http://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/ ... 000210.pdf

Abstract
In the present study glyphosate residues were tested in urine and different organs of dairy cows as well as in urine of hares, rabbits and humans using ELISA and Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectroscopy (GC-MS). The correlation coefficients between ELISA and GC-MS were 0.96, 0.87, 0.97and 0.96 for cattle, human, and rabbit urine and organs, respectively. The recovery rate of glyphosate in spiked meat using ELISA was 91%. Glyphosate excretion in German dairy cows was significantly lower than Danish cows. Cows kept in genetically modified free area had significantly lower glyphosate concentrations in urine than conventional husbandry cows. Also glyphosate was detected in different organs of slaughtered cows as intestine, liver, muscles, spleen and kidney. Fattening rabbits showed significantly higher glyphosate residues in urine than hares. Moreover, glyphosate was significantly higher in urine of humans with conventional feeding. Furthermore, chronically ill humans showed significantly higher glyphosate residues in urine than healthy population. The presence of glyphosate residues in both humans and animals could haul the entire population towards numerous health hazards, studying the impact of glyphosate residues on health is warranted and the global regulations for the use of glyphosate may have to be re-evaluated.

Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases III: Manganese, neurological diseases, and associated pathologies
by Anthony Samsel, Stephanie Seneff

http://surgicalneurologyint.com/surgica ... thologies/

Abstract
Manganese (Mn) is an often overlooked but important nutrient, required in small amounts for multiple essential functions in the body. A recent study on cows fed genetically modified Roundup®-Ready feed revealed a severe depletion of serum Mn. Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, has also been shown to severely deplete Mn levels in plants. Here, we investigate the impact of Mn on physiology, and its association with gut dysbiosis as well as neuropathologies such as autism, Alzheimer's disease (AD), depression, anxiety syndrome, Parkinson's disease (PD), and prion diseases. Glutamate overexpression in the brain in association with autism, AD, and other neurological diseases can be explained by Mn deficiency. Mn superoxide dismutase protects mitochondria from oxidative damage, and mitochondrial dysfunction is a key feature of autism and Alzheimer’s. Chondroitin sulfate synthesis depends on Mn, and its deficiency leads to osteoporosis and osteomalacia. Lactobacillus, depleted in autism, depend critically on Mn for antioxidant protection. Lactobacillus probiotics can treat anxiety, which is a comorbidity of autism and chronic fatigue syndrome. Reduced gut Lactobacillus leads to overgrowth of the pathogen, Salmonella, which is resistant to glyphosate toxicity, and Mn plays a role here as well. Sperm motility depends on Mn, and this may partially explain increased rates of infertility and birth defects. We further reason that, under conditions of adequate Mn in the diet, glyphosate, through its disruption of bile acid homeostasis, ironically promotes toxic accumulation of Mn in the brainstem, leading to conditions such as PD and prion diseases. - See more at: http://surgicalneurologyint.com/surgica ... PeSAl.dpuf
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

With a friend's help I have located the English translation of the French documentary, "Notre Poison Quotidien"/"Our Daily Poison," – 2-hour video available on Hulu's website: http://www.hulu.com/watch/709025

This deals with our food supply; it does not specifically mention glyphosate, but seems appropriate to "In support of organic diet."