about high dose vitamin D treatment

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
zorro8081980
Getting to Know You...

about high dose vitamin D treatment

Post by zorro8081980 »

I have read about Coimbra protocol for healing multiple sclerosis. The protocol includes using very high doses of vitamin D-3 and some other medicines.
In the Internet you can find FANTASTIC videos about effectiveness ofthe treatment. Seems like it is much more effective then conventional medicine.
According these videos: People using the Coimpra protocol stop neurological regression, more of that - they improve a lot. No of the conventional treatment generates such a miraculous result.
But strange - almost none of the doctors all over the world uses that protocol. They use uneffective and dangerous DMD with multiple side effects.

Looking at all the situation, it seems like :
1 Coimbra protocol is highly advertized trick. Or
2 doctors all over the world are not professionals at all; and they are afraid to use any treatment that `cross the borders` of generally admitted methodology.

the questions are - did you or your friends use the high dose vitamin D treatment? is is so effective? or is it just a fraud?
why do not doctors use it in clinical practice?
shadowfax
Family Member

Re: about high dose vitamin D treatment

Post by shadowfax »

They don't support it because it goes against conventional medicine.
Take a look at this study from the University of Cambridge

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/vit ... y-suggests
zorro8081980
Getting to Know You...

Post by zorro8081980 »

shadowfax wrote:They don't support it because it goes against conventional medicine.
https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/vit ... y-suggests
but if the protocol helps as they say - doctors can improve the neurological status of patients and so make enough money, i think.
or they have something like `doctors clan` where they depend on each other and independent deeds can produce general disapproval and unpredictable results for career? what is the situation in the USA and other developed countries?
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

I'm also very interested in Coimbra's protocol. It's very frustrating trying to get helpful info since 90% of what's out there is in Portuguese. The big question I have - is it effective for all types of MS, or just stopping relapses? I suspect there aren't many doctors here in the US and Europe using this treatment because: it is relatively unknown outside of Brazil, there have been no actual trials, and it just flies in the face of mainstream big pharma treatments. I does seem to slowly be gaining traction as there is now one ND in Canada and one doctor in Florida as well as a handful of doctors in Europe who are working with this treatment.
shadowfax
Family Member

Post by shadowfax »

Actually there are a number of studies albeit lower doses. It like medical marijuana. People are using less
of conventional medicine and flocking to weed derivatives. Pharmaceuticals are worried.

At the end of the day its all about money.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

did you or your friends use the high dose vitamin D treatment?

Yes I do.

is is so effective?

No way of knowing for sure.

or is it just a fraud?

Probably not, but there is no way of knowing for sure.

Not sure - my guess is it is because it is not a 'proven' or 'official' treatment.

The bottom line is that vitamin D is inexpensive and there is no real downside to taking larger doses.
zorro8081980
Getting to Know You...

Post by zorro8081980 »

ElliotB wrote:did you or your friends use the high dose vitamin D treatment?

Yes I do.
Are you using it now?
What changes in your health did you have after beginning of treatment?

I ask these cause i have to choose between
1 take high doses vitamin D therapy. They say that is the way to turn my illness back.
2 take part in a clinical trial of ponesimod, 3 phase, without placebo. Ponesimod is gilenia analog, and as all conventional drugs it has side effects. It does not heal the MS, just slow down the regression up to 50%
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

tzootsi wrote:I'm also very interested in Coimbra's protocol. It's very frustrating trying to get helpful info since 90% of what's out there is in Portuguese. The big question I have - is it effective for all types of MS, or just stopping relapses? I suspect there aren't many doctors here in the US and Europe using this treatment because: it is relatively unknown outside of Brazil, there have been no actual trials, and it just flies in the face of mainstream big pharma treatments. I does seem to slowly be gaining traction as there is now one ND in Canada and one doctor in Florida as well as a handful of doctors in Europe who are working with this treatment.
We tried to start a forum on the subject matter

Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... tocol-f57/
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Hello, anybody awake?!

THE MIRACULOUS RESULTS OF EXTREMELY HIGH DOSES OF THE SUNSHINE HORMONE VITAMIN D3 MY EXPERIMENT WITH HUGE DOSES OF D3 FROM 25, 000 to 50, 000 to 100, 000 IU A Day OVER A 1 YEAR PERIOD - Kindle edition by Jeff T Bowles. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/MIRACULOUS-RESULT ... _mrai_3_dp
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
vilnietis
Family Member

Post by vilnietis »

zorro8081980 wrote:I have read about Coimbra protocol for healing multiple sclerosis. The protocol includes using very high doses of vitamin D-3 and some other medicines.
In the Internet you can find FANTASTIC videos about effectiveness ofthe treatment. Seems like it is much more effective then conventional medicine.
According these videos: People using the Coimpra protocol stop neurological regression, more of that - they improve a lot. No of the conventional treatment generates such a miraculous result.
But strange - almost none of the doctors all over the world uses that protocol. They use uneffective and dangerous DMD with multiple side effects.

Looking at all the situation, it seems like :
1 Coimbra protocol is highly advertized trick. Or
2 doctors all over the world are not professionals at all; and they are afraid to use any treatment that `cross the borders` of generally admitted methodology.

the questions are - did you or your friends use the high dose vitamin D treatment? is is so effective? or is it just a fraud?
You asked yourself good questions. I've been asking myself very same at first and I was skeptical regarding vitamin D. So decided that I should do experiment on my own and see the results by myself. I never looked back after two months on high vitamin D dose. I suggest to do experiment yourself if you have any doubts. I'm not sure where are you from, but I bet that you shall find at least one person from your country, which follows Coimbra protocol to stop MS. The best place to look is facebook, i.e. https://www.facebook.com/groups/433972210087009. This is international group, you will find there people from different parts of the world. You can also look for other facebook groups. There are even groups dedicated to specific region or country, people shares they own experiences there ;)

One more thing. Doctors, who follows patients on high vitamin D dose, are very serious and cautious about it. My current doctor demanded more blood work tests before starting protocol than neurologist before starting REBIF :) I'm writing about my symptoms every day if any, my diet, exercise and etc.
RufusG

Learn more about high dose vitamin D treatment

Post by RufusG »

Learn more about using high doses of Vitamin D for MS:
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Overview+MS+and+vitamin+D

Find out where to buy high strength Vitamin D:
http://greenvits.eu/pages/where-to-buy

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i started 'high dosing' d3 in 2006 (with the exception of two weeks separated by several years this was on the order of 4000 IU per day) and was paying a heavy price by a couple of years later.
i've never gone back to d3 high dosing since, without proper attention to cofactors, and i look forward to seeing a study of high dose d3 safety that goes longer than 6 months.
overall i can't say i've noticed anything particular as a result of improving my serum levels, other than the comfort of knowing they are better and having learned a lot from doing it wrong.
for results i can *feel*, it's definitely down to other nutrients. my 2c!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
zorro8081980
Getting to Know You...

Post by zorro8081980 »

jimmylegs wrote:and was paying a heavy price by a couple of years later.
what was the price you are talking about?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

thinking i would be found dead of asphyxia secondary to dysphagia resulting from mineral depletion.

this link will drop you neatly into the middle of related discussion from last year
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... ml#p223619
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
vilnietis
Family Member

Post by vilnietis »

jimmylegs wrote:i started 'high dosing' d3 in 2006 (with the exception of two weeks separated by several years this was on the order of 4000 IU per day) and was paying a heavy price by a couple of years later.
i've never gone back to d3 high dosing since, without proper attention to cofactors, and i look forward to seeing a study of high dose d3 safety that goes longer than 6 months.
overall i can't say i've noticed anything particular as a result of improving my serum levels, other than the comfort of knowing they are better and having learned a lot from doing it wrong.
for results i can *feel*, it's definitely down to other nutrients. my 2c!
I read a lot of your posts jimmylegs in the forums. Your posts are very scientific regarding supplements and I think many people find your advises very useful. However, I'm not so sure regarding your knowledge about vitamin D. You are too skeptical :) 4000IU gave you problems, right? However, people get 10,000IU easily during sunny days. If following your logic, sun should be your biggest enemy and sun should make you big troubles during the summer. It's just doesn't compute to me.
Vitamin D in higher doses can make troubles if person is magnesium deficient. This is why I take 600mg of magnesium and other people on high doses takes it. Magnesium helps to activate vitamin D in the form, which gives us all benefits. Maybe you have been magnesium deficient? But still 4000IU is a very small dose ... I take 70,000IU without any side effects for more than half a year now.