MS and goofing around with it with friends

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
nomisz

MS and goofing around with it with friends

Post by nomisz »

Hello guys,
I wanted to know if some of you let your friends joke around with your MS. Well, I let my friends do it at first after I got diagnosed. It helped me to relax about it and not feel so bad about it. For an example, if some of my body part, like the arm or finger was bleeding I would say "Well there goes my MS", innocent stuff like that.
Now the situation is a bit different. My friends do not hesitate to call me a patient or a pussy. I know, or at least hope they don't mean the pussy part but this frustrates me, even though they probably don't mean anything with it. I don't like being called a patient or a sick person just because I have this disease. I rarely show any symptoms of having MS*, just some fatigue once in a while but nothing more than that.

EDIT: On a second thought, could it be that my friends don't take my MS seriously because I allowed them to make jokes?

Is anyone else letting their friends make jokes about their MS?

*Diagnosed when I experienced diplopia. Been injecting myself with Betaferon since then and no serious symptoms.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MS and goofing around with it with friends

Post by NHE »

nomisz wrote:I wanted to know if some of you let your friends joke around with your MS.
No. There's nothing funny about MS.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: MS and goofing around with it with friends

Post by ElliotB »

I would not tolerate it but it is likely that they don't mean any harm and are perhaps trying to cheer you up and/or don't really know how to respond to your situation. My friends just ignore it, which I find is often best... life goes on.

If you are uncomfortable with the way they are acting, let them know and they will likely change their behavior to make you feel more comfortable.

Return to “Daily Life”