GrassrootsHealth newsletter re: Coimbra Protocol

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

GrassrootsHealth newsletter re: Coimbra Protocol

Post by lyndacarol »

In a newsletter from GrassrootsHealth:

Dr. Cicero G. Coimbra's Vitamin D Protocol for Multiple Sclerosis (3 min.)

March 2, 2016
Director's Letter
Carole Baggerly
Director, GrassrootsHealth

Vitamin D is great for prevention of disease, but what about treatment after you've been diagnosed? We will study and report on leading-edge treatments using vitamin D as we find them. One treatment protocol that we are excited to share with you is for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Since March is National Multiple Sclerosis month, now is the perfect time to bring it out into the light.

The protocol we'll be highlighting in this newsletter was developed by Dr. Cicero Coimbra of Brazil. As with all in our panel of scientists, Dr. Coimbra is dedicated to his research and his patients. He has seen thousands of patients at his clinic and has started to replicate his practice in other countries. We are hoping to further define this protocol with him to see what can be implemented as a standard-of-practice world-wide.

One note, this newsletter profiles a specific treatment protocol - not yet a recommendation from GrassrootsHealth. If you have, or know someone with MS, please take the time to read the article and watch the many recommended videos. Then, find a doctor who is well versed in this protocol. Do not try it alone.

How can you act? Throughout this month we will be reporting on the connection of vitamin D and MS. There is a strong correlation. Reach out to those you know, to MS societies, to your local journalist. Let them know that there is a connection and refer them to this (and future) newsletters. We are already working on one of our 'Moving Research into Practice' Protocols for Multiple Sclerosis. We will keep you informed.

Onwards!

**Of note, please take advantage of our March Special to get a vitamin D test kit for less than $50!**

Carole Baggerly
A Public Health Promotion & Research Organization
Moving Research into Practice NOW!

A New Translational Research Protocol: Using 1000 IU/day per kg Body Weight to Force MS Into Remission
Cicero G. Coimbra, MD, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery
Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP
President, Autoimmunity Investigation and Research Institute

About Dr. Cicero Coimbra Dr. Coimbra received his medical degree from the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul in 1979. He did two years of internal medical residency and two years of adult neurology residency at the Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, Brazil; followed by a year of fellowship training in pediatric neurology at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami. Coimbra earned his PhD in clinical neurology from the Federal University of São Paulo in 1990. He has also completed post PhD training in experimental brain ischemia at the Laboratory for Brain Research, University of Lund, Sweden. He is currently Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP.

The making of a new protocol Dr. Coimbra wanted to change lives, to treat neurological disorders. After his fellowship, Coimbra started doing experimental research by inducing ischemic brain damage in rats (in São Paulo, Brazil and Lund, Sweden) and testing different treatments to see what worked. Moderate hypothermia (body temperature reduced to 33 degrees Celsius) provided robust protection to the rat brain. Conversely, postischemic hyperthermia was detrimental, and could trigger a chronic neurodegenerative process. Administration of choline - a natural component of neuronal membranes - provided a moderate protection, suggesting that restricted availability of choline after transient brain ischemia was critical for cell membrane repair and consequent neuronal survival.

"Seeing MS patients getting back to a normal life, young people no longer at risk of going blind or paraplegic - such experience gives great satisfaction to the doctor who has them under his/her care. It has been very gratifying." - Dr. Coimbra

Following a general rule for research work, Coimbra needed to be as up to date as possible on the latest findings related to his field of interest (clinical neuroscience). He realized that much of the therapeutic progresses achieved from clinical and experimental research had not been moved to clinical practice. In spite of their immediate clinical applicability, these practices were not being taught in medical schools - even after several confirmatory reports. At a certain point Coimbra was convinced vitamin D would be a fundamental therapeutic resource, as it stimulates the production of several neuroregenerative substances in the brain.

Coimbra began administering vitamin D in physiological doses (10,000 IU/day) to Parkinson's patients around the year 2001. He noticed that an extensive depigmented area on the forehead of one of his Parkinson's patients (who had also vitiligo - an autoimmune disorder) had virtually disappeared after 3 months on that daily dose. Searching the medical literature for the effects of vitamin D on the immune system revealed a significant number of published papers supporting a fundamental immunoregulatory role of that steroid, that vitamin D is actually a precursor of a powerful hormone that targets receptors in virtually all human cells to control a wide range of biological functions. Since MS is the most common neurological autoimmune disease and a major cause of incapacitating disabilities (like blindness, paraplegia) in young people, he decided to start treating MS patients in 2002 initially using similar doses of vitamin D.

What is a physiological dose of vitamin D?
Coimbra believes that 10,000 IU/day of vitamin D is a physiological dose. This is the amount of vitamin D a young person makes if they are light skinned, wearing shorts and a t-shirt for about 20-30 minutes of mid-day sun. This daily dose is totally safe. No precautions are necessary. It is worth noting that the IOM indicated that 10,000 IU/day was considered the "NOAEL"--the 'no observed adverse effect level'. Coimbra calls the RDA a "paltry dose, although still officially recommended."

Why does vitamin D work?
The active form of vitamin D is the main regulator of the immune system. It empowers the innate immunity against microorganisms and suppresses autoimmunity (which is dependent on an abnormal "program" of immune activities known as "Th17", and is powerfully counteracted by vitamin D). Vitamin D also induces the proliferation of regulatory immune cells called "regulatory T lymphocytes." There is a vitamin D receptor (VDR) in every cell of the immune system. Vitamin D modifies the function of approximately 10% of human genes.

What does Dr. Coimbra's protocol entail?
Coimbra has been able to successfully suppress disease activity in about 95% of MS cases with variable (individually tailored) high daily doses of vitamin D. The doses are set according to the results of laboratory tests in order to compensate for that individual's degree of genetic vitamin D resistance. This resistance seems to underlie the predisposition to (and maintenance of) autoimmune aggression through the Th17 program of activities. As the protocol aims at regulating the immune system, it has been similarly effective in treating several other autoimmune diseases.

He and his team of 5 doctors have treated more than 4,000 patients at his clinic in San Paulo City using the protocol. He has trained 27 physicians who have launched their own clinics in other cities of Brazil and other countries such as Argentina (2), Peru (1), Portugal (1), Spain (1), Italy (3), Croatia (1) and Canada (1). An ophthalmologist in Naples, FL has been recently trained and is preparing to start a research project using the same protocol to treat autoimmune diseases like uveitis - a major cause of blindness in the general population.

The average initial dose for patients in this treatment protocol is about 1000 IU/day per kg of body weight. In addition to vitamin D, he also prescribes vitamin B2; a diet excluding calcium; and extra fluids (minimum 2.5L/day). After 2-3 months, the daily dose of vitamin D is adjusted in response to changes in laboratory test results. After one year the daily dose is further adjusted to compensate for adaptive changes of vitamin D metabolism (not unusual in patients receiving high doses), until a stable level of laboratory parameters is reached for that individual patient, the point at which vitamin D has reached its maximum immunological effect. This is usually achieved at the third or fourth medical appointment, after 2 years on vitamin D therapy.

The blood work that Coimbra is most interested in is the parathyroid hormone (PTH). PTH production is inhibited by vitamin D and his research has shown that vitamin D immune benefit is maximized when circulating PTH has reached the lower limit of its normal (reference) range. Achieving that level of PTH requires variable daily doses of vitamin D because biological resistance to vitamin D is different for each person. PTH values are also used as a safety gauge, as vitamin D intoxication cannot occur if PTH is not fully suppressed. He carefully monitors blood and urinary calcium, to avoid kidney stones. A calcium restricted diet and minimal daily hydration of 2.5 L are imperative precautions to avoid those potential side-effects. He also administers high doses of vitamin B2 (riboflavin). A significant part of the world population (10-15%) are not able to absorb enough vitamin B2 from normal daily doses to enable the chemical reactions within the body that convert D3 into the working form of vitamin D for immune function - 1,25HydroxyD.

After his patients have been at the correct blood level of PTH for 2-3 months, most if not all of the symptoms are gone, depending on whether permanent disabilities were already established before the beginning of vitamin D therapy. They are considered to be in remission as they no longer have relapses, nor new lesions in their MRI images. They no longer expect to be blind or paraplegic, or to become disabled. They have their life back!

After the third or fourth appointment, Coimbra recommends his patients return in 2 years and again in 5 years for a review appointment and to make sure that no further adjustment of their vitamin D dosage is necessary. Right now most patients are still on very high doses of vitamin D (in some cases levels up to or even higher than 4,000 ng/mL are required to maintain PTH around its lowest normal level and suppressed disease activity due to their very high degree of resistance to both beneficial and toxic effects of vitamin D; in most patients the circulating levels are within the range of 250-1,000 ng/mL). He has not been practicing long enough to determine how long high circulating levels of vitamin D have to be maintained to keep MS in remission.

Do you think it was the chicken or the egg?

Does low vitamin D cause MS? Or does MS cause low vitamin D?

Coimbra feels low vitamin D associated with genetically inherited vitamin D resistance and stressful life events trigger MS and other autoimmune disorders. Vitamin D is a natural, powerful inhibitor of autoimmune reactions. He cites latitude charts of MS incidence (the farther you are from the equator - the more prevalent the disease) as the initial epidemiological data which triggered intensive research and cumulative evidence - enabling development of his protocol.

More Information

Physicians interested in knowing the Coimbra vitamin D3 for MS protocol can write to: coimbraprotocol@leonardorubini.org
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Re: GrassrootsHealth newsletter re: Coimbra Protoc

Post by PointsNorth »

This is game changing. And Coimbra actually speaks in English in the attached video! Grassroots really sounds behind him which I find very exciting! I expect high dose vitamin D trials to be next. This feels like the beginning of the end.
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: GrassrootsHealth newsletter re: Coimbra Protocol

Post by lyndacarol »

March 9, 2016 grassrootshealth.net
Director's Letter
Carole Baggerly

Last week's news was eye-opening, wasn't it? Dr. Cicero Coimbra's treatment may not be the panacea for MS, but it is a treatment and we will be studying it. GrassrootsHealth has the translational research methodology to take all the patient data Dr. Coimbra has amassed over his 16 years of treatment and figure out if it is beneficial. Is there harm in so much vitamin D? Is there harm in reducing calcium for prolonged periods of time? Is there harm in taking patients off their MS drugs?

This week we are presenting two success stories from the Coimbra Protocol. Both Brazilian women. Both with long-term success. Both are so excited to have their lives back that they dedicate time and resources to tell others about this treatment.

But maybe you don't have MS. Maybe you have another condition. We would like to hear from you! We would like to know how you are battling your disease with vitamin D. Is it working? Is your doctor on board? Please take a moment to give us your comments. We will summarize the results in a future newsletter.

The more we band together, the more evidence we can give you on what a vitamin D resplendent life looks like. Please take advantage of our REJOIN special (tests under $50) to get your latest vitamin D level, and equally important for everyone - give us your latest health data through the questionnaire. By having up to date information on our 10,000 participants - this allows us to analyze and publish the scientific evidence about vitamin D.

Rejoin now!

Carole Baggerly
A Public Health Promotion & Research Organization
Moving Research into Practice NOW!

Participant Story

Overcoming MS - Ana Claudia

Tell us a little bit about yourself:

My name is Ana Claudia, and I'm 47 years old. I'm from Brazil but I have lived in the US for the past 20 years. Currently I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

How did you hear about GrassrootsHealth?

I found the GrassrootsHealth page through vitamin D articles on Facebook.

How was your health before using vitamin D?

About eight years ago, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I was 40 years old. My first flare up was very aggressive and it affected pretty much my whole body, from the neck down. I felt tingling and numbness on many parts of my body, I lost control of my right arm, I had weakness on my left leg. I was very sick for many months. Even after starting with the prescription meds, I didn't feel I was getting any better. Actually, I was getting worse.

It was then that I found out about a treatment being prescribed in my home country by a neurologist called Dr. Cicero Galli Coimbra. This treatment involved high doses of vitamin D. At the time I did a lot of research about it, liked what I found, and decided to try. After I started taking high doses of vitamin D, my symptoms stopped getting worse and then slowly disappeared.

One by one, my problems reversed, and my MS went into remission. I have been on this treatment for almost 8 years now, and have had no further problems with MS. No flare-ups, no new lesions or disease progression, as shown in my MRIs. Actually, my last MRIs, done in May of 2015, showed that my lesions are shrinking. I no longer feel any fatigue or heat intolerance, which are two very common symptoms in people with MS. I'm completely healthy and full of energy, and I couldn't be happier with this treatment.

How much vitamin D do you take? Do you go out in the sun?

I take 60,000 IU a day and also enjoy the sun whenever possible.

What is your vitamin D blood level?

My levels are high but I don't know exactly how high because the lab where I do my tests only lists >200 ng/ml. The high levels of vitamin D are not considered a problem, instead we watch the calcium level. I follow a diet with no dairy or calcium enriched foods, and every 6 months have a round of blood and urine tests for calcium levels, liver, kidney and thyroid function, etc. My test results in these 8 years of treatment have been within normal range. Before I started the treatment my D level was about 42 ng/ml.

What would you recommend to others who are in a similar situation?

I recommend that patients that suffer from autoimmunity get all the information they can about the importance of realistic doses of vitamin D for these diseases. Once they are well informed about this treatment, it's easy to understand the need to keep higher levels of vitamin D. Today, there are thousands of patients following this protocol in Brazil and other countries, many of them for over 10 years, with amazing results and no side effects. Currently there are more than 40 doctors prescribing it.

How do you tell others about vitamin D?

I'm a member of about 50 Facebook groups and other online health forums. I try to give at least one hour of each day to talk to others about my experience so far, and encourage them to get informed about high-dose vitamin D. Until recently I've been mostly in groups and forums from Brazil, but now I hope this treatment becomes known by patients everywhere.

Thank you for sharing your story, Ana. We wish you further good health!

Book Review:
Multiple Sclerosis and (lots of) Vitamin D

Ana just published a book on her experiences and it is available on Amazon. This book recounts Ana's experiences with MS and her treatments under Dr. Coimbra in Brazil.

Why did you feel you needed to write a book?

I wrote this book because for years I have tried to talk about the Coimbra Protocol in English speaking groups, but it has been extremely difficult since most people don't like watching videos with subtitles, and don't want to take the time to use Google Translate to have access to Dr. Coimbra's interviews and patients' testimonies. I kept waiting for more information in English to become available, until I realized that maybe I should open the way, by writing about what I've learned, following the Coimbra Protocol for the last eight years.

Who did you write it for?

To all patients with an autoimmune disorder. This treatment really is about balancing the immune system and halting its misguided attacks. In the book, there are testimonies of improvements for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis, and Crohn's disease. This treatment is just as effective for these diseases as it is for MS.

Do you see it making a change in the MS community?

I hope it does.

The MS community in Brazil has been through great changes since the Coimbra Protocol became known, so I don't see why the same thing couldn't happen in the US. In Brazil, it was the patients' demands that encouraged more than 40 doctors so far to start prescribing it. The same is now happening in Italy, Portugal, Spain, and other countries. When patients become aware this exists, when they realize how safe and effective it is, that's when they have the power and confidence to present it to their doctors. It's a slow process, but things have to start somewhere.

How do you hope this helps others with MS? Especially those that can't go to Brazil for treatments.

Four years ago, a young woman from Italy contacted me through Facebook. She had found out about Dr. Coimbra and wanted to go to Brazil for a consultation. I and other members of our groups gave her all the information and reassurance she needed. She went to Brazil and started her treatment. She has had amazing improvements since then, and has been telling others in Italy about her experience. Today, this young woman has created the biggest Italian FB group for MS, with over 11,000 members. Through her, other Italian patients went to Brazil, and through them, two Italian doctors have reached out to Dr. Coimbra and are now prescribing the protocol in Italy, making it accessible to thousands of people in Europe.

The same thing has happened in Portugal, Croatia, Spain, Argentina, and Peru. So, while not everybody will be able to travel overseas for this treatment, some people will, and sometimes, one person is enough to bring about the change we need. I hope this book will help with information. Only when patients and doctors are aware of this option, it will be possible to make it available here in the US.

"UNLESS someone like YOU cares a whole awful lot, NOTHING is going to get better. It's NOT."

Participant Story

Nayra's MS Adventure, as told by her Mother

Sixteen years ago, when Nayra was 10 years old, she started having symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS). It took three painful years to get it properly diagnosed and during this time she had multiple relapses, her MS was progressing. When she was finally diagnosed, they initially prescribed her copaxone, a painful daily injection. You can imagine - this was not suitable for a 13-year old. During this time I started to research MS. As I researched, I got more and more depressed. How could a life of disability be in store for my young, beautiful daughter? How did she get such a serious, incurable illness?

One day, I met a neurologist who had MS. She couldn't walk without the aid of canes and had difficulty speaking, but she gave me the name of a YAHOO group where I could get answers to some of my questions.

Another mother from that YAHOO group reached out to me and changed my daughter's life. She also had a daughter with MS and she told me about Dr. Cicero Coimbra. She explained her daughter's treatment and the marvelous care she was getting from Dr. Coimbra. I scheduled an appointment right away.

Our first visit lasted almost four hours, with detailed explanations of the treatment and what we could expect from it. We left full of hope and with a prescription for Vitamin D and some other supplements. As soon as we left the appointment, Nayra said she would never take the injections again. Dr. Coimbra had told us that it made no difference if she kept taking copaxone or not; it was up to us. Vitamin D would balance Nayra's immune system, and the disease would go into remission.

This was in 2003, Nayra has been on high doses of vitamin D for 13 years now. She has never taken another injection or steroids and the best part is that she has not had another relapse. Over the initial months Nayra's fatigue was gone; she enrolled in the school's indoor soccer team. She started walking to school again. Every part of our lives improved.

Initially appointments with Dr. Coimbra were three months, then every six months, and finally annually. Thus the years passed, with dose adjustments, regular lab tests, taking the supplements, following the specific diet required by the protocol, and most importantly, taking the vitamin D (she currently takes 65,000 IU/day).

When Nayra was 18 she lived for two years in Italy by herself, and never had any symptoms. She goes through her life as any other young woman; she studies, works, travels, rides her bike, does sports, goes to the gym. And takes her vitamins. One recommendation that Dr. Coimbra really insisted upon was that she should do everything possible to avoid stress, because stress and anxiety can trigger relapses. With vitamin D and no stress, there's been no relapses for all these 13 years. Nayra has a completely normal life. She's a beautiful, lively, healthy young woman.

In the beginning of 2015, Dr. Cicero requested MRIs so we could compare them to the previous images. And what a surprise! All the lesions on her brain and spinal cord were gone! There was only a small, almost imperceptible lesion on the brain. I am thankful to God that I was given information about Dr. Coimbra - he has given us back our lives.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

March 15 newsletter

What Does the Equator have to do with MS?

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... d0d6ce8843
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Grassroots: A Personal Study on Vitamin D and MS

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... ecccd68a10
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Here's to the end of MS! And to the end of a myriad of other diseases.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... 7a726b8e50
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Vitamin D (and Vitamin D Receptor) is involved with every body system. In my opinion, this explains my chronic high insulin levels – please note the mention of other hot topics here at TIMS (inflammation, T1 and T2 helper cells, CRP, IL-6, MMPs, and many more) This video is technical, but very informative:

Vitamin D and Cardiovascular Disease Prevention (46 min.), 3/2009
Dr. David C. Sane, MD, FACP Wake Forest University Health Sciences

@8:46 – list of Vitamin D Receptor Distribution in body systems (
Systems:
Gastrointestinal
Cardiovascular
Renal
Endocrine
Reproductive
Immune
Respiratory
Skeletal
Muscle
Epidermis
CNS
Connective tissue

@9:16 But it's not all just the cardiac and vascular tissues that we're interested in. Of course, the heart and the blood vessels sit within the entire body and are influenced by other cells and other tissues. As Dr. Garland just mentioned, pancreatic beta cells, of course, have the vitamin D receptor and could influence insulin secretion and glycemic control. And as he also mentioned, it's present in immune cells. And, of course, now, as Russell Ross taught us years ago…

@18:34 There are data showing higher levels of CRP, IL-6 in patients who are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D affects the distribution between T-helper 1 and T-helper 2 type cells. MMP-2 and MMP-9, which are matrix metalloproteinases, which are thought to be involved in plaque rupture and cause the acute expression of atherosclerosis and cause the rupture of this [pointing to diagram] fibrous cap. MMP-2 and -9 levels are higher in subjects who are vitamin D deficient.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Post by DrGeoff »

My first reaction was simple:
If high doses of Biotin work, why not Vit D?

My second was that I know of someone who effectively ODed on 1o,ooo iu daily, and took several months to recover.
At the dosages suggested by Dr Coimbra, I would be on 95,000 iu daily, this would involve a huge amount of faith, and would probably involve very regular monitoring by a medical professional.

Geoff

Return to “General Discussion”