Test all coming back normal

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
gekco789
Getting to Know You...

Test all coming back normal

Post by gekco789 »

The symptoms started two years ago when my face started tingling and going numb and my lower back started to hurt. From there then slowly started to have all the other symptoms. I have tingling/numbness in my face (hurts to smile) face feels swollen but no signs of it on the outside or inside, hands/feet do the same thing and now in my neck/collar bone with numbness/tingling with serious pain. I also have at time problems walking due to my legs feeling heavy like stone and have fallen at least three times in the past year. I am on lyrica for the pain but at times have to take toridol for the pain and at times that does not even work. At times I have problems swallowing and food scrapes my throat at times. I get dizzy at times, have blurry vision at times, and nausea to stomach at times. I am always tired, never have any energy, always feel weak in general, and at times problems with trying to say what I am thinking speech and some time hard time getting words out, and then memory as well.

All the test have come back normal. I have been tested for Lupus, MS, Lyme Disease, have had nerve test done, nerve biopsy done, CT's and MRI's of spine and brain everything normal. I have had a MRI on my neck and chest along with x-ray. I have had vitamins checked such as B12 and D both were low and take them now. I have hashimoto's disease and take synthroid for that. I take symbalta for anxiety which is controlled and medformin for PCOS - polystic ovarian syndrome - cysts in my vagina. Autoimmune disorders run in my family I have an aunt that has celicas disease, sister has Hashimoto's, another aunt has lupus, diabetes, graves, and sjogens, and then another aunt has Parkinson's disease. I have been tested for celicas disease and it was negative have tried the diet for a month and nothing change with my symptoms. The only test results that have come back high was my TPO - antibodies were high for my cells attacking my thyroid and my white blood cell count is a little high but not much. The Doc's say fibro. but I am not so sure about that because I feel that label of fibro just means that they can't find anything wrong with you so they call it that because none of the test results show anything. The only other test that I know for sure I have not had done is a spinal tap.

The ER doc's don't care, been to a endocrinologist, rehumtologist, three neurologist, and my primary doctor. It just seems as I get the run arounds and no one wants to actually find out what is causing me to have these symptoms that they just want to put a bandaid on it instead. I struggle on a daily basis and just want something to go on. I want to be able to help myself out but I have no direction to go in or what to do when the pain is so bad that nothing works.

Why are none of the test results coming back positive for anything if I am still having symptoms? Can anyone give me any ideas on what else this could be or any other ideas on test that I need to have done?
Last edited by gekco789 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Test all coming back normal

Post by NHE »

Hi Gecko,
gekco789 wrote:I have had vitamins checked such as B12 and D both were low and take them now.
Do you know what the results of these tests were, i.e., specific numbers?
gekco789
Getting to Know You...

Post by gekco789 »

yes vitamin b-12 was 306 and vitamin D 23.1.
gekco789
Getting to Know You...

Post by gekco789 »

Sodium 138 mm/L 135 - 145 mm/L
POTASSIUM 4.1 mm/L 3.5 - 5.1 mm/L
CHLORIDE 104 MM/L 96 - 109 MM/L
ECO2 25 mm/L 23 - 33 mm/L
GLUCOSE 84 mg/dl 70 - 100 mg/dl
Nonfasting Range: 70-130 mg/dl
BUN 9 mg/dl 7 - 22 mg/dl
Creatinine, Ser 0.63 mg/dl 0.50 - 1.40 mg/dl
eGFR NON-AFRICAN AMER. >60 mL/min/1.73m^2 >60.00 mL/min/1.73m^2
eGFR AFRICAN AMER. >60 mL/min/1.73m^2 >60.00 mL/min/1.73m^2
Ca 8.4 mg/dl 8.4 - 10.2 mg/dl
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.3 mg/dl 0.0 - 1.2 mg/dl
SGPT (ALT) 30 U/L 15 - 78 U/L
SGOT (AST) 19 U/L 9 - 44 U/L
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 78 U/L 37 - 127 U/L
PROTEIN, TOTAL 7.3 g/dl 6.7 - 8.8 g/dl
ALBUMIN 3.5 g/dl 3.1 - 4.5 g/dl
CALCULATED GLOBULIN 3.8 g/dl 3.1 - 5.0 g/dl
CALCULATED A/G RATIO 0.9 ratio 0.7 - 1.4 ratio
Anion Gap 9 mmol/L 5 - 15 mmol/L
B/C ratio 14.3 ratio 10.0 - 20.0 ratio
gekco789
Getting to Know You...

Post by gekco789 »

Lyme Antibodies, POC 0.15
LYME INDEX INTERPRETATION
</=0.90 NEGATIVE
0.91-1.09 EQUIVOCAL
>/=1.10 POSITIVE
The Lyme Antibody test above is a combined IgG and IgM test
for the C6 peptide. It is intended as a screening test for Lyme
antibodies and is shown to be superior to separate IgG and IgM
antibody tests. Definitive serologic evidence of Lyme disease
requires a positive Western Blot test for Lyme disease.
gekco789
Getting to Know You...

Post by gekco789 »

CK, TOTAL 62 U/L 26 - 192 U/L
ALBUMIN 3.9 G/DL 2.8 - 4.9 G/DL
% ALBUMIN 58 %
CALCULATED GLOBULIN 2.8 G/DL 2.0 - 3.8 G/DL
CALCULATED A/G RATIO 1.4 RATIO 1.2 - 1.9 RATIO
ALPHA-1 0.3 G/DL 0.2 - 0.5 G/DL
% Alpha-1 4 %
ALPHA-2 0.8 G/DL 0.5 - 1.0 G/DL
% ALPHA-2 12 %
Beta 0.9 G/DL 0.5 - 1.2 G/DL
% BETA 14 %
Gamma 0.9 G/DL 0.7 - 1.5 G/DL
% Gamma 13 %
PROTEIN, TOTAL 6.7 G/DL 6.0 - 8.4 G/DL
INTERPRETATION, SPEP: (NOTE)
NORMAL SERUM PROTEIN ELECTROPHORESIS STUDY. NO MONOCLONAL
PROTEIN SEEN.

SS-B Ab <0.20 AI <1.00 AI
Interpretation:
<1.0 AI = Negative
>/= 1.0 AI = Positive

SS-A Ab <0.20 AI <1.00 AI
Interpretation:
<1.0 AI = Negative
>/= 1.0 AI = Positive

So again absolutely nothing!
gekco789
Getting to Know You...

Post by gekco789 »

I take 1000 or vitamin b-12 once a month under the tongue so that is can dissolve into by body and 3000 IU's of vitamin D daily. Neither seems to help. I have asked my doctor about vitamin B shots but she say insurances do not cover that these days and that she wanted to wait until my next test results time is and I am not sure exactly when that is but I know I still have several months to go. So yeah, no a happy camper at this time. It also seems that my symptoms are progressive whatever is going but since this all started two years ago it seem a slow progressive since new symptoms seem to appear every several months. But right now having the neck/throat problems are the worse because you feel fullness/swelling/ pain in your neck and collar bone and at times think something is in your throat. So not sure what to do know because the rhemtologist just wants to send me to pain management and phsyical therapy which sounds like band aids to me instead of really finding out what is going on. She does not understand why my face goes numb and is tingling and says its not fibro but again all the test come back normal.

Frustrated beyond belief!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi gecko,
gekco789 wrote:yes vitamin b-12 was 306 and vitamin D 23.1.
Thanks for sharing your test results. While your B12 and D3 levels may be within the range used by your testing laboratory, they're certainly not optimal. A B12 result of 306 lies within the gray zone and may indeed indicate the presence of a deficiency depending on your symptoms. For comparison, in Japan a B12 level of less than 500 is considered deficient. For more information, you may be interested in reading the book "Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnosis" by Sally Pacholok and Jeffrey Stuart. In addition, a D3 level of 23.1 is also at the bottom of the range for acceptable values. It's usually recommended to have D3 around 45-55.

I see in your other post that you're taking both B12 and D3. It may be the case that you're having difficulty utilizing what you're taking. I'm curious what form of B12 you're using, e.g., methylcobalamin or cyanocobalamin? The methylcobalamin form is more easily absorbed by the body and is also retained longer. Regarding D3, it's been previously discussed that it's best to take your D3 with a meal and also with some magnesium and zinc. D3 tends to hog any magnesium you take with it, so it's best to split your daily magnesium dosage and take some of it with your D3 and some at another time of day. A chelated form of magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate is best. I also find magnesium citrate to work well if you can't find the glycinate form.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

NHE wrote:I see in your other post that you're taking both B12 and D3. It may be the case that you're having difficulty utilizing what you're taking. I'm curious what form of B12 you're using, e.g., methylcobalamin or cyanocobalamin? The methylcobalamin form is more easily absorbed by the body and is also retained longer. Regarding D3, it's been previously discussed that it's best to take your D3 with a meal and also with some magnesium and zinc. D3 tends to hog any magnesium you take with it, so it's best to split your daily magnesium dosage and take some of it with your D3 and some at another time of day. A chelated form of magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate is best. I also find magnesium citrate to work well if you can't find the glycinate form.
Oh, and regarding vitamin D, make sure that you're taking the D3 form and not D2. Taking D2 will actually lower your D3 which is the active form.

Vitamin D2 Is Much Less Effective than Vitamin D3 in Humans
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jc.2004-0360