methotrexate

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
ken11

methotrexate

Post by ken11 »

hi
new to this but i have a question to anyone who has thoughts. i was diagnosed in 84 and have taken methotraxte since 85 and have been lucky in the sense that my ms has remained fairly mild. i cant work (due to fatigue) walk badly and my balance is poor. about 2 months ago my doc took me off of the methotraxte and started me on tecfidera and i have real problems with the drugs side effects. after about 28 years of being on the methotraxte i am asking what you all think the chance is that my ms will remain calm if i stop taking anything
i am 61 years old now
Quest56
Family Elder

Re: methotrexate

Post by Quest56 »

ken11,
I saw your post from 1-1/2 years ago while looking for information about methotrexate and MS.

I was amazed to see that you had used it for almost 30 years. Why did your doctor recommend that you switch to tecfidera? What dose of methotrexate were you using? Did you stop completely? How is your MS now?

I have psoriatic arthritis in addition to SP MS, and will soon start low dose methotrexate to quiet the arthritic inflammation. I will be ramping up to between 15 and 25mg weekly assuming I tolerate it.

I also take 300mg Biotin and 1200 mg alpha lipoic acid daily, which I hope will lessen the side effects.

We are about the same age and were diagnosed about the same time.
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Re: methotrexate

Post by RedneckMBA »

It took me the full eight weeks to get used to Tecfidera. Awful GI side effects.

Now at 10 weeks, I can take the medicine without food with no GI upset.

It's a miserable honeymoon with that drug. Get through the whole honeymoon before quitting Tecfidera.

Return to “Introductions”