Chronic pain

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
zenhead
Getting to Know You...

Chronic pain

Post by zenhead »

i live with pain from chronic spasticity. i've had a baclofen pump squirting meds into my spine for 6 months, and i think we've finally got it adjusted right. but if it gets a little hot or a little cold, old jimmy leg comes right back. if i take additional oral baclofen my brain fogs right over. i'm looking for ideas for how to deal with chronic pan like this. your thoughts?
be kind whenever possible.
it is always possible.
-dalai lama
syckbastid
Family Member

Re: Chronic pain

Post by syckbastid »

Weed works wonders.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

zenhead wrote:i live with pain from chronic spasticity. i've had a baclofen pump squirting meds into my spine for 6 months, and i think we've finally got it adjusted right. but if it gets a little hot or a little cold, old jimmy leg comes right back. if i take additional oral baclofen my brain fogs right over. i'm looking for ideas for how to deal with chronic pain like this. your thoughts?
Have you had a vitamin D blood test (the "25-hydroxy D")? What were the actual test number results?

Misdiagnosed Vitamin D Deficiency
with James E. Dowd, MD (9 min.):

Interviewer: Because of what you said where a lot of doctors still aren't seeing this as a need to get tested for, vitamin D deficiency is probably still misdiagnosed as a number of other things… Is that correct?
Dowd: Yes, it probably is overlooked in a number of different diseases. Chronic pain, something that's rising significantly in the United States right now. There was a study that was done looking at chronic pain and they found that patients who had low vitamin D levels, below normal, were using twice as much pain medication as the patients in the pain clinic who had normal vitamin D levels. So there's a correlation there with how much pain you experience among patients with chronic pain.

@0:55 Another example of a disorder that is sometimes misdiagnosed and is vitamin D deficient is fibromyalgia, which is one of these chronic pain disorders….
@1:25 I'm not saying that everybody with fibromyalgia has vitamin D deficiency, but probably 70% do because 70% of the population is deficient
@1:43 There are occasional patients with fibromyalgia where that is the primary driver of their pain and fatigue and misery; and when you correct that they get dramatically better.…

Interviewer: Could a person be deficient and not really know it? And is there any harm in that?
Dowd: In fact, most patients who have vitamin D deficiency don't know it – either don't know it because they don't know what symptoms are associated with deficiency, or they don't know it because they just feel fine and they've never measured… Symptoms unfortunately are often a fairly late sign in any disease process or deficiency or imbalance. Just because you don't have any symptoms doesn't mean that you're not at risk.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Do you think the pain is coming from the tightness or something else? Pain is not just one thing but, unfortunately, they often treat it that way.

What do find the Baclofen does for you that's positive or negative? How mobile are you?

Regards,