False positives??

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
kitzzie

False positives??

Post by kitzzie »

Hi,
Had my first lot of bloods done since starting on Gilenya 1 and 1/2 mths ago and the results came back positive for a ty pe of TB?
Could it be a so called false positive?
Pls let me know more about this if you have experience with this.
Hang in there MS:ers, Love you all :-D
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: False positives??

Post by ElliotB »

Possibly the best way to know if it is a false positive is to redo the test.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

kitzzie wrote:Had my first lot of bloods done since starting on Gilenya 1 and 1/2 mths ago and the results came back positive for a type of TB?
Could it be a so called false positive?
Pls let me know more about this if you have experience with this.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, kitzzie.

There is always the possibility of a false positive, but a person can be infected with tuberculosis (TB) without showing symptoms; the bacteria can be dormant if the person's immune system is strong enough to fight the infection. TB can be converted from dormant to active when the immune system is weakened.

In the last century, sunlight (vitamin D) was used effectively as therapy for TB.

Recently, these researchers in Spain found that the risk of converting dormant TB to active TB was greater in people with lower vitamin D levels.

Vitamin D status and incidence of tuberculosis infection conversion in contacts of pulmonary tuberculosis patients: a prospective cohort study. (2015)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25274036

Was your vitamin D level measured in the "bloods done since starting on Gilenya?" If not, ask your doctor for the 25-hydroxy D blood test; and ask for your own copy of the test results so that you have the actual numbers.
kitzzie

Post by kitzzie »

Ok, thanks for your reply. Shall remember to write a note otherwise I'll never remember to ask...
They did test for my vitamin D levels and they were low so I'm now taking a D-Pill daily.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

kitzzie wrote:Ok, thanks for your reply. Shall remember to write a note otherwise I'll never remember to ask...
They did test for my vitamin D levels and they were low so I'm now taking a D-Pill daily.
Will you share the actual number of your vitamin D level – how low was "low"?

Your vitamins D-pill? Most experts recommend vitamin D3, rather than D2. I hope your pill contains vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).

Return to “Regimens”