Has anyone started Coimbra protocol 3.5yrs after diagnosis..

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
zjac020
Family Elder

Has anyone started Coimbra protocol 3.5yrs after diagnosis..

Post by zjac020 »

Hi,

Ive spoken to a trained Dr about the protocol and have taken lots of vitamin D (although not enough to be considered "high dose"). I have only had one relapse (in June 2013). As permanent damage it left me with slightly worse balance (noticeable esp. in the dark), and slightly weaker right hand side of my body. when my body temperature increases, or if nervous in certain situations, my right foot drop returns temporarily until I cool down. The MRI found about 7-9 old lesions in the brain, and only one active lesions on the cervical spine, which explained the relapse and the damage it left behind.

I would consider starting the high dose vitamin D except ive always been told that after two years it may not be possible to reverse the damage. Has anyone starte the protocol after 3 years of their first relapse...and seen any benefits? bear in mind that my symptoms arent noticeable in my normal day to day..
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Has anyone started Coimbra protocol 3.5yrs after diagnos

Post by ElliotB »

ive always been told that after two years it may not be possible to reverse the damage"

Yes, many say that and I have seen this statement seen over and over again, but based on personal experience is absolutely not true.

I think the best rule for MS is that there are no rules, as truly nobody knows anything for sure.

Many do well with the Coimbra protocol - hope it works for you! Please let us know...
Last edited by ElliotB on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Womak1980

Post by Womak1980 »

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and I would like to thank you for the info you provide here, I find it very interesting!!!
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Coimbra says that brain lesions with more than 1 year cannot be reversed using the high doses approach. At least that's what he observed in most patients

But I agree with ElliotB.

There are cases of people with brain injuries by 5-10 years that have improved almost completely. However, no one knows for sure if this occurred solely because of the Coimbra Protocol.

It is worth remembering that to heal the brain damage/lesions you need to use high doses of DHA together with high doses of vitamin D3. (I mean, second the Coimbra Protocol).
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Right now im doing the anne boroch protocol, which requires taking vitamin C, which isnt compatible with the protocol. Also, I use almond flour to make some things, which is also a no-no on the protocol.

As for omega 3, i take 6 capsules each with EPA (330MG) and DHA (220MG) per day...dont know if that's "high dosage".

If i could cure the only lesion in my cervical spine id be happy...i know that is what affects my weaker right side. Im sure the brain lesiones where there before i had the relapse, and am pretty sure they havent caused any damage as such. I know its the one in the cervical spine.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

zjac020 wrote:Right now im doing the anne boroch protocol, which requires taking vitamin C, which isnt compatible with the protocol. Also, I use almond flour to make some things, which is also a no-no on the protocol.

As for omega 3, i take 6 capsules each with EPA (330MG) and DHA (220MG) per day...dont know if that's "high dosage".

If i could cure the only lesion in my cervical spine id be happy...i know that is what affects my weaker right side. Im sure the brain lesiones where there before i had the relapse, and am pretty sure they havent caused any damage as such. I know its the one in the cervical spine.

My brother consume almond flour in moderation and he takes a lot of vitamin D (250,000IU/day).

You are consuming a good dose of EPA/DHA.

However, Dr. Coimbra recommends approximately 2,000mg of DHA per day. Of course, the quantity of DHA can change second patient's necessity.

Moreover, it's better to consume a supplement where the proportion of DHA is higher than the EPA. Like this one: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-DHA-500- ... gels/10713
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

250,000 IU/day?

Are you sure? Not sure how much your brother weighs but this seems like a very, very high daily dose...
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

ElliotB wrote:250,000 IU/day?

Are you sure? Not sure how much your brother weighs but this seems like a very, very high daily dose...

Hi Elliot,

Yes, he takes 250,000IU/day. It happens because he has a pretty high resistance to vitamin D3.

He weighs 253 pounds now. However, there are skinny people that also take such high dose because of their high resistance to vitamin D3.

When he was taking 180,000IU/day his Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) was at 22pg/mL and the minimum range is 12pg/mL. So, to achieve the minimum range the doctor increased his dose to 250,000IU/day.

PTH is the best indicator to adjust the dose.

Now, many months ago taking this dose, his PTH is at 12pg/mL. This is the right dose for him.
Last edited by AntonioBR on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

AntonioBR wrote:Yes, he takes 250,000IU/day. It happens because he has a pretty high resistance to vitamin D3.

He weights 253 pounds now. However, there are skinny people that also take such high dose because of their high resistance to vitamin D3.

When he was taking 180,000IU/day his Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) was at 22pg/mL and the minimum range is 12pg/mL. So, to achieve the minimum range the doctor increased his dose to 250,000IU/day.

Now, many months ago taking this dose, his PTH is at 12pg/mL. Thus, it's the right dose for him.
I'm curious…

Your brother takes 250,000 IU/day; his PTH level is at 12 pg/mL – what is his serum vitamin D (the "25-hydroxy D") level?
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Serum d will be sky high...but as he's mentioned how much vit d your body can take is indicated by how your pth responds...
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

lyndacarol wrote:
AntonioBR wrote:Yes, he takes 250,000IU/day. It happens because he has a pretty high resistance to vitamin D3.

He weights 253 pounds now. However, there are skinny people that also take such high dose because of their high resistance to vitamin D3.

Now, many months ago taking this dose, his PTH is at 12pg/mL. Thus, it's the right dose for him.
I'm curious…

Your brother takes 250,000 IU/day; his PTH level is at 12 pg/mL – what is his serum vitamin D (the "25-hydroxy D") level?

Hi Lynda,

His 25(OH)D3 is +300 ng/mL (higher than 300 ng/mL)

The lab does not compute results higher than that.

All his calcium exams are fine.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

In order for nutritional components to absorb properly in the body we need lots of good quality fats or lipids.
The best fats are butter and coconut oil because they are solid at room temperature.
Animal fats from grassfed, organic, no hormones, antibiotics or pharma of any kind in the animals is also the best for our body to repair.
The human body is an amazing machine that is designed to last forever, but we don't eat the right foods and it deteriorates.
We have entirely new body's after 5 years, so if one can eat correctly, I don't see why they can't repair most any pathogenic damage in time.
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.