physical therapist in your home

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
cas
Family Member

physical therapist in your home

Post by cas »

Does anyone have a physical therapist that comes to your home on a regular basis? I can't go to a facility on a regular basis. I only have my husband to rely on and he can't keep missing work like that. Explaining that to doctors is like speaking a foreign language. I can't be unique in that department. I need someone to help me get in position to exercise. I spend all my time setting up that by the time I'm ready i'm exhausted. I'm so frustrated. Why is this so hard?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: physical therapist in your home

Post by NHE »

cas wrote:Does anyone have a physical therapist that comes to your home on a regular basis? I can't go to a facility on a regular basis. I only have my husband to rely on and he can't keep missing work like that. Explaining that to doctors is like speaking a foreign language. I can't be unique in that department. I need someone to help me get in position to exercise. I spend all my time setting up that by the time I'm ready i'm exhausted. I'm so frustrated. Why is this so hard?
Both of my elderly parents have had home visits from physical therapists. In one case it was after a hip replacement surgery. It was paid for by Medicare.
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

Some physios/trainers are good but most are far too expensive for what they do. I see a physio from time to time but have a carer set up and assist my daily home training at 1/7th the cost.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Contact you health insurance carrier and ask them if in home PT is covered under your policy and what exclusions there are. If you qualify for PT under your health coverage your Dr. would need to order it. A Physical Therapist would come to your home x-amount of days per week and x-amount of weeks based on your health plan coverage. This would not be permanent, you would need to continue with in home PT on your own at some point.

I had in home PT. I had broken my ankle, needed surgery and was non-weight bearing for 7 weeks. A Physical Therapist came to my home twice a week until I was able to drive myself to PT.
cas
Family Member

Post by cas »

For some reason my notification setting was off - sorry for delay. I am not wanting to go the insurance route in getting a pt. I have done that several times. They mostly have been rude or give the impression that there is no hope. They look at me and ask if I have a shower seat. I am looking to hire some one on my own dime to get out the barbell beneath the couch so I don't waste precious energy in getting it myself. I want to use what little energy I have in doing the exercise itself. I don't know where to turn for help.

Return to “Exercise and Physical Therapy”