Copaxone after 8 months

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
markablee

Copaxone after 8 months

Post by markablee »

Hi. I've been taking copaxone for 8 years,made a break for 8 months,and now I'm wondering if I can continue taking it.
Does anybody knows if it's safe?
Thank you,mar
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Copaxone after 8 months

Post by NHE »

markablee wrote:Hi. I've been taking copaxone for 8 years,made a break for 8 months,and now I'm wondering if I can continue taking it.
Does anybody knows if it's safe?
Thank you,mar
I've never heard of any problems about stopping and restarting copaxone. However, when people do this with the interferons, I know that the side effects can be worse for a while. Just curious, why did you stop for 8 months?
markablee

Post by markablee »

Thanks.
I had a problem with finding avaliable space on my skin,it become hard and painful,so I wanted to give it some rest. Then I started with natural approach,it was good for a while,but I've developed burning knee and ankle pain together with strong fatigue,so I want to start again and hoping I didn't make irreversible mess.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

To be safe, you may want to contact Shared Solutions regarding this.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

markablee wrote:I had a problem with finding avaliable space on my skin,it become hard and painful,so I wanted to give it some rest. Then I started with natural approach,it was good for a while,but I've developed burning knee and ankle pain together with strong fatigue,so I want to start again and hoping I didn't make irreversible mess.
If you're still RRMS, then you might wish to talk to your neurologist about finding an alternative medication. Copaxone has been reported to be clastogenic in a cell mutagenesis assay. This means that it was found to cause breaks in DNA. I suspect that this triggers apoptosis and causes many of the skin problems especially lipoatrophy.