New guy here.

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
MSKarateka
Family Member

New guy here.

Post by MSKarateka »

Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

I am 39. I was diagnosed a couple weeks ago. I am still not totally sure on the type of MS and am still exploring treatment options.

I have always been healthy. Never a broken bone, my only surgery was to remove my wisdom teeth as a teenager. I have been having symptoms for almost 2 years. I thought my symptom might be a pinched nerve or disk problem connected with a fall on stairs. I actually did have some back issues with that fall as well and needed chiropractic treatment for 3 months. I have had leg numbness and due to the numbness coordination issues. I adapted to my problems with being careful when walking.

I started karate about 10 months after my symptoms started to appear so I could do something with my daughter. I still train, and intend to keep training.

So far my life has not been impacted greatly by my symptoms. Just restless legs at times and the numbness/loss of coordination.

My doc started me with a three-day course of steroid infusions for inflammation and have another MRI scheduled to check the rest of my spine.

That is about where I stand at the moment.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: New guy here.

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, MSKarateka.

If you have not had the vitamin D blood test called "25-hydroxy D," I encourage you to request it from your GP. (Also request your own copy of the test results so that you have the actual numbers.)

GrassrootsHealth (www.GrassrootsHealth.net) is offering their at-home finger-prick vitamin D test for only $49 during this month of March. (No doctor's order is required.) GrassrootsHealth recommends that the vitamin D level should be at least 40-60 ng/mL. In my opinion, it would be a good idea to learn if you are deficient in vitamin D.
MSKarateka
Family Member

Post by MSKarateka »

My D levels were on the low side of normal, and I started taking D, Fish Oil 3 6 9 complex and B complex.

Next time I am at the Doc's I am going to request copies of all my records and then keep them current.

Does anyone use some sort of portable record? If so, what do you recommend? Or, is it even necessary?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

great to have your own records. details are good. curious, what did the docs tell you, re addressing low d levels exactly?
mobile not likely necessary, ime at least. but i am pretty low tech overall.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
MSKarateka
Family Member

Post by MSKarateka »

She has not told me too much. I have just had my initial diagnoses a few weeks ago. Then some blood tests to check for certain anti-bodies to guide treatment. Monday I have another MRI to get the rest of my spine and more of my head. Then a couple appointments to over the results and decide on treatment.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok so your d3 and other supplements are self prescribed? if so which products have you decided on specifically?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
MSKarateka
Family Member

Post by MSKarateka »

My Doc did say they would be beneficial, but she did not prescribe a specific one.
I just have a standard B Complex, D3, and Fish Oil 3, 6, 9 Complex.
MSKarateka
Family Member

Post by MSKarateka »

I was also wondering if someone could direct me to a thread here on recommended questions or tips for the newly diagnosed.

Return to “Introductions”