What kind of diet is recommended for the Coimbra Protocol?

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
ElliotB
Family Elder

What kind of diet is recommended for the Coimbra Protocol?

Post by ElliotB »

Just curious if anyone knows what kind of diet is recommended while following the Coimbra Protocol?

As well, what supplements Coimbra recommends?

And what other information is available regarding caring for yourself for maximum benefit (aspects/recommendations not related to the taking of high doses of Vitamin D....).

Antonio?
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Re: What kind of diet is recommended for the Coimbra Protoc

Post by AntonioBR »

Hi Elliot,

In a nutshell,

As the protocol has a lot of vit. D you need to follow a low-calcium diet. And it is recommended to avoid Wheat and Gluten.

A mixture between Whal's Protocol and low-calcium intake could be good. But it is not a protocol guideline.

Drink at least 2.5 liters of water everyday

It is vital to keep the PTH at the minimum range. Take high doses of D3 without adjusting the PTH to the minimum range - it is just not Coimbra.

If possible, the patient needs to do aerobic exercise (cardio) 5x per week for 30 minutes.

Recommended Supplements:

Vitamins & Minerals - each pill has:

- Zinc: 5 milligrams
- Choline 120 milligrams
- Magnesium chloride or glycinate: 125 ~ 250 milligrams
- Riboflavin: 50 ~ 100 mg milligrams

- Vitamin B12: 1,000 ~ 5,000 micrograms
- Folic Acid: 500 micrograms
- Chromium Picolinate: 150 micrograms
- Selenium: 50 micrograms

The patient must take 4 pills per day. 1 pill every six hours.

- CoQ10 : 100mg 1x/daily (optional)

->> DHA 500 - they generally prescribe 4 softgels per day (2,000mg of DHA). Although this can vary depending on the patient's case/condition.

Supplementation can vary depending on the patient's case. Your Coimbra Protocol Doctor will direct you on dosages based on lab test results

It is important to remember that stress, depression, smoking, drugs for epilepsy, neurological drugs and conventional MS drugs (Interferon, Rebif, Copaxone, Tysabri, Gilenya, etc.). They hamper the good effects of vitamin D.
Last edited by AntonioBR on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Thanks for the info. Any specific foods to consume or avoid?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

elliot just as an fyi one late TiMS member was taking 10K IU vit d3 per day, with 400 mg magnesium glycinate per day for a year, and was still mag deficient per serum mag test after that year. something to keep a careful eye on.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Thanks for the heads up!

My doctor had been doing blood every 3 months until recently and everything has been good overall except for a high D of course. I have backed off a bit on D3 for the moment due to another medical issue I am dealing with.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

-
-

Elliot, there is a list of restricted food on this post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... ml#p238558
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

@elliott may i inquire as to your own serum magnesium result(s)? i'm curious about that and also the reference range being used at your local lab.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I don't know the number but am in the normal range and I don't know what scale they are using.

Antonio, with regard to diet, the link you provided suggests Coimbra does not recommend a specific diet which I find quite strange.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

-
-

On the Coimbra P. Summary, when I wrote that he does not recommend a specific diet. I mean, a specific protocol like Whals, Swank, Jelinek, Paleo diet, South beach diet, etc.

Low-calcium intake is mandatory.

Avoid gluten and wheat is only recommended (not mandatory). Although it seems very important based on science and some books like Grain Brain; Wheat Belly; Good Calories, Bad Calories; and Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ;
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

@elliot probably worthwhile looking into that serum magnesium level. the normal range is especially problematic for serum mag and it's best not left to typical 'normal' vs 'not normal' interpretation. deficiency occurs throughout the bottom half of the normal range IF using 0.70-1.1 mmol/l. and the ranges vary lab to lab. i've seen ranges where 0.95 was the TOP and. this is why researchers are right now calling for updates to the reference ranges for serum mag.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Hi Eliott,

Only to let you know that the Coimbra Complex of Vitamins & Minerals changed its configuration: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... ml#p246678
Lionel
Family Member

Post by Lionel »

AntonioBR wrote:Hi Eliott,

Only to let you know that the Coimbra Complex of Vitamins & Minerals changed its configuration: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... ml#p246678

So, as a new recommendation, should I take 1,000mg of magnesium and 400mg of Riboflavin per day?
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Lionel wrote:
AntonioBR wrote:Hi Eliott,

So, as a new recommendation, should I take 1,000mg of magnesium and 400mg of Riboflavin per day?
No. Remeber that supplementation can vary depending on the patient's case. Your Coimbra Protocol Doctor will direct you on dosages based on lab test results.

Some months ago Coimbra has increased the magnesium intake. The old recommendation was between 250mg and 400mg. Now, it can vary between 500mg and 1,000mg.

The same happened with Riboflavin (vitamin B2). It varied between 150mg 180mg and now the recommendation varies between 200mg and 400mg.

Bottom Line: the higher is your vitamin D dose (and PTH) more magnesium and (especially) vitamin B2 you will need. Stressed people also need more magnesium.
mrtmeo
Family Elder

Post by mrtmeo »

Not sure if this helps, but it has a FAQ with lots of answers.
I found it says 2-6% calcium intake per day was the goal.
http://vitamind3protocol.blogspot.com/2 ... q.html?m=1

From what I have gathered, grain free, Terry Wahl's is one of the best for MS.
Dr Wahl's had to eat 9-13 cups of multi colored fruits and veggies daily for 4 years before she built up her vitamin and mineral stores to allow her to eat at a restaurant without getting symptoms.
Mother was on Rituximab and prednisone for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
Drs denied her dialysis and appropriate treatment for her MPA and forced her into hospice.
She is in heaven and free from pain.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

mrtmeo wrote:Not sure if this helps, but it has a FAQ with lots of answers.
I found it says 2-6% calcium intake per day was the goal.
http://vitamind3protocol.blogspot.com/2 ... q.html?m=1
At the beginning, it can probably help. But it is important to be aware that these fixed recommendations usually do not work for everyone because PTH is influenced on a different level on each person. And commonly people take different doses of vitamin D.

So, the best indicator is to follow the exams. It is much more accurate and safe.

The recommendations need to be individualized from person to person.

mrtmeo wrote:From what I have gathered, grain free, Terry Wahl's is one of the best for MS.
Dr Wahl's had to eat 9-13 cups of multi colored fruits and veggies daily for 4 years before she built up her vitamin and mineral stores to allow her to eat at a restaurant without getting symptoms.
Yes, I also think that Dr. Terry Wahls protocol is one of the best.

A diet without fat as Swank and Jelinek is really difficult to follow. Moreover, grains cause inflammation and a lot of other problems.

However, I read a lot of good testimonials from people that are following Jelinek's diet.