I am very worried... Need opinions please!

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Whatcoulditbe

I am very worried... Need opinions please!

Post by Whatcoulditbe »

Hey there! I am seeing a neurologist, currently diagnosed with ocular migraines. He ordered an MRI and a whole lot of blood work because of my increasing symptoms. He didn't tell me what he believed is going on, but based on my own research, I cannot help but wonder if he thinks I have multiple sclerosis. A little over 2 years ago, I started seeing spots, my brain became very confused and I could hardly respond to anyone who tried to speak to me. Those episodes lasted 15-20 minutes. They would came once or twice a month for about a year and a half, then subsided for about 6 months. They came back 2 months ago, this time with more intense and additional symptoms. I had extreme back and back pain, then slurred speech, extreme fatigue, confusion, vertigo, unable to speak or sign a paper, anxious, heavy limbs, slightly numb and tingling left leg and left arm, and moody. The first three days I laid on the recliner, caring for my children at the bare minimal, changing diapers, feeding snack cakes, and sandwiches when I could remember how to make one. That's it, they watched TV the whole spring break. Poor sweet babies, although I don't think they believe it was a bad thing. The symptoms continued for 9 days in a row... Subsided for two days, and came back for a couple of days. These symptoms would last for HOURS and subside for 30 minutes, an hour, maybe two then come back for hours and hours. Then, it went away for a month. Now they are back with foot pain in my ankle, arch and toes, I limped for a week... Now I am not limping hardly, but the pain is now in my fingers. It feels like when you keep your joints in a position for a long time, then move them after they're stiff and painful. The vertigo is now all of the time, especially when I stand. Last night, I fell backwards. Stiff... Like a domino when you stack them up and knock them over. They've tested me for vitamin deficiencies. They were fine, but now they're testing me for even more things... I'm just not sure what yet. I forgot to mention, that under my left rib, it's tender to touch, and all over the top of my ribs. Wow does it hurt! Almost as if I have broken ribs. I also feel like my chest is closing in... Super scary and uncomfortable. Please, let me know what this sounds like to you, and how your multiple sclerosis symptoms begun.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Re: I am very worried... Need opinions please!

Post by Snoopy »

Hi Whatcoulditbe,
He didn't tell me what he believed is going on, but based on my own research, I cannot help but wonder if he thinks I have multiple sclerosis
You should not wonder or assume MS based on your research. Many things can cause the symptoms you are having and testing will include ruling in/out all of those other possibilities. MS is not diagnosed based on symptoms alone, you will need to have patience and wait for test results.

Each person with MS presents differently with MS simply because this disease can cause damage anywhere within the Central Nervous System(CNS)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

There are about 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS. My advise, let the doctors do their job and be patient.

And

Do your best to take the best possible care of your self in every way possible both physically and mentally - there is a tremendous amount of info on this site alone!
Whatcoulditbe

Post by Whatcoulditbe »

Snoopy wrote:Hi Whatcoulditbe,
He didn't tell me what he believed is going on, but based on my own research, I cannot help but wonder if he thinks I have multiple sclerosis
You should not wonder or assume MS based on your research. Many things can cause the symptoms you are having and testing will include ruling in/out all of those other possibilities. MS is not diagnosed based on symptoms alone, you will need to have patience and wait for test results.

Each person with MS presents differently with MS simply because this disease can cause damage anywhere within the Central Nervous System(CNS)
You are so right... I'm so anxious to get it figured out. I'm worried and just ready to stop hurting and being scared when my limbs go numb and I get dizzy...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi there sorry to hear you're having a rough time :S

i always suggest people ensure their diet and lifestyle is in no way even possibly responsible for their experiences.

when there are multiple children in the mix, an additional possible nutrient depletion flag goes up. the associated questions become were prenatal vits involved, were they taken according to package directions (correcting that problem has gone a ways to helping previous TiMS visitors in the past), did mom breast feed and if so were *post* natal vitamins used, how long between pregnancies, how many pregnancies, etc etc.

re testing for deficiencies, the questions there become which tests? did they test all the ones that could be relevant where ms is concerned? were the results low, mid or high normal? what were the normal/reference ranges used in the lab where testing was conducted? did you obtain your own copies of results? if so are you comfortable sharing or pm-ing results for member feedback?

since blood testing is notoriously challenging (mostly since reference ranges are pretty crap in my xp to date), is anyone pointing you at the pursuit of health? has any health care (vs disease management) professional, such as a dietitian, ever asked for a three day diet diary and assessed your typical daily intakes against daily requirements for your age group, gender, whether pregnant/lactating, and activity levels? in many places food systems are not set up to support optimal health. food systems are not designed to to provide best nutrient density to busy people. we know we should eat whole unprocessed foods, but they're not instant, and they're also about the only things out there with zero nutrition info provided to the consumer in the store. if anyone pays attention to dv %, are they aware that is a flat number for anyone age 2 and up regardless of age, gender, lifestyle and so on?

all important questions!

a few pages of potentially interesting posts:

newish TiMS member zyklon's posts, which in my decade-long history on this forum represent a remarkable fast track from suggestions to data to action (details still unfolding):
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/introduct ... ml#p247337

also, past visitor and mother of three, ms concerns resolved over three months here in 2012
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p189325
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.