Dehydrated & getting worse though drinking 1> gallon a day

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Dehydrated & getting worse though drinking 1> gallon a

Post by jimmylegs »

keeping in mind..:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... ml#p191795
Comparison of the effects of fish and fish-oil capsules on the n–3 fatty acid content of blood cells and plasma phospholipids
http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/6/1621.short

in that study, they found that eating oily fish twice a week or taking fish oil every day was about the same, with the fish being a bit more effective.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

:-D
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Thanks :-D I'm finding that this water thing is REALLY important, not that I didn't drink much before (I used to drink about 3 quarts a day, but it was reverse osmosis filtered water :sad: )
The salt is helping.
I don't have a very good idea about how much, when, and do I need to mix it with my water for to be most effective.
But at some point, it stops the thirst
Did you mean some point in time or some point of salt intake quantity?
David1951
Getting to Know You...

Post by David1951 »

Morton lite salt is sodium and potassium. 1/8 teaspoon per quart is roughly equal to what is in Gatorade. I started at 60 oz per day and much changed in my condition.

I was on 2 BP meds and had to stop BOTH within 2 weeks, my BP has been more normal ever since

Low motility and Constipation, companions of long term dehydration, lessened greatly

I'm sure there was more but I went through this in '08 and have made further improvement since then... those two were the big ones other than the usual low electrolyte symptoms.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

A brief explanation of the physiology of excess water intake for the opening poster to confirm jimmylegs' link:

When you consume excess water, you accomplish three things in the short run:

1) You increase your blood volume
2) You increase your interstitial fluid volume
3) You decrease your blood osmolality (by dilution)

Your body has multiple mechanisms to maintain a certain blood volume:

1) increased blood volume leads to increased renal perfusion, increasing urine output
2) decreased blood osmolality decreases production of vasopressin in the posterior hypothalamus, causing your kidneys to produce more dilute urine. However, your kidneys can only produce a certain minimally dilute concentration of urine, so you will lose some electrolytes (Na+, K+, Mg2+, etc)
3) decreased thirst mediated by the hypothalamus
4) decreased production of atrial natriuretic peptide.

By consuming excess water, you are fighting your body's natural desire to maintain a certain osmolality, even if your blood volume is normal. hence, proper hydration requires both water and electrolytes (in proper moderation)
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I'm back. The dehydration issue has really gotten bad in the past several months or so.
Recently I've observed that getting dry overnight causes my morning muscle spasms to be far worse. Eating during the day causes me to get dry and my muscles to get tight. I also get bad brain fog. These days I really have to avoid eating anywhere near bedtime and even doing that isn't enough to reduce the morning muscle spasms enough.
It's been well over a year since I've salted my water. I'm going to start doing it again. This time I have what seems to be a better salt to use. It's called Salt For Life. It contains potassium chloride from Canada and sea salt from off the northern coast of Brazil. Somehow these two are combined into crystals by the manufacturer. The salt has, 140 mg sodium / 180 mg potassium per 1/4 teaspoon. It also has miscellaneous undefined minerals from the sea salt.

It was sure good to read my old posts about how I had some success with this in the past.
You guys had good, helpful posts. Thank you. :-D
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

As we discussed on your other post your pancolitis may be the cause of the thirst. It sounds like standard medical practice isn't helping. This is a pubmed piece on alternative therapies that are natural alternatives. http://pubmedcentralcanada.ca/pmcc/articles/PMC4138959/

Maybe you can find something half way through the article that you haven't tried.
I do think you need to badger your medical advisors about the thirst. If they say nothing can be done then perhaps look to a new set. If they give up on you then what use are they?

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Great article. Thanks a lot :-D
It sounds like standard medical practice isn't helping.
You can say that again. And again.
I do think you need to badger your medical advisors about the thirst.
I don't get thirsty very often at all, but I do get dehydrated. A nutritionally oriented doctor (that is, one that believes in getting at the root cause problems, not just treating symptoms) gave me a test that verified that I'm chronically dehydrated.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

just curious... what kind of diet do you follow?
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

That's a question I never like to try to answer. But I would describe it as omnivorous with irregular timing. I eat very little sugar and virtually no added sugar. I don't eat sweets and I don't drink soda/pop. I drink a gallon of water a day mixed with Natural Calm, 400 mg Mg. I often don't get 2000 or more calories a day, so I often don't eat enough.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"so I often don't eat enough"

That could be part of the problem.

I am not a nutritionist but frankly it sounds like a nutritional issue. Most mass produced foods today have little nutrition necessary for good health.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

During June, July, August, and much of September I ate hardly any mass-produced food, as I was on the Paleo AIP.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

If you're dehydrated, don't eat enough and have colitis then there has to be a fair chance that your body is actually malnourished. Can the man who determined the dehydration do a fasting amino acid study to see what you are deficient in, a glucose test to check for a prediabetic condition and organise some kidney function tests as that is what they keep saying to check for in the information on mesalamine. Is there some other medication you take that you haven't mentioned?

Vitamin B12 winds its way through your gut but if the colitis is bad at the ilium then you may not be getting the full benefit of it. Can he test for that?

Can he also test for bacterial infections of the gut?

I've never had a condition like yours but I know if I eat certain foods with gluten, dairy or pulses (not all so it must be quantity related) then my stomach will just blow up like a balloon and I am left in agony. I found, for me, that my true favorite foods were actually avocado and boiled eggs. I eat from a broad pallet but I am very wary of gluten. A probitic is essential. I also found pomegranate juice and the fresh seeds helped but the seeds do make you very regular.

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Is there some other medication you take that you haven't mentioned?
No & I quit 15 mg daily of Remeron a month ago.
Vitamin B12 winds its way through your gut but if the colitis is bad at the ilium then you may not be getting the full benefit of it.
Can he test for that?
My b12 is good. & That Dr I rarely see as he is over 100 miles away.
Can he also test for bacterial infections of the gut?
That Dr I rarely see as he is over 100 miles away.

HEPATIC PANEL - Details

Component Your Value Standard Range
Bilirubin Direct 0.1 mg/dL 0.0 - 0.2 mg/dL
Bilirubin Total 0.5 mg/dL 0.2 - 1.3 mg/dL
Albumin 3.6 g/dL 3.4 - 5.0 g/dL
Protein Total 7.4 g/dL 6.8 - 8.8 g/dL
Alkaline Phosphatase 96 U/L 40 - 150 U/L
ALT 41 U/L 0 - 70 U/L
AST 22 U/L 0 - 45 U/L
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

The hepatic panel is not the same as a fasting amino acid panel. Its for the liver but we need to look at the kidneys.

Still might be worth the trip.

Regards,

Return to “General Discussion”