Disability lawyer in BC

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
CAGirl
Getting to Know You...

Disability lawyer in BC

Post by CAGirl »

Hey, I've been diagnosed with MS for a while. All under control but starting to really feel fatigue.
I have a private disability insurance policy. I want to speak to a lawyer in British Columbia (ideally).
I am worried that I will lose my job for "non performance." My employer DOES NOT know I have MS.
I just want to know my options (if I have any). I would sincerely appreciate any recommendation for a lawyer/law firm.
There seem to be a lot of predatory firms trying to get disability claimants (although looks like its mostly injury claims)
Thanks for any help and please PM me if preferred.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Disability lawyer in BC

Post by jimmylegs »

have you checked in with your local ms society office? i'm not saying they're awesome or anything, i ignore my local but if they were of use for anything, i'd expect them to be able to provide that kind of locally relevant info.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
CAGirl
Getting to Know You...

Post by CAGirl »

Thanks Jimmylegs,

The MS Society of BC/Yukon referred me to Law Foundation of British Columbia.

I have a message into the Foundation but, i am pretty sure they will not recommend a specific lawyer / law firm. They do mostly legal advocacy / public legal education.

I was hoping a Canadian on the forums might have experience / recommendation.

I've already downloaded PDFs from the National MS Society on Private Insurance (quite good information) but now need someone to review the terms of my specific policy and help me with options and strategy.

(ie paid professional advice)
Last edited by CAGirl on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i can't think of anyone off the top, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone on here who will be able to help you out.
i don't know what this is about either, perhaps something useful if not directly in the law sphere? http://disabilityalliancebc.org
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

CAGirl
Getting to Know You...

Post by CAGirl »

Jimmylegs thanks for link...is the *ugh* you expressed for these specific lawyers or..for lawyers in general?

Also ...anyone have experience making a private insurance disability claim?

I was a consultant and a friend had a bad head injury. It spooked me so i got a policy and paid quite a lot over the years (before my dx).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ugh bc this law firm which comes up among the top search results, defends insurance companies against claimants
CAGirl
Getting to Know You...

Post by CAGirl »

OK Jimmylegs visited site and ...it really underscores why i need to speak to a specialized lawyer...