CCSVI dead - surely an apology needed from Cheerleader

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
bromley
Family Elder

CCSVI dead - surely an apology needed from Cheerleader

Post by bromley »

no ifs, no buts.

CCSVI is dead and buried. It was fakery and bad science and promoted by Cheerleader.

MSers wasted time and money.

If it really worked (now around for 10 years) this site would have shut down as readers would have all experienced the claimed miracles.

Next time you aggressively promote a treatment - check the facts Cheerleader.

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blog ... peace.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: CCSVI dead - surely an apology needed from Cheerleader

Post by jimmylegs »

hey broms :D at least you're not bitter ;)

not to say i'm in the market for ccsvi treatmemt, but with reference to your last drop in and response, think you may be out of luck!

active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Jimmy,

I just remember the site pre CCSVI. This was a treatment pushed by a small number of people who built up a head of steam. It became the Islamic State of MS treatments and non-believers were beheaded. Ten years on and CCSVI hasn't delivered. We are now in a new era on MS treatments which for relapsing disease can, for some, shut the disease down. These treatments come with risks, but have been properly trialled. CCSVI was the wild west, preying on the desperation of MSers.

I hope you are well.

Bromley
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i know, me too. but things really have settled down in here, in comparison to say 5 yrs ago. it's more spammers than hostility at this point.
and, you don't have to hang out right in the ccsvi forum when you drop in ;)
let us know if anything you're aware of is missing from the various treatment forums.
i wouldn't know, of course. #highlyqualified :lol:
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
shadowfax
Family Member

Post by shadowfax »

Might as well include the anti-biotic nonsense in there as well............
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Like ALL treatments/protocols available/know today, it works for some but not all which to me means a lot about it and all other treatments - BUT for someone in desperation mode who has exhausted all other options, I can understand why they would give it a try...
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

bromley wrote:no ifs, no buts.

CCSVI is dead and buried. It was fakery and bad science and promoted by Cheerleader.

If it really worked (now around for 10 years) this site would have shut down as readers would have all experienced the claimed miracles.

Ah, aren’t we licking our collective chops.

Sorry, all that has been determined is that PTA isn’t the best solution to CCSVI - poor blood/CSF circulation through the central nervous system.

Jimmylegs, you yourself said that a Vitamin B12 deficiency damaged your spine to suggest MS. You probably don’t have a « fluid mechanic » problem which for me means you don’t have CCSVI MS. Your nutrition advice is welcome, but of limited help for someone with a fluid mechanic problem.

Consider my response to THX 1138 on Nov 13, 2017.

« Greetings:

The symptoms you have mentioned – muscle cramps/spasms on waking, symptoms worse the longer you sleep, head stuffiness, and heat sensitivity – point to stagnant, obstructed blood/CSF circulation in the head/brain. (Dr Flanagan pointed out that if the brain is usually cooler than the body it’s because of the cooling effect of fluid circulations. Stagnant fluids cause the brain to heat up which exacerbates injury to the tissue and MS symptoms.)

Apparently my morning TENS self treatment (5’) or upper back massage (1’) has been enough to release blood circulation. (Dr. Owiesy’s idea that when the middle smooth muscle layer of the brain’s draining veins go into spasm, blood flow is cut off, makes perfect sense to me since a brief massage is enough to release the spasm.) Swimming brings total relief. Try it and note the difference in mood, well being.

Consider consulting my site for a fuller discussion.  www.mscureenigmas.net/

Best regards, Vesta »

Now, in my opinion diet/supplements might help, but they won’t correct that problem, he needs to find a way to get the fluids circulating better. MDs don’t necessarily have the answer.

Cheerleader has done outstanding work informing us about the fluid circulation, vascular connection in MS. (See her blog.) I hope she doesn’t stop.

Bromley, you need to apologize to cheerleader for being such a Stalinist.

Best regards, Vesta
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

thx has intractable low serum magnesium. something atypical going on there for sure.

as usual, you can find links to cheer's nutritional recommendations for CCSVI here http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 17004.html
(must be crazy right, everyone knows fluid mechanics couldn't possibly be affected by nutrition, otherwise they'd have things like dietary restrictions for high blood pre... hmm ...)

and as stated last time this came up, pursuit of health deserves equal attention alongside disease management, whatever form that takes. nobody claims that nutrition is the be all and end all, but ignoring the fundamental building blocks of the body in favour of, rather than in conjunction with other options, is just downright irresponsible.

there are many routes TiMS members can travel to find the treatment that works for them.

meanwhile, the pursuit of optimal nutrition is possibly the most unifying option available to those of us with ms, with or without ccsvi, to those with something else altogether, and to those without a diagnosis at all. period. hostility does no-one any good.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

I am with ElliotB. I think everybody is free to believe whatever they want. One can believe others experience, one clinical trials. I also respect people trying everything including stupid things.

I go to gym 3 days a week. I can say "omg gym cured my ms!!!" and somebody will try the same and booooom relapse. Sharing experience and giving medical advice are two different things. Unless it is clinically proven, I prefer to warn people about my experiences. Supporters ignore that and CCSVI sounds highly commercial.

I don't believe CCSVI for MS because of latest trials but I understand people willing to spend money and try it.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

bromley wrote:no ifs, no buts.

I strongly believe Bromley fell in love with Cheerleader.

That's classic: Hating her (constantly) is just a way to hide his feelings

That's kind of touching
Thks Brom for bringing some sweet feelings to this place
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

CCSVI is not dead: rumors of its execution have been greatly exaggerated. It has always been an acronym for a kind of venous insufficiency, which has never been proven to be a cause of MS. That is the least earth-shattering news I can think of. CCSVI is still a problem many people have, and if you have it, you probably have other circulatory problems. If you don't believe in it, it will probably not bother you, so relax :-)

Here's a question for you: PTA was found ineffective for treating MS. Can it treat CCSVI?

An additional conclusion, that CCSVI can not cause MS, was, unfortunately, not proven by the Brave Dreams trial. Some people may need to know. Perhaps there is a need to raise some funds to finance a trial to prove CCSVI can not cause MS. If that is done, they'll get my donation.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Stop calling me surely!
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you can't prove hypotheses. you can disprove null hypotheses ;)
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Oh, dear Bromley. Did you read the full JAMA paper, or simply the editorial comments? Here is the complete paper.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... omment-tab
The delayed effect of venous PTA 6 months after the procedure on the magnetic resonance biomarker suggests a possibility that PTA may produce benefit for a subgroup of patients with MS. This should be further analyzed and investigated.
I wrote a post about the paper here: http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2017/11/e ... tment.html

Over half of the patients had benefit in repaired cerebral blood flow and no new lesions. Sadly, only 54% of people treated had lasting repair to blood flow. The rest restenosed. My husband Jeff was a responder to the treatment and part of this group with long lasting results. In fact, he's had no new lesions, a reversal of gray matter atrophy, no MS progression, remyelination of lesions and can jog, ski and work full days again. There will be further research as to how and why some people have responded. There are theories that those who can remain physically active maintain better shear stress and endothelial cell health. Jeff's improved venous flow and MS reversal has been documented on MRI and MRV.

I apologize to you, Bromley, for my prior f you comment, for making you feel that I ruined your beloved MS forum, for bringing information of the vascular connection onto this board and for my exuberance. I truly wish you nothing but the best. Am trying to be a better human online, like Cece and Jimmylegs :)
Joan
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

Apology, thats funny. PTA cannot possibly work on all/most/some patients, because the narrowings change in both intensity and location on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Just cannot get it through all those thick heads out there who claim some level of scientific expertise. PTA today and back tomorrow with the whackamole.

Stents unfortunately were one of the few if only ways to prove the science behind repairing venous flow vs. symptoms.

I still have no heat fatigue in this hot clime some 8 years after, but thats probably just confirmation bias right? Thats without the shots too.

Zamboni said it cant be so oh well, default to the "experts".
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap