Disappearing Lesions

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
MnRdunck
Family Member

Disappearing Lesions

Post by MnRdunck »

Okay so on my MRI from April of 2016 there were lesions now as of November 30th all of them are gone. But the first MRI was T1, T2 and this one was Multiecho so is it a better technique? Also when I was just at the hospital my blood work came back funny it was during what I thought was the 2nd day of an attack Leukocytes High, Erythrocytes Low, Hemoglobin Low, Hematocrit Low, Platelets Low, MPV High and Neutrophils Low.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Re: Disappearing Lesions

Post by Snoopy »

MnRdunck wrote: when I was just at the hospital my blood work came back funny it was during what I thought was the 2nd day of an attack Leukocytes High, Erythrocytes Low, Hemoglobin Low, Hematocrit Low, Platelets Low, MPV High and Neutrophils Low.
You should discuss the blood work results with your Physician. There is no blood test, positive or negative, that would indicate MS. All blood work is to rule in/out other possibilities. There is no blood test for MS.

All lesions disapearing would mean whatever caused them was not MS, as this would be uncommon for MS.

Was the MRI of the brain, spinal cord, or both?
MnRdunck
Family Member

Post by MnRdunck »

Brain but what is the difference between T2 and Multiecho? Any idea? I know there is no blood work for MS but having high White blood cells I thought that it may mean something. I see my doctor tomorrow. The type of MRI's is really what I want to know about.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"All lesions disapearing would mean whatever caused them was not MS, as this would be uncommon for MS. "

Actually it is quite normal. This one year time lapse video illustrates this phenomenon:

http://www.msdiscovery.org/news/news_sy ... -meets-eye
MnRdunck
Family Member

Post by MnRdunck »

I have a diagnosis based on exams and the previous MRI I am not arguing anything I really hope that this is something else BUT do you know what the difference is between a T2 and a Multiecho MRI? I guess that is why I am posting to know the difference between the two.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

ElliotB wrote:"All lesions disapearing would mean whatever caused them was not MS, as this would be uncommon for MS. "

Actually it is quite normal. This one year time lapse video illustrates this phenomenon:

http://www.msdiscovery.org/news/news_sy ... -meets-eye
Those with MS will always have some lesions even if some disappear. If the MRI is clear (no lesions) then a diagnosis of MS is questionable.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

mri nuances not in my wheelhouse. try this http://bit.ly/2AZC3no (i have spared you the sarcastic 'internet explainer' option) ;)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
MnRdunck
Family Member

Post by MnRdunck »

I appreciate the humor, but Google was my 1st stop before here. I guess that is another question for the doc. Kind of like how did my WBC count rocket up from Saturday when I first went to the hospital thinking it was an MS attack and Sunday. The reason I had even brought up the blood was I thought white blood is what attacks myelin.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

not that you're a rat but this is interesting..

Blood Leucocyte Response in Rats Fed a Magnesium Deficient Diet
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 7-99-24377
"Contrary to the gradual rise of total WBC counts in the control group, the counts in the magnesium deficient group increased about 2.4 times the control on the 8th day …"
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

musings... wbc count high when crp is high, crp is high when mag is low...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7005001382
"...recent studies have demonstrated that C-reactive protein levels are elevated in AF. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the correlation between the postoperative white blood cell (WBC) count as a marker of inflammation and the development of postoperative AF after cardiac surgery. ... A more pronounced increase in postoperative WBC count independently predicts development of postoperative AF."

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 5.10719461
"Most Americans consume magnesium at levels below the RDA. Individuals with intakes below the RDA are more likely to have elevated CRP, which may contribute to cardiovascular disease risk."
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

MnRdunck wrote: The reason I had even brought up the blood was I thought white blood is what attacks myelin.
Blood work results will not indicate a Multiple Sclerosis exacerbation (attack, flare-up, relapse)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

although, bloodwork results *can* flag ms associates such as inflammation, response to infection, stress etc, and other chemistry which may vary between ms patients in remission as opposed to relapse

eg serum uric acid - mid normal in remission, low normal in relapse; "Low circulating levels of vitamin D have been found in MS patients, especially during relapses..."

and further re vit d3 status, "there was an inverse association..." ie high d3 = low WBC and vice versa " ...between 25(OH)D and WBC in smokers (p = 0.02) but no association in non-smokers (p = 0.73)." which circles back to magnesium in part.
MnRdunck
Family Member

Post by MnRdunck »

Well my family doc says that lesions can shrink but if you opened my head and looked at my brain you would see that they are still very much there. It is just that they are too small to be detected by the MRI. He feels that I am doing so well with walking and balance that he gave me a prescription for a cane. I have never had one before and felt I was too young but my balance will change some days I repeatedly will almost fall getting out of a chair. Then the next day I can do it again, and it will be awhile before that starts happening again. He also tells me that I need to stop denying this and start the medications.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

and the nutrients ;)
MnRdunck
Family Member

Post by MnRdunck »

Yes he is going to test Vitamin D, Magnesium, Zinc, and Iron. It has been years since anyone checked my D it has been in the dumps for a while that I know of.