35th parallel

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
koneall
Family Elder

35th parallel

Post by koneall »

So it's a given that higher latitude is a factor in MS. The 35th parallel slices through the middle of New Mexico. In population studies this holds true except for parts of Sweden and Italy. I guess the Swedes eat a lot of cold water fish. And Italians eat the Mediterranean diet. So both groups ingest a lot of vitamin D. I live in Wyoming, way north of New Mexico. A lot of sun up here but it's too cold to be outdoors 10 months of the year. I'm wondering about artificial sun, ie tanning beds could be a healthy alternative. I vaguely remember that some produce the correct UV wavelengths for vitamin D and others do not. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I got gift certificates for xmas and want to spend it at a gym that I know has tanning booths.

kaypeeoh
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: 35th parallel

Post by ElliotB »

So it's a given that there is a theory that higher latitude is a factor in MS. It is only a theory and since there many exceptions (more than you list), it likely is not true (but that is just my theory). But ultimately no one knows for sure. Wouldn't it make more sense to move South?
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

Like gravity, everything is just a theory. It was an article that looked at MS incidence and found almost uniformly that living north of the 35th parallel led to increased incidence. They looked at areas where this didn't hold true and only found it in Sweden and Italy, areas where people ingest vitamin D from food. I've lived in Wyoming for 33 years. I run a lot in all weather at 7000ft altitude. . I never use sunscreen. I had my vitamin D level checked and it was only slightly above the minimum norms. I've read that age makes it less likely one can absorb enough vit D, orally or from sun exposure. I'm wondering if 5 grams of Vit D daily coupled with UV exposure might improve the blood level.

kaypeeoh
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

when you don't have enough magnesium on board, your bod can't synthesize as much d3 from sunshine. if only d3 is added to this dynamic, you can expect already low mag to be further depleted via more d3 interactions requiring existing mag to be withdrawn from tissue where it's already low. downward spiral.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

koneall wrote:So it's a given that higher latitude is a factor in MS. The 35th parallel slices through the middle of New Mexico. In population studies this holds true except for parts of Sweden and Italy. I guess the Swedes eat a lot of cold water fish. And Italians eat the Mediterranean diet. So both groups ingest a lot of vitamin D. I live in Wyoming, way north of New Mexico. A lot of sun up here but it's too cold to be outdoors 10 months of the year. I'm wondering about artificial sun, ie tanning beds could be a healthy alternative. I vaguely remember that some produce the correct UV wavelengths for vitamin D and others do not. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I got gift certificates for xmas and want to spend it at a gym that I know has tanning booths.
Other members have tried tanning beds. Try doing a search to find their posts.
MSKarateka
Family Member

Post by MSKarateka »

I have wondered about the tanning bed. I live in Maine, which apparently has twice the national rate of MS. I was thinking for winter use and get natural sun in the warmer months.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"They looked at areas where this didn't hold true and only found it in Sweden and Italy"

There are other population groups that have zero incidence of MS at very high northern latitudes. Oh well.... In theory, the theory sounds good.
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

"...very high northern latitudes..." Are you referring to the Inuit? Their cold-water fish diet gives them a lot of vitamin D.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I like your theory on the theory! It makes sense that diet is probably more of a critical factor and latitude is less relevent!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

if you have not already done so, do your research msk - tanning beds are one thing, uvb light therapy is something else again. and as mentioned, spending money on vit D3 via skin or via supplements is at least in part a waste if cofactors, notably magnesium, are not topped up.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

Because I'm eating mostly veg and nuts and seeds I assume I'm getting a lot of mag. When I google 'magnesium sources' I found I'm eating most of the top 20. But it's not something that I've had tested.

kaypeeoh
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

can be a good idea to dial in that assumption with some math.

if you use 10 mg/kg per day as a target, what does that work out to for you in terms of a personal magnesium requirement? last person i asked about that came out to 800 mg per day.

a daily 1 oz serving of dried pumpkin seeds would get you up to 150 mg.

adding an additional daily 1oz serving of raw cashews would provide 80 mg

another 1oz , this is all on the same day, of roasted almonds (22 kernels) gets you another 80 mg.

a full cup of boiled drained swiss chard (measuring the 1c after cooking) adds 150 mg

1/2 c plain yogurt adds about 14 mg

if that looks like a match for your day in and day out dietary routine, you'll be getting just past halfway to an 800 target at least.

some aim for 7 mg/kg body weight per day, so using the example above they'd be targeting more like 560 mg meaning that the food list above consumed daily would leave them with what, 85 mg to be made up from other food choices that day.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"I'm eating mostly veg and nuts and seeds I assume I'm getting a lot of mag"

The only way to know for sure if you are is through blood testing - better safe than sorry.

The population groups that have zero or virtually zero incidence of MS and other disease in general are typically not vegetarians or vegans.

FWIW, the diet of the Inuit, per the all knowing internet/Google :

Ringed seal and bearded seal are the most important aspect of an Inuit diet and is often the largest part of an Inuit hunter's diet. Land mammals such as caribou, polar bear, and muskox. Birds and their eggs. Saltwater and freshwater fish including sculpin, Arctic cod, Arctic char, capelin and lake trout.

Imagine that, population groups that follow a high good fat diet don't get most of the major illnesses until they change their diet to a more 'modern' diet.
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

I follow McDougall's diet. My only problem with it is his suggestion to add vitamins. Why would cavemen need vitamins?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Why would cavemen need vitamins?"

They likely wouldn't. But today's (modern) fruits and vegetables for various reasons lack the nutrition they once had and should have naturally (and actually unfortunately have minimal nutrition).

Return to “General Discussion”